Need suggestions for a great Beef Stock!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello fellow foodies!

I've got the makings of chicken stock well under control and I'm happy with the outcome. I've never tried making a Beef stock however, so I'm looking for some suggestions. I would be most grateful if you could share a recipe for this as well.

Thanks!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hi John, beef stocks are pretty well described in nearly any recipe book. However, this is my take on it. My beef stock calls for beef mince and oxtail. The reason - beef mince is usually made from cheap cuts of meat which are usually more flavoursome. Oxtail is probably the beefiest tasting cut from the cow and is full of gelatin. I also cook my beef stock in a pressure cooker - this is an essential step which produces a much superior stock. When you make beef stock using a normal stock pot, the delicious beef aromas you smell is flavour escaping from the stock! A pressure cooker seals it all in produces a much more flavoursome stock with no flavour loss.

Some traditional stock recipes call for using ham bones or pork, but these IMO dilute the flavour of the stock. Why add these when you could add more beef? I also include a tiny amount of star anise - this is not enough for you to detect but it will boost the flavour of beef (a trick I learnt from Heston).

INGREDIENTS
- 1000gm oxtail, cut into pieces
- 500gm beef mince
- 200gm carrot, rough dice
- 200gm onions, rough dice
- 100gm celery, rough dice
- 1/2 a leek
- bouquet garni - 4 bay leaf, 8 sprigs of thyme, handful of parsley, small bunch of tarragon or chervil
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- 1/2 a star anise
- 6L water

METHOD
Spread the mince into a thin layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast for 45 minutes at 180C or until browned. Turn the mince halfway. Roast the oxtail the same way. Do not allow to burn - if you get any burnt bits, cut it off. Roasting gives you a roast beef flavour and helps deepen the flavour of the stock. Meanwhile, chop all the veggies and add to the water. Bring to a slow simmer. Once the meat is browned to your liking, add it to the stock. Deglaze the pan with water and add to the stock. Continue boiling for a few minutes, skimming the stock. Seal the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure. Make sure the PC does not vent. This is very important - a PC which vents will allow flavour molecules to escape and allow the contents to boil, which will extract off flavours and spoil the clarity of your stock. Once two hours is up, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to dissipate naturally. Strain the stock, pressing on the solids to extract as much as possible. Once the stock is cool, ladle off the oil that has risen to the top.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
John

I believe Keith may have one on the forum.

I don't have recipes, more of a process. Roast bones with veg carrots, celery, leeks(clean well), onions half them leave skin on, place cut side on roasting pan bottom so they brown well. Roast awhile then dump into stock pot. Simmer at least 2hrs, longer if you have the time. The opposite of the fish stock tech mentioned on another thread. Strain, defat. Don't forget to skim off the foamy impurities for the first 1/2hr. After that subsides add herbs seasoning, I like fresh thyme sprigs and bay leafs. I don't use a garnie since I'm straining anyway.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys! I don't have a pressure cooker as they kind of scare me. I know that's ridiculous to say, but I've heard some horror stories. So I guess the next step is to ask what I should be looking for in a safe pressure cooker, if making beef stock that way truly is best.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'll have defer since I don't use one. I like to see/taste as the stock develops.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing