Mark Levinson ML 30.6 DAC, Opinions Please

J.S.

Mar 31, 2013
Mark Levinson ML 30.6 DAC

I have recently acquired one. It is in mint condition, not one blemish or scratch. (With original factory packaging). Currently, it is resting in its two boxes waiting to be unpacked.

So what should I expect of it? How does this older unit compare with the newer generation? Is it really about sample rate?

Honest opinions are most welcome. I'm up for a discussion!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...a great piece of equipment from what I have read. I have heard the its accompany transport, but not the DAC. Based on my experience listening to SOTA DACs of its generation, I would guess that the 30.6 continues to be a very well balanced unit...it remained the reference of at least one Stereophile Editor for many, many years. Does it have the ability to match today's sota equipment in sheer resolution? Probably not, but not being a resolution freak, I personally am much more focused on the balance of the overall unit, and I think here that could well remain quite a beautiful unit. What transport will you be using? Or will you use computer?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The 30.6 was stereophile's reference back in the 90's until the DCS Elgar came out if my memory serves me correctly. I bet it sounds great.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I have recently acquired one. It is in mint condition, not one blemish or scratch. (With original factory packaging). Currently, it is resting in its two boxes waiting to be unpacked.

So what should I expect of it? How does this older unit compare with the newer generation? Is it really about sample rate?

I think you're going to find that its resolution is limited. Strings were for digital at that time passable but edgy nonetheless. Most of all, it had that ML signature sound: dark and not very transparent.

J.S.

Mar 31, 2013
I think you're going to find that its resolution is limited. Strings were for digital at that time passable but edgy nonetheless. Most of all, it had that ML signature sound: dark and not very transparent.
Thank you for your comment. This is what I am almost expecting from what others have also expressed.

While I do have an extensive CD collection, I have no high resolution or SACD source material. My main interest remains vinyl.

My other experiences with DACs is limited. I own an Audiolab M-DAC which is being used with my transport Studer A727.

The DAC is still unopened in its box awaiting the jumble in the lounge to dissipate. (And hopefully a matching ML 31.5 transport to arrive.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) While I do have an extensive CD collection, I have no high resolution or SACD source material. My main interest remains vinyl.

My other experiences with DACs is limited. I own an Audiolab M-DAC which is being used with my transport Studer A727.

The DAC is still unopened in its box awaiting the jumble in the lounge to dissipate. (And hopefully a matching ML 31.5 transport to arrive.)

Your last line killed my answer - get the matching transport . I have listened to great CD sound from this combo in the past, but the transport was really necessary. And the movement of the cover was fascinating ... Almost equivalent to the movement of the reels in a tape machine! ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
AFAIK it is capable of 24/96 and below. A usb to SPDIF converter and presto! Theres a lot of music to buy at those SRs.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I had a couple of these along with the transport..
Compared to today's converters it'll be slow , dark and kinda veiled.
Still a cool piece. Built like no other in its day......

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The transport might be a better deal, coupled with a modern DAC, like the Bricasti or MSB Analog.

alexandre

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
"Is it really about sample rate?"

I say, no. The native sample rate is of lesser importance, in my opinion. Other factors supersede sample rate as far as subjective sound quality is concerned.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Hi JS,

I previously was a Mark Levinson user in Hong Kong (26S/32/235/336).
Some of the Mark Levinson products that are more than 7 or 8 years old have aged electrolyte capacitors. They are prone to leaking which can damage the circuit boards permanently.
Here is a post in a Hong Kong HiFi forum on this issue. Even though it's in Chinese, there are a lot of photos showing the leaking capacitors & the damaged circuit boards.
http://www.review33.com/avforum/index.php?topic=88101207012248&item=&page=1
IMHO asking a technician to do an internal check is a wise move.

J.S.

Mar 31, 2013
I went with my gut feeling and that of posters.

I acquired the matching ML 31.5 (factory model) transport.

I am pleased with the results. It integrates seamlessly with the balance of my ML system.

It is not the most modern, I agree, but I am very satisfied. It matches the generation of CDs that I own. I have no need at this stage for high-res processing as my source material does not warrant it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
If you are more into vinyl, then you will surely like it! Give it some time....

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Any newer insights and experiences?
I use a 31.5, not the matching DAC, and it is on the same level as my tuned Linn Accurate DS/2 Streamer with ripped CDs, both with digital output.
Best regards

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
For many years I had a Mark Levinson Ref system, including this DAC, the marriage between the parts was perfect, the DAC may be old but still very good! Please, now that it's been a few months, what is your opinion about DAC?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing