Anything Wrong With This Price?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Who the hell would pay $12K+ for a Linn table??

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Remember when it was around $3000 (or slightly under) when first introduced over here? Now I'm really staring to sound like an old fart.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

Actually, people do. The Linn has its own signature sound, so if Linnies love it, who are we to judge?
It isn't at all my cup of tea, but if it allows the end user to experience music to his satisfaction, I'm all for it.

I think a Lyra Olympos is worth its asking price, but a Linnie might think that is insane. We're involved in a pretty mixed up hobby, guys.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Remember when it was around $3000 (or slightly under) when first introduced over here? Now I'm really staring to sound like an old fart.

You should consider that the new Linn is a completely different turntable - only the appearance is similar. BTW, you should look at the price of the Oracle turntable when it was introduced and now (usd 1095 and now usd 8500). IMHO , a similar trend.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

Pretty sure it was a lot less than that...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was just thinking that I see LP-12s for sale all the time on Audiogon for anywhere from $1200 to $3500. I have never seen a used LP-12 going for over $12K. I guess you have to be an expert on Linn to keep up with all the zillions of changes they have had over the years: lingo, pingdo, dingdo, trampoline, hog's head, and real fire in order to determine that a used LP-12 is worth over $12K That's a lot of cash for a glorified AR table (except the AR was easier to setup and it kept "in tune" whereas the Linn requires a mystical magician to keeps the springs bouncy-bouncy).

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Keeps the tweakers tweaking, and when they fall prostrate with exhaustion, they get a few tunes in. Must feed the OC beast before the music.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is an example of a Linn LP-12 at a cheap price which made me gasp at someone who is asking over $12K for their LP-12:

http://http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-linn-sondek-lp12-w-valhalla-origin-live-ittok-lv-ii-dynavector-xx-2-2013-05-30-analog-94612

This guy is asking $1400 for what appears to be an LP-12 in beautiful condition. Now I realize that it doesn't contain the latest and greatest Linn mods, but how much better can you make an LP-12 sound? It is what it is. Edgar Villchur from AR wouldn't be impressed is my guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing