Some Initial Thoughts

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For non-vinyl listeners, there's an SACD of Jazz Giants and the aforementioned XRCD of The Poll Winners; both are available for very reasonable prices, in fact I saw them at last year's RAMF for under $20 each.

after reading this thread, decided to check it out on Amazon and ordered Jazz Giants (Complete Sessions) Fresh Sound label...looking forward to hearing it. Not really for any audiophile reasons...just seems like good music.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It is that, for sure. FWIW, the SACD sounds lots better (to me), so much so I suspect it's a different mastering.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Has anyone listened to the new Trenner & Friedl speaker (the Isis?) in the Profundo room (Atrium 232, or maybe 230, the same exhibitor is in both rooms)?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
after reading this thread, decided to check it out on Amazon and ordered Jazz Giants (Complete Sessions) Fresh Sound label...looking forward to hearing it. Not really for any audiophile reasons...just seems like good music.

Did you see who's backing Carter on this album Lloyd? A virtual who's who of jazz musicians! :)

Ben Webster, Andre Previn/Jimmy Rowles, Barney Kessel, Frank Rosolino, Leroy Vinegar and Shelly Manne! Holy crap!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

You will also like "Swinging in the '20's" on Contemporary. Benny Carter plays trumpet. Fabulous sonics.

Got to see him shortly before he passed. He missed a high note on a solo and after the tune was over shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said " that's what happens after you turn 90!"

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just got home and getting my system warmed up for the get together later..

I can say that the VanDersteen room sounded better today than yesterday and I too am going to get the two as well and thanks rbbert for the SACD suggestion

Myles I am truly impressed that you knew not only which album it was but also which side and track. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket tonight if you can give me the winning numbers :)

Here's an interesting room I was in by myself today and it caught my interest so much that I was there loger than most other rooms. I spent the morning redoing the Hilton Hotel to be sure there was nothing I missed and this afternoon I as at the Atrium having seen 1/2 of it yesterday.

I stumbled into The Lotus Group Room in 323 Atrium

As I said I was alone but what drew me in was not only the sound but the look of the speakers. Once in I had the pleasure of meeting the President of The Lotus Group, Mr Joseph Cohen who spent the time going over the speaker design as well as the rest of the equipment. Suffice it to say it was very impressive

Lotus Group G2 Loudspeakers, an open baffle, three way actively triamped loudspeaker with DSP crossover and room calibration by one of the companies engineers. Now here's what was also interesting. Each room is personally calibrated and the crossover optimized by the engineer for the best room response. I thought the front design was very appealing and there is essentially no back as the drivers and wiring is all right there but the sound was terrific.

Preamp was the SMC VRE-1C by Steve McCormick who was there as I was leaving. Steve is a member here at WBF

All cables were Pranawire which is a complete line deigned and made by The Lotus group. Allin all there was ~$55K in cables but damn everything to my ears sounded treally good.

Digital with a complete dcs Stack for another $70K (I didn't hear digital and honestly dcs for me has never been an ear opener. What did catch my attention was the TT called Hanss T-60which comes from China where I guess it is assembled with motor and other parts made elsewhere

The arm was the Durand 12"Telos armed with the Ortofon Anna with the heavy Durand record weight which has been described by MikeL

The Lotus Group is the Distributor for the TT and I was amazed that MSRP is $8250 (the everything else is $31.5K)

Joe Cohen advised me there was a T-40 playing next door at $6250

Looks just like Christians Clear Audio

Air Tight was the phono pre and step up

Also an EsotericE3 phono stage

All I all I was drawn to the room by the sound and I was totally impressed with the analog sound I heard

I do have photos of the room and hope to have everything posted by tomorrow

Total room $369,000

Steve Williams

Last caveat of the day and this speaker was turned on to me by none other than our Andre Marc who was strolling the halls today.He was dead on and for my ears these speakers were the absolute SHOW STOPPER and best deal at The Show

Specifically the new KEF 50th Anniversary LS-50 which was mind boggling. Single aluminum driver with a broze color that gave out sound that people were banging on the door to get a seat

Desk top speakers

MSRP $1500......you heard me

Thank you Andre Marc for that one

If you're going tomorrow, don't miss them

This speaker is competitive with speakers many times its price

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just got home and getting my system warmed up for the get together later..

I can say that the VanDersteen room sounded better today than yesterday and I too am going to get the two as well and thanks rbbert for the SACD suggestion

Myles I am truly impressed that you knew not only which album it was but also which side and track. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket tonight if you can give me the winning numbers :)

Here's an interesting room I was in by myself today and it caught my interest so much that I was there loger than most other rooms. I spent the morning redoing the Hilton Hotel to be sure there was nothing I missed and this afternoon I as at the Atrium having seen 1/2 of it yesterday.

I stumbled into The Lotus Group Room in 323 Atrium

As I said I was alone but what drew me in was not only the sound but the look of the speakers. Once in I had the pleasure of meeting the President of The Lotus Group, Mr Joseph Cohen who spent the time going over the speaker design as well as the rest of the equipment. Suffice it to say it was very impressive

Lotus Group G2 Loudspeakers, an open baffle, three way actively triamped loudspeaker with DSP crossover and room calibration by one of the companies engineers. Now here's what was also interesting. Each room is personally calibrated and the crossover optimized by the engineer for the best room response. I thought the front design was very appealing and there is essentially no back as the drivers and wiring is all right there but the sound was terrific.

Preamp was the SMC VRE-1C by Steve McCormick who was there as I was leaving. Steve is a member here at WBF

All cables were Pranawire which is a complete line deigned and made by The Lotus group. Allin all there was ~$55K in cables but damn everything to my ears sounded treally good.

Digital with a complete dcs Stack for another $70K (I didn't hear digital and honestly dcs for me has never been an ear opener. What did catch my attention was the TT called Hanss T-60which comes from China where I guess it is assembled with motor and other parts made elsewhere

The arm was the Durand 12"Telos armed with the Ortofon Anna with the heavy Durand record weight which has been described by MikeL

The Lotus Group is the Distributor for the TT and I was amazed that MSRP is $8250 (the everything else is $31.5K)

Joe Cohen advised me there was a T-40 playing next door at $6250

Looks just like Christians Clear Audio

Air Tight was the phono pre and step up

Also an EsotericE3 phono stage

All I all I was drawn to the room by the sound and I was totally impressed with the analog sound I heard

I do have photos of the room and hope to have everything posted by tomorrow

Total room $369,000

Better be careful with all that listening to analog Steve :) You might wake up one day and find a turntable on your front doorstep ;)

Steve Williams

Final shout out

I never cease to be impressed with Philip O'Hanlon's Room every year at every show. Those Vivid Giga speakers which always remind me of the Diva in Fifth Element and are so butt ugly but to my ears always sounds wonderful. His electronics always sound wonderful and he always has the best music. Whenever I heard DSOTM or Tin Pan Alley I passed on the room. However Philip always has music uniquely different and stuff on tape to die for.

Don't miss On A Higher Note on the Main Level in The Hilton

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did you see who's backing Carter on this album Lloyd? A virtual who's who of jazz musicians! :)

Ben Webster, Andre Previn/Jimmy Rowles, Barney Kessel, Frank Rosolino, Leroy Vinegar and Shelly Manne! Holy crap!

Wow! Looking forward to it!!! Thanks!!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You will also like "Swinging in the '20's" on Contemporary. Benny Carter plays trumpet. Fabulous soinics.

Got to see him shortly before he passed. He missed a high note on a solo and after the tune was over shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said " that's what happens after you turn 90!"

Thanks...I will look it up!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Just spent two hours at the show-

Vivid sounded much better with a Luxman integrated last year than 30k of mola mola gear today. Cant wait to get a Brinkmann Bardo someday though :)

Vandy- just dont get the appeal. Smooth, hooded sound that is dynamically challenged. Doesnt sound like real instruments to me. YG next door was much more dynamic- thought the Sonjas more coherant than Anats. Tenor is only match ive ever heard YGs sound good.

Tad has so much resolution and promise, but his electronics are sterile (people shot the messenger last year when i said this) They sounded better downstairs on concert fidelity despite a terrible room.

So far, no best in show rooms.

Anyone hear the KR Audio or Line Magnetic rooms? On list for tomorrow. As well as Wilson, SF, and Magico, and other usual suspects

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Last caveat of the day and this speaker was turned on to me by none other than our Andre Marc who was strolling the halls today.He was dead on and for my ears these speakers were the absolute SHOW STOPPER and best deal at The Show

Specifically the new KEF 50th Anniversary LS-50 which was mind boggling. Single aluminum driver with a broze color that gave out sound that people were banging on the door to get a seat

Desk top speakers

MSRP $1500......you heard me

Thank you Andre Marc for that one

If you're going tomorrow, don't miss them

This speaker is competitive with speakers many times its price

Hey Steve, thanks for the shout out! Good to see you today.

The kicker is that they are selling the LS-50 for $1200 as a show special.
They sold 6 pairs on Friday, and when I went in this morning a fellow bought
a pair on the spot.

BTW, Jeff Dorgay, publisher of Tone Audio, turned me on to these little gems. He has
actually just purchased a pair of the Blades, the Kef reference speaker.

I will post some further thoughts about what I heard in other rooms....

Just a teaser...I really liked Harbeth 30.1's.... and the MBL room..very well set up
and playing tape!

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I was at MBL room when they switched to after hour programming (6:03 pm) and started by playing some Led Zep tunes on tape, I was not on the best spot but it sounded good. One of the guys said "don't be shy to turn it a little louder" and so they did. It was measuring well over 80 db on the sound meter app on my cel phone :D

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I took this brief video at the UHA room where Greg Baron was playing the UHA RtoR with I believe a piece from Nils Lofgren. ...

Sounds promising from your recording. How did you like the demo?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing