ML1.1 vs M1.1

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Anyone compare the push pull tubes to the hybrid SS amps that Lamm still currently produces?

I have considered the ML2.1s many times, but still a bit concerned about SET bass in my room- several 845 SET amps have not been up to the challenge, but I realize a 6c33 tube is considerably different despite being a triode.

Keith

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have both. I would go with the M1.2 in a heartbeat particularly if you are worried about bass. Bass was not the ML1.1s strong point. Oddly enough it is its upper registers. In fact, despite the power disadvantage of the ML2.1, I felt the latter had more punch and pitch definition down below when driving DB-99 SEs (99dB sensitive at 1w/1m).

I haven't gotten my hands on any ML2.2s yet. The SET market is tiny in the already small market we have.

Did you ever get to try the A3.5r Mk2s with your Zus Keith?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have both. I would go with the M1.2 in a heartbeat particularly if you are worried about bass. Bass was not the ML1.1s strong point. Oddly enough it is its upper registers. In fact, despite the power disadvantage of the ML2.1, I felt the latter had more punch and pitch definition down below when driving DB-99 SEs (99dB sensitive at 1w/1m).

I haven't gotten my hands on any ML2.2s yet. The SET market is tiny in the already small market we have.

Did you ever get to try the A3.5r Mk2s with your Zus Keith?

I have had them about a month, although I let a friend borrow them for the past two weeks---anxiously looking forward to their return. They are super smooth, but vibrant with a nice organic midrange. Will be interesting how I deem their resolution vs pure tubes next week. Bass is very good for Class A.

How outclassed are they by the Lamm M1.2s?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Arthur,

The one to ask is Mullard88. He's the one who turned me on to Lamm. He had M1.1s then went to M1.2s. I only listened to his M1.1s briefly but liked it well enough (understatement :D ) to take on the line. We did pop the hoods to retrieve his tubes a few years later when I delivered M1.2s. The layout and many parts were clearly different.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have had them about a month, although I let a friend borrow them for the past two weeks---anxiously looking forward to their return. They are super smooth, but vibrant with a nice organic midrange. Will be interesting how I deem their resolution vs pure tubes next week. Bass is very good for Class A.

How outclassed are they by the Lamm M1.2s?

With high sensitivity speakers they aren't outclassed at all. A client is using Valvets with his Avantgarde Trios with custom Basshorns (compact version). Another, yet one more dyed in the wool tube guy, is using them with his Living Voice OBX. They have one advantage over the M1.2s. The M1.2s take a good 2 hours to start sounding their best when ambient temperature is low. Ironically that is the case with me because I'm always using AC in this tropical country. The A3.5s take something like 30 minutes. Regardless of sensitivity however M1.2 bass is tighter and punchier but it isn't as smooth up top. A3.5 Mk2 mids are likewise a tad smoother but the tradeoff is density.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing