Constellation Audio - just play flat and loud or Make Music? Just Expensive orGood?

caesar

May 30, 2010
TAS has really been pumping this brand up recently. Unfortunately, those guys have have pumped up other stuff as "best" in the past and even Valin now admits is not for music lovers. Unfortunately for TAS, however, rebuilding trust is not as simple as hitting the undo button on your computer or mobile device...

So what does this gear sound like? Any music lovers (vs. flat measurement guys) like this brand? Does this gear sing, or just play flat and loud? Does it play music or just execute the audiophile vocabulary to perfection, while missing the musical whole that puts the music lover in a state of flow?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
whats not to like other than the price?? i heard them under show conditions driving the magico s5 it was in my top 5 at last years newport show. first and foremost i must like magico s5's since you're really hearing speakers interact with the room first the electronics are harder to discern without audtioning them separately. with that proviso, i conditionally give constellation a big thmbs up and the aesthetics appeal to the industrial designer in me. honestly, who cares what TAS says anymore :rolleyes:

caesar

May 30, 2010
i heard them under show conditions driving the magico s5 it was in my top 5 at last years newport show. first and foremost i must like magico s5's since you're really hearing speakers interact with the room first the electronics are harder to discern without audtioning them separately. with that proviso, i conditionally give contesllation a big thmbs up and the aesthetics appeal to the industrial designer in me. honestly, who cares what TAS says anymore :rolleyes: whats not to like other than the price??

I don't really care about what TAS says and I don't trust what they have to say, hence the thread....

Doesn't Magico design with Constellation, resulting in the synergy you mention? And does Constellation sound good with anything other than Magico?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
good point. i guess i'll never know if the S5 sounded as good as they because of the constellation gear or if the S5 could sound better with different electronics.:confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard them driving Andras. Sounded good to me. The system had a touch of sweetness actually.

Velocitymj

Mar 20, 2013
www.acustomelectric.com
I heard Constellation's gear driving the Magico S1 (in a somewhat small room) at Newport on Saturday and Sunday.
That was one of the 3 or 4 best sounding systems I heard there .
The Magico Q7 system, driven by VAC, while impressive to look at and with a spatial quality to the sound stage to match, didn't sound as natural to me (perhaps that was because of room acoustics as there was a noticeable resonance to the sound).
I was actually surprised to find them running on VAC.
There are a number of high end amps and preamps that have impressed me, most recently darTZeel, but Constellation's gear sounded so good, that it's now on my list as the end goal to own.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
These pairings is something I'll never understand. People just shoot themselves in the foot. They're rather using something from a "buddy", or some line they want to push, instead of using what's best.

I have the pre/power Constellation combo here for a trial, and I'll run them on a Q3. Let's see how it goes, against my darTZeel pre/power (still the undisputed champ around here).

alexandre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I heard Constellation's gear driving the Magico S1 (in a somewhat small room) at Newport on Saturday and Sunday.
That was one of the 3 or 4 best sounding systems I heard there ..

I heard them as well and think this is the best I've ever heard Magico. The Q7's on the other hand sounded like doo doo.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I heard them as well and think this is the best I've ever heard Magico. The Q7's on the other hand sounded like doo doo.

The Q7s were the victim of crappy audiophile drivel, poor set up, and a way too complicated system.

I think that guy Ted Denney from Synergistic is brilliant, and has amazing ideas, but he engages in over kill..

Fuses on cables, tubed power supply for the cables..and tranquility bases? Gimme a break.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have the pre/power Constellation combo here for a trial, and I'll run them on a Q3. Let's see how it goes, against my darTZeel pre/power (still the undisputed champ around here).

alexandre

This will be a very interesting exercise. Do you already have the version II of the Virgo line stage?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Humm... The boxes just got here today, and I didn't plug them in yet. I wanted to get reacquainted with the Q3+darTZeel combo.
Would it be clearly labelled, or is it a subtle thing? Their website doesn't mention a "II" model...

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Humm... The boxes just got here today, and I didn't plug them in yet. I wanted to get reacquainted with the Q3+darTZeel combo.
Would it be clearly labelled, or is it a subtle thing? Their website doesn't mention a "II" model...

alexandre

Alexandre,

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the Constellation gear. I can't ever see giving up the Dartzeel. Everything else is negotiable :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
So you can't be a music lover and love accurate reproduction of music now? Man, this is getting to be a small club.

Tim

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Q7s were the victim of crappy audiophile drivel, poor set up, and a way too complicated system.

I think that guy Ted Denney from Synergistic is brilliant, and has amazing ideas, but he engages in over kill..

Fuses on cables, tubed power supply for the cables..and tranquility bases? Gimme a break.

Amazing ideas? more like desperate for new business ideas

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Alexandre,

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on the Constellation gear. I can't ever see giving up the Dartzeel. Everything else is negotiable :)

Joe- after hearing TAD in multiple rooms this weekend, can't think of a better match than Dartzeel for those speakers. Enjoy the bliss!

I am going to hear the 8550 vs. my Valvet Class A monos (with no negative feedback either) next weekend, so will be an interesting comparison.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
These pairings is something I'll never understand. People just shoot themselves in the foot. They're rather using something from a "buddy", or some line they want to push, instead of using what's best.

I have the pre/power Constellation combo here for a trial, and I'll run them on a Q3. Let's see how it goes, against my darTZeel pre/power (still the undisputed champ around here).

alexandre

I spent time at a local dealer about a week ago listening to the Q3 's and Constellation with the Virgo II. This was the first time I really enjoyed the Magico's after hearing them with Spectral, Balabo, and MSB for power.

I might even try the Virgo II in my system in the near future.

caesar

May 30, 2010
So you can't be a music lover and love accurate reproduction of music now? Man, this is getting to be a small club.

Tim

Phelonious,

Yes, $50K amps is a small club indeed! If they sell b/w 50-100 over a few years, it will judged a triumph. But to your point, some people in this hobby prefer a thinner sounding presentation. It is considered more "high fidelity" for some reason. Others prefer a more fuller, richer, warmer, and more fleshed out sound. Many would prefer a $2k tube amp to a precise $50k SS piece.

Noticing and discussing these differences is a big part of the hobby for many of us. For us, high end audio is an experience. One of the main reason we come to this board to share and discuss these experiences. In the end it's all good. Salmon or tilapia for dinner?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I spent time at a local dealer about a week ago listening to the Q3 's and Constellation with the Virgo II. This was the first time I really enjoyed the Magico's after hearing them with Spectral, Balabo, and MSB for power.

I might even try the Virgo II in my system in the near future.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the differences between the D'Agostino and the Constellation.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe- after hearing TAD in multiple rooms this weekend, can't think of a better match than Dartzeel for those speakers. Enjoy the bliss!

I am going to hear the 8550 vs. my Valvet Class A monos (with no negative feedback either) next weekend, so will be an interesting comparison.

Thank you Keith. I would love you opinion on both of these amps. I am sure the 8550 can hold its own and is an integrated I'd like to own one day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing