Let's Talk Computer Audio

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
if you want to share your music library with other devices, ripping in FLAC would jeopardize that flexibility.

So what format would you recommend? I have a bunch of devices that don't support ALAC. MP3 is the only "universal" format, so I have ended up with keeping everything in FLAC for archival and home listening, and using a mirroring file system on linux that automatically maintains mp3 copies of the FLAC files for my portable and car players.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I haven't gotten that far. I don't think so. I just needed to click on a song and let it play. Simple.

Andre, I'm having trouble going back and forth playing PCM and DSD. Playing all PCM or all DSD is fine.

Peter, I'll be in the "Systems Design Group and the PTE/Antelope rooms.

Gotcha.

As far as I know, there is no cataloging. Which means one MUST use iTunes integration. iTunes does not touch the file
sonically, it just catalogs, all audio processing is handled by Audirvana, same for Pure Music.

Clicking on a file to play is fine for demos, but for a home system, this won't work. Being able to browse your collection
with a tablet or phone is one of the biggest selling points, and you won't be able to do this without integration.

Steve is going to see, as we all have, that with each new suggestion, a larger and larger spider web is going to grow.

It is no one's fault, it is just the way it is with CA. We already have competing suggestions of platform, ripping format,
and software. Go figure.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce

What if I want to use my PD DAC and don't want a Mytek what are my options

Same thing. I connected my PD with Audirvana and it recognized it instantly. I'm using the USB-X interface. Works perfectly

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All of the info so far is very useful. However, since I'm a total neophyte when it comes to computer audio, maybe someone could help with the very basics. Therefore, my question is what do I need to connect my Mac ( presumably it doesn't matter too much which Mac I'm going to be using....But this brings up another question??) to get from A to B. I assume that it's Mac to some kind of DAC via either a firewire connection or via USB ( quality of the USB connection presumably matters here?? ) An external hard drive is required??? I shall presume that the Audirvana program or Pure Music is required to get the Mac to talk to the DAC. If not, then what is??
Next, if we're talking downloads, how does one know what the download is going to be formatted in?? Sorry, for the stupid ??'s But, i thought that for the neophyte it would be good to start at the beginning.:D

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
All of the info so far is very useful. However, since I'm a total neophyte when it comes to computer audio, maybe someone could help with the very basics. Therefore, my question is what do I need to connect my Mac ( presumably it doesn't matter to much which Mac I'm going to be using....But this brings up another question??) to get from A to B. I assume that it's Mac to some kind of DAC via either a firewire connection or via USB ( quality of the USB connection presumably matters here?? ) An external hard drive is required??? I shall presume that the Audirvana program or Pure Music is required to get the Mac to talk to the DAC. If not, then what is??
Next, if we're talking downloads, how does one know what the download is going to be formatted in?? Sorry, for the stupid ??'s But, i thought that for the neophyte it would be good to start at the beginning.:D

hey Davey:

ok, i will be honest.. your questions are from someone starting at less than zero.:D I really believe you need someone
to actually help you in person. Replies on this forum are going to be a nightmare. Since we live so close, I can help
you get started. I am NOT a CA guru, but I can have you up and running in day. And they did not build Rome in a day.;)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Skip it. Their user base is PC, and that is where they are going to allocate their resources for updates and support.
JRiver spent the last 5 years migrating away from the Windows platform for their source code per this thread. This allows features to easily be added to any OS supported JRiver version going forward. If you look at the weekly build releases for both MAC and Windows versions, they contain mostly the same audio features/improvements. Since they aren't currently supporting video on MAC (and don't know if they will), then only the audio features need to be done on the MAC version making it even easier. The MAC version already supports most of the advanced JRiver audio features such as paramentric EQ, routing, bass management/room correction, and convolution engine. I think they still need to add support for VST plugins.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Not for sale

Vincent

for my clarification, you are suggesting that I use a different program to rip my CD's than what my computer provides, correct...Accurate Rip. Is this a download or where do I find it

By design, bit perfect reading of an audio CD is not guaranteed.
This is inherent to the Redbook audio standard.

AccurateRip is an internet database.
For each ripped track, a checksum is calculated and submitted to this database.
The moment a single bit changes, the checksum will change too.
If you submit your rip to this database the answer is a confidence report.
Confidence because we cannot tell for sure if a rip is the ‘right’ one.

Different users rip the same CD.
As far as the content is concerned, it is the same CD.
However, physical it is a different CD and it scratches are unique for sure!
The optical drive are different too in a likewise manner.

It is not likely that there is a systematically error in the ripping process.

A systematically error would mean that each time a track is ripped exactly the same sector will generate the same read error on each CD on each optical drive.
If this was the case, we might write a program to correct it.

It is likely that the errors are random. Sometimes somewhere a read will not be bit perfect and this will happen with a specific CD on a specific optical drive.

The logical consequence: if the number of users reporting the same checksum increase, the higher the likelihood that this the ‘right’ rip.

As with all statistical approaches, there is no absolute truth, there is likelihood.
However, if your rips are identical with the rips of others, it is highly likely that you do have the right rip.

You cannot buy AccurateRip.
It is part of dBpoweramp but freeware like XLD is allowed to use it

http://www.accuraterip.com/

As you are not scared by Win, I advise to use dBpoweramp.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
JRiver spent the last 5 years migrating away from the Windows platform for their source code per this thread. This allows features to easily be added to any OS supported JRiver version going forward. If you look at the weekly build releases for both MAC and Windows versions, they contain mostly the same audio features/improvements. Since they aren't currently supporting video on MAC (and don't know if they will), then only the audio features need to be done on the MAC version making it even easier. The MAC version already supports most of the advanced JRiver audio features such as paramentric EQ, routing, bass management/room correction, and convolution engine. I think they still need to add support for VST plugins.

so it would be the player for Mac to wait for ?

Do they really have weekly updates

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
Does Audirvana play hi res files as well or is something else needed.Seems Amarra plays up to 192

I also notice that JRiver will support Mac by the end of this year. Will that be the way to go

As far as I know, the ability to play e.g. 192 is a property of your hardware.
If you have e.g. a USB to SPDIF converter supporting this, it will play.
If you use e.g. Toslink on OSX, it is limited to 96 kHz

JRiver for OSX is available but has some rough edges
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=31.0

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
All of the info so far is very useful. However, since I'm a total neophyte when it comes to computer audio, maybe someone could help with the very basics. Therefore, my question is what do I need to connect my Mac ( presumably it doesn't matter too much which Mac I'm going to be using....But this brings up another question??) to get from A to B. I assume that it's Mac to some kind of DAC via either a firewire connection or via USB ( quality of the USB connection presumably matters here?? ) An external hard drive is required??? I shall presume that the Audirvana program or Pure Music is required to get the Mac to talk to the DAC. If not, then what is??

You might be a neophyte but you have the concept right.

We are talking file based audio.
We can browse out file system but this is very much like shelves with CDs
Hence a media player reading all the tags.

Every PC has a DAC and a headphone amp on board. Connect it with a headphone jack to 2x RCA to your amp and you have sound.
As the onboard audio is not the best there is, you need an outboard DAC.

As all PCs have a USB, an asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter is needed to feed your DAC. Alternative is a DAC with a async USB input.

Downloads
Most sites will tell you what the format is or even offering you various formats.
FLAC is very popular but not supported by iTunes and WMP
One of the many good reasons to use another player

A couple of starter issues can be found on my website:
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/Starter.htm

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
so it would be the player for Mac to wait for ?

Do they really have weekly updates

I like its features and ease of use on Windows.

I checked and they have released 11 OSX versions so far in May so evidently they are releasing builds faster since it is still considered alpha/beta. With the Windows versions they release a daily build to the beta team which consists of about 100 users. I am a beta tester and have installed 191 builds so far in version 18. I've been a user since version 9 and a beta tester since around version 15. I install every build on my laptop, HTPC, and work computer. About once a week a build is released to the public. Based on thread responses by the development team, I've seen feature requests be added or bugs fixed in less than 30 minutes. However, the user that made the request might have to wait 3-5 days to get the build that contains the feature.

I also just noticed that they switched from calling the OSX version Alpha to calling it Beta on 5/23.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I like its features and ease of use on Windows.

I checked and they have released 11 OSX versions so far in May so evidently they are releasing builds faster since it is still considered alpha/beta. With the Windows versions they release a daily build to the beta team which consists of about 100 users. I am a beta tester and have installed 191 builds so far in version 18. I've been a user since version 9 and a beta tester since around version 15. I install every build on my laptop, HTPC, and work computer. About once a week a build is released to the public. Based on thread responses by the development team, I've seen feature requests be added or bugs fixed in less than 30 minutes. However, the user that made the request might have to wait 3-5 days to get the build that contains the feature.

I also just noticed that they switched from calling the OSX version Alpha to calling it Beta on 5/23.

Using software being built on the fly in beta or alpha version is not for a novice user. Wise man waits until the dust settles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing