ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You have to "buy it for $0. Hit the "click here" link. If it doesn't work, it may be because their shopping cart only handles US dollars and they are disabling out of country access.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It worked for me too, but there were a zillion machinations to "buy" the download for $ 0.00.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You have to "buy it for $0. Hit the "click here" link. If it doesn't work, it may be because their shopping cart only handles US dollars and they are disabling out of country access.

I did exactly that; still no go! ...The advantage of being a Canadian?

* Maybe they think Canadians are spammers? ;)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Did you enter a credit card?

When I was making the purchase, they already had my credit card from past purchases.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No Gary, I did not enter a credit card number.

* It's OK now; Matt is taking care of me. :b

-> And TAS Guide to High-Performance Loudspeakers is also free to download. :cool:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
How times have changed with TAS.

In the issue we downloaded, it states that reviewers purchased the equipment from regular sources and they had no advertizing. Now they get equipment on loan that they keep indefinitely or free from manufacturers and they have plenty of advertizing.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I loved the following quote: It isn't true, though, that advertising itself corrupts. It is the need, or the greed, for advertising that does the corrupting.

How prescient and relevant for today's TAS

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I loved the following quote: It isn't true, though, that advertising itself corrupts. It is the need, or the greed, for advertising that does the corrupting.

How prescient and relevant for today's TAS

Just to be fair, that goes for all the hi-fi rags.

There is something to be said for having to buy a product with your own money when you evaluate it.

After the review, the equipment can be sold on the pre-owned market.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How times have changed with TAS.

In the issue we downloaded, it states that reviewers purchased the equipment from regular sources and they had no advertizing. Now they get equipment on loan that they keep indefinitely or free from manufacturers and they have plenty of advertizing.

And at that time I owned (on a student's budget) much of what they reviewed (the ADC XLM in an AR table, the dual Large Advents, and a Phase Linear 400 rather than 700). Zero chance of that being able to happen today. :D:D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I remember where I was when i read that issue the first time- i had a parttime job working at a Lafayette Radio store. I eventually had the PL 700/double Advent system described in the issue. I bought a boxful of back issues of TAS years ago from the publisher, and got a reprinted edition of the first several issues. I still have all of them, up to a point. I enjoyed reading TAS back in the day, along with the early J. Gordon Holt issues of Stereophile, published erratically from Elwyn, Pa.
At the time, I remember the 'over the top' gear being the Infinity Servo-Statik, the ML electronics, DaytonWright Electrostats. Not many high end tables then- I bought an Panny SP-10, which was considered top drawer. Got an SP-3-a-1 preamp, a Dual 75a amp, both from ARC and ran a set of old Quads. No fancy cables then (the Fulton wasn't widely known or available, at least in my world). Didn't really focus on acoustic treatments, but spent mucho time on positioning of the Quads to get them to sing. I lived happily with that system for a long time with occasional tube replacements, add on ribbons, a subwoofer (which I could never get to integrate well with the Quads). I still have most of those components, although none are in active use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing