Some Initial Thoughts

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Very well attended I thought for a Friday

So far IMO the 2 best rooms I heard were the Wilson Alexia with Audio Research Ref250's and Richard Vandersteen's room also with Audio Research Ref 250's.

The one speaker that I thought really perked my ears up was the Nola Metro Grand Reference Gold which I gather is a new speaker in their lineup. For a small speaker I couldn't believe how good it sounded.
$22K

Spent most of the day at the Hilton and only briefly at The Atrium but will be back the next 2 days

The absolute kick a$$ best part of The Show was the valet lot of high end cars right in front of the Hilton starting with Kevin Deal's (Upscale Audio) and his 2 Ferrari's, another Audio company with a row of Mercedes starting with a white SLS with gull wing doors open, followed by an SL 63 with top down and a brown Rolls Royce that was jaw dropping beautiful. This is what High end audio is all about :)

Steve Williams

Had a lengthy audition of the Dspeaker anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core Processor and with the Show special of $999 I thought this was a good deal. Clearly this piece of gear can be used to tame troublesome rooms from 300Hz down

Also had a lengthy audition of the new Valhalla V2 and darn it but it clearly is on a different level than original Valhalla and I have to admit I was convinced when Michael from Nordost demonstrated how the entire sound of the system changes when a single V2 power cord is changed for an original Valhalla. All I can say is that the build on the V2 is very special right down to Nordost making most of the parts such as Spades, AC connector etc. Odin doesn't even have these same parts although Michael intimated that a newer Odin might surface with the same Nordost manufactured parts

Michael also said that Nordost has a program going on where they will give you 80% of the original purchase price of your Valhalla towards V2 cables

Steve Williams

Also met Greg Beron from UHA and had a long listen to his modded UHA Tascam RTR with some amazing tape.

My 3rd favorite room was Bill Parish's from GTT Audio showing the new YG speaker Sonja driven by Tenor stereo amp and Kubala Sosna cables

For those asking me what gear Lamm will demo I can say that it is in the same room as Greg Beron from UHA, was the new ML 2.2, on static display today but apparently will be in action tomorrow

BTW, I have countless photos of the show that I will color correct and then post

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks!

Thanks for the information Steve. Were the any Aida's setup?

I'm glad you liked the rooms with the Ref 250's. Those are the amps I have! :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Had a lengthy audition of the Dspeaker anti-mode 2.0 Dual Core Processor and with the Show special of $999 I thought this was a good deal. Clearly this piece of gear can be used to tame troublesome rooms from 300Hz down

Also had a lengthy audition of the new Valhalla V2 and darn it but it clearly is on a different level than original Valhalla and I have to admit I was convinced when Michael from Nordost demonstrated how the entire sound of the system changes when a single V2 power cord is changed for an original Valhalla. All I can say is that the build on the V2 is very special right down to Nordost making most of the parts such as Spades, AC connector etc. Odin doesn't even have these same parts although Michael intimated that a newer Odin might surface with the same Nordost manufactured parts

Michael also said that Nordost has a program going on where they will give you 80% of the original purchase price of your Valhalla towards V2 cables

Steve, are you considering a DSPeaker unit?

Interesting about Nordost. I have major issues with their typical canned demos, which break every rule of neutrality, but the Valhalla 2 does sound impressive.
That very generous trade in sure sounds like they have a huge built in profit margin. OOpps. They might kick me out of the room if they see this. I will be there tomorrow.:cool:

Also agree BIG TIME on Sanders.

Steve Williams

Thanks for the information Steve. Were the any Aida's setup?

I'm glad you liked the rooms with the Ref 250's. Those are the amps I have! :)

Aida's were there. Sonus Faber had many dealers there. Aida was there but they were playing a different speaker. FWIW I think I told you that IMO the Aida/Ref 250 was the best in show 2 years ago.

Steve Williams

When I was in the VanDersteen room, the 7A's were playing also with Ref 250 and all Audio Research gear with the big TOL acrylic Basis TT. When there they played some vinyl that had some very loud low frequency sound that knocked our heads back and everyone asked "where are the subs". It was that good.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
we headed to the Hilton/Atrium straight from the airport at 3pm but cannot get any parking, even at the overflow so we headed to the Pelican Hills. We're hungry and tired (left home at 5am), I thought we should just relax and gather our strength for tomorrow and Sunday. Will try to be there early tomorrow.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
When I was in the VanDersteen room, the 7A's were playing also with Ref 250 and all Audio Research gear with the big TOL acrylic Basis TT. When there they played some vinyl that had some very loud low frequency sound that knocked our heads back and everyone asked "where are the subs". It was that good.

i was in the room when Randy put on an LP of Shelly Manne's Sounds unheard of! and this system produced the 'jump factor' like no other...part way through the cut, Joe Harley of audioquest who was right in front of me turned to Randy "what is this!" the experience was sublime.

otoh, The magico q7/vac/synergistic demo was a disaster. the room had to be the culprit, the sound never left the speaker positions. i was on axis and in the sweet spot. nothing gelled and the mid band was overly 'shouty'. this was a closed door demo so we were a captive audience and had to sit through denny's unconvincing demo of his active cables and isolation bases. when the lights came up my buddy turned to me and said "i want those thirty minutes of my life back"

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Did Sonus Faber show the Olympicas? I am really interested in the monitors.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Nordost demonstrations are the poster child of snake oil salesmanship. There is not even the pretense of a control when the cables are switched because they switch the music source as well. Ask them to go back and play the previous cable using the same music source and they spew enough BS to make me puke. Don't misunderstand my point. I am a Valhalla owner and I own lots of them. But their demos make me sick.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Was it the original or reissue of Sounds Unheard Of? If it was the latter, you ain't heard but a fraction of the actual recording ;) that wasn't one of Chad's best reissues. He lost much of the ambience, etc. of the original. Get the original. It can be found!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i was in the room when Randy put on an LP of Shelly Manne's Sounds unheard of! and this system produced the 'jump factor' like no other...part way through the cut, Joe Harley of audioquest who was right in front of me turned to Randy "what is this!" the experience was sublime.

otoh, The magico q7/vac/synergistic demo was a disaster. the room had to be the culprit, the sound never left the speaker positions. i was on axis and in the sweet spot. nothing gelled and the mid band was overly 'shouty'. this was a closed door demo so we were a captive audience and had to sit through denny's unconvincing demo of his active cables and isolation bases. when the lights came up my buddy turned to me and said "i want those thirty minutes of my life back"

Now that's priceless! ROTFLMAO,

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nordost demonstrations are the poster child of snake oil salesmanship. There is not even the pretense of a control when the cables are switched because they switch the music source as well. Ask them to go back and play the previous cable using the same music source and they spew enough BS to make me puke. Don't misunderstand my point. I am a Valhalla owner and I own lots of them. But their demos make me sick.

I could not have said it any better. How about the fact that they use the oldest trick in the book found in sales 101, they TELL YOU up front what YOU can expect to hear.

They have great products, but they have been running these BS demos for a decade now and people lap it up.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Wow...that's a surprise. I have a Valhalla digicable and like it quite a lot...a good product, so its disappointing to hear they would try to demonstrate that way.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

80% of the msrp price ? I wonder if they will require a receipt, which may be difficult. The only way I see them doing this is to give you 80% msrp with or without receipt and that will be your discount off Valhalla v2 msrp pricing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
80% of the msrp price ? I wonder if they will require a receipt, which may be difficult. The only way I see them doing this is to give you 80% msrp with or without receipt and that will be your discount off Valhalla v2 msrp pricing.

Agree. In fact, your way, Christian, sounds similar to the way Transparent allows owners to upgrade their cables to the next level.

Steve Williams

Marty

he used the same source, same track and same volume level

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing