Some Initial Thoughts

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
80% of the msrp price ? I wonder if they will require a receipt, which may be difficult. The only way I see them doing this is to give you 80% msrp with or without receipt and that will be your discount off Valhalla v2 msrp pricing.

they work off what the MSRP was of the cable type, length and termination you bought

Steve Williams

i was in the room when Randy put on an LP of Shelly Manne's Sounds unheard of! and this system produced the 'jump factor' like no other...part way through the cut, Joe Harley of audioquest who was right in front of me turned to Randy "what is this!" the experience was sublime.

so you heard it as well Rob? It was simply amazing what I heard

Steve Williams

I forgot to mention that another interesting highlight was in the Playback Designs room Andreas Koch introduced their new IS3 an integrated unit containing transport, DAC and amplifier for an MSRP of $13K. Sounded pretty darn good hearing it through the EA MMMicroOne speakers which were on a new stand (one I hadn't seen before) that Andreas said was the official stands for the speaker

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
so you heard it as well Rob? It was simply amazing what I heard

Sid Marks wrote about this album many years ago in Ultimate Audio :) It's another Contemporary recording from the Grrrrrrr8 Roy DuNann! If you haven't, get ahold of some of these early Contemporary recordings done in the late 50s. They'll blow you mind. My favorite, musically and sonically, is Benny Carter Jazz Giant or The Poll Winners also with Shelly Manne (and Barney Kessell and Ray Brown-MEP talked about my recommending this a while back on WBF). And remember these recordings were done in Contemporary's mail room after hours!

Steve Williams

Myles

you know I don't have vinyl but always love hearing the music produced by all of the analog rigs but even though my experience is vastly different than yours, I can say that first off, I have seen the big acrylic Basis turntable many times but always on static display. This was the first time I heard it and played through the new Audio Research Phonostge, preamp and Reference 250 amps. All I can say is when that part played, everyone was knocked off their seats. For me at least I have never heard such amazing bass played on vinyl (again that's me as I am sure you probably have countless examples). Everyone's eyes lit up and people started asking what subs they were playing with the 7A's. It was amazing

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

you know I don't have vinyl but always love hearing the music produced by all of the analog rigs but even though my experience is vastly different than yours, I can say that first off, I have seen the big acrylic Basis turntable many times but always on static display. This was the first time I heard it and played through the new Audio Research Phonostge, preamp and Reference 250 amps. All I can say is when that part played, everyone was knocked off their seats. For me at least I have never heard such amazing bass played on vinyl (again that's me as I am sure you probably have countless examples). Everyone's eyes lit up and people started asking what subs they were playing with the 7A's. It was amazing

Of course, but they are also digitally done. Or you can buy a turntable :)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6...ly_Manne-The_Poll_Winner-_Continuance-XRCD_CD

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
well Keith, before you're shocked, have a listen

+1

When it's done right, It can be completely shocking. Most times when at shows or dealerships, I hear potential from Vandersteen and Basis but I know it can be better. It seems to me that two of the brands I can respect got together with ARC in the middle. Based on the comments above, the combination looks to be an impressive demo this time around.

Dre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sid Marks wrote about this album many years ago in Ultimate Audio :) It's another Contemporary recording from the Grrrrrrr8 Roy DuNann! If you haven't, get ahold of some of these early Contemporary recordings done in the late 50s. They'll blow you mind. My favorite, musically and sonically, is Benny Carter Jazz Giant or The Poll Winners also with Shelly Manne (and Barney Kessell and Ray Brown-MEP talked about my recommending this a while back on WBF). And remember these recordings were done in Contemporary's mail room after hours!

For non-vinyl listeners, there's an SACD of Jazz Giants and the aforementioned XRCD of The Poll Winners; both are available for very reasonable prices, in fact I saw them at last year's RAMF for under $20 each.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sure sounded plenty dynamic in the Vandersteen room with the Aesthetix electronics at CES. Plus, Richard will be/is (?) offering a new self powered version where he's able to match the drivers to a push-push amplifier.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
+1

When it's done right, It can be completely shocking. Most times when at shows or dealerships, I hear potential from Vandersteen and Basis but I know it can be better. It seems to me that two of the brands I can respect got together with ARC in the middle. Based on the comments above, the combination looks to be an impressive demo this time around.

Dre

I have had the great pleasure of hearing Dre's system and he is being quite modest. In his system, the Basis and Vandersteen combo is killer!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had a very pleasant and informative visit to Newport yesterday. Had the great pleasure of finally meeting Steve and of listening to his great system after the show.
I totally agree with Steve as to his 1st day impressions of the show. For me, the highlight of the show was the Wilson room displaying the Alexia's. IMO, this room got it right in more ways than any other room at the show.
In a larger suite than most on the floor, Debbie W and her crew managed to get the new Alexia to not only do all of the things that we a'philes listen for, BUT also to get close to the sound of a 'live' piano in a room.( Which, IMHO is a real test of your system). The system which consisted of ARC Ref 250's an ARC Ref 10 and the AMG table was superb.
I thought the next best system was in Greg Baron's room with the UHA deck. RtoR is certainly a superior source to all others, again IMO. Using the UHA deck, amps from AVM Germany and Gauder Akustik's speakers, this small system was incredible. On the reel of Hugh Masekela's Stimela ( The coal train)....which BTW, I have heard Hugh play live, the resolution of fine detail and the system's dynamic ability was as good as I have ever heard.
Not quite as accurate as the Alexia system, BUT superb nonetheless.
OTOH, there were plenty of less than stellar sounds...I was particularly disappointed with the sound in the Rockport room..expecting great things from their new speaker...it just didn't seem to work at all in that room.
I know many of us 'love' the little EA MicroMMicroOn'es, but I was not impressed this time in their room demo'ing with the new Playback integrated. Too bright ( which is a problem that I have heard with this speaker before) and sounding strained ( which again, I have heard before). Perhaps good for the money, BUT IMHO not a speaker of the first class.
BTW, Steve and I both heard immediately the difference in the Nordost demo when the new Valhalla 2 was inserted replacing the older Valhalla power cord. Like Steve, I was very much hoping that we wouldn't hear the diff, BUT no luck:( Price diff between the two cables is not for the weak of heart!:eek:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Keith

I just got out if the Vandersteen room again to confirm what I heard yesterday and it is the real thing.

I had them play the same cut on the album and yes Myles that was the album you mentioned

That album rocks! I love the first cut on side one :) Real test of a system's resolution.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith

I just got out if the Vandersteen room again to confirm what I heard yesterday and it is the real thing.

I had them play the same cut on the album and yes Myles that was the album you mentioned

Randy still not allowing digital right? I'll bring down the new Postal Service remaster on LP to have fun with instead. Having a cut of an unfamiliar album is tough on my ears.

Steve Williams

That album rocks! I love the first cut on side one :) Real test of a system's resolution.

Mykes

You hit it right on. It was indeed the first track of side one that was killer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing