A Visit to Jadis

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, thanks for the tour. was the Eurthmie horn speaker in sight? i heard them a ces eons ago, i couldnt pull myself away from thier room. its probably the only speaker i yearn to own before i die.

Yes, there was a pair but it looked like a prototype and was covered in dust. I don't recall ever hearing a pair.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Does sound ultra open up top , even thru the comp speakers ... when & why did they stop production , any idea ? Rare creatures I'll bet ...

they were made for jadis till about the late '90s by a recluse french designer that's supposedly still around. brooks berdan had a pr of mk I's that slipped through my fingers about a year ago, next time ill be more dillgent. the 'alice in wonderland' look is uber cool to boot.

an interesting thread from another forum:
http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I really like the appearance of the Jadis Eurythmie speakers. A lot of people don't, but they knock me out every time I see a picture of them. If I ever went for horns, they would be high on the list (pending listening, of course, I have never heard them.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Now, riddle me this. If the Jadis is coloured, then adding more Jadis components will make the system more coloured, right? However, that's not been my experience. I have customers with full Jadis systems that are just more supremely musical, but not more coloured as a result.

One big problem when assessing Jadis sound quality is that they slowly upgraded their equipment along 20 years, keeping basically the same circuit and improving components, but always kept the same model designation. Most people still have an opinion on very old models, but more recent equipment using better capacitors and a few changes have much less coloured sound. In Europe it is still a fantastic deal to buy a twenty years old Jadis and upgrade it using V-Cap or similar teflon capacitors.

Recently I hosted a Jadis JP80MC mk2 - JA 80 system for some months. As the power amplifiers were not powerful enough for the Aida's I did not keep it for long. The combo needed some care when choosing cables , but the preamplifier was something really exceptional. It was completely noise free and the treble was airy and delicate, very detailed but natural. Listened trough the Aida's fantastic tweeter it was an experience - Paniagua Tarantula Tarantella never sounded the same after it left. Extrapolating from the sound of the tweeters of the Genesis 8300 - my only experience in my room with Genesis - I can imagine that Jadis will be a good match with Genesis speakers.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Great pics and narrative Gary, thanks!

I have owned some Jadis gear and always liked its golden sound, it is a tad euphonic but, to my ears, extremely musical - hence my guess that the combination with your speakers must he something very special.

I currently have a pair of JA50s amps and a JPMC phono stage, i am using a custom made 6l6gc cathode-follower based preamp but looking to get a JP80 sometime this year. As for the table? I have the feeling that Dr. Williams will get it first! :(

Thanks again!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great pics and narrative Gary, thanks!

I have owned some Jadis gear and always liked its golden sound, it is a tad euphonic but, to my ears, extremely musical - hence my guess that the combination with your speakers must he something very special.

I currently have a pair of JA50s amps and a JPMC phono stage, i am using a custom made 6l6gc cathode-follower based preamp but looking to get a JP80 sometime this year. As for the table? I have the feeling that Dr. Williams will get it first! :(

Thanks again!

Wow! A 6L6 based preamp? I don't think I have ever heard of using a 6L6 output tube as a preamp tube.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Just talked to the manufacturer, make that a 6sn7 :)

Now back to the Jadis visit!

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Just talked to the manufacturer, make that a 6sn7 :)

Now back to the Jadis visit!

That makes much more sense Fernando!

As for Jadis, I have talked about the Defy 7 MKII that I owned on numerous occasions on this forum and have detailed the ridiculousness of the bias scheme. I did love the amp when it was working, but the bass response was basically nonexistent compared to a SS amp. And, the Defy 7MKII does have a giant PCB and is not point-to-point wired. It has a tendency to blow output tubes and when it does it takes out the cathode fuse as a minimum and sometimes the cathode resistor. The PCB is a through-hole board, and if you want to replace the resistor 'correctly', it's about an 8 hour job to unsolder all of the leads from the PCB, remove and replace the resistor, and then reinstall the PCB and re-solder all of the board connections. The easy fix is to cut off the blown resistor and leave enough of the leads to solder the replacement resistor to.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You still have to turn the amplifiers upside-down to bias them, but the blowing of the cathode fuse is a thing of the past.

Jadis is one company that believes in continuous improvement. Only when there are substantial upgrades would they then have a model number change - like in the next generation of the Defy7 with all point-to-point wiring.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now, riddle me this. If the Jadis is coloured, then adding more Jadis components will make the system more coloured, right? However, that's not been my experience. I have customers with full Jadis systems that are just more supremely musical, but not more coloured as a result.

That's exactly right, Gary. And thanks for posting. That's a Jadis lover's dream go to place. I had a JA200 and JPL combo before and it's not more colored. In fact, I found a CJ MV 125 to my my JPL more colored. :) My sister lives near Pau, which is very near the Spanish border. I will ask her how near she is to the Jadis factory. Maybe it will push me to visit her finally.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
they were made for jadis till about the late '90s by a recluse french designer that's supposedly still around. brooks berdan had a pr of mk I's that slipped through my fingers about a year ago, next time ill be more dillgent. the 'alice in wonderland' look is uber cool to boot.

an interesting thread from another forum:
http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420

Here is the only pair brought into the Philippines in the mid 90s. They are owned by a good friend of mine who currently has most models of the Jadis power amps from the 30 to the 500 monos.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Phil thanks for sharing your friend's system. Amazing!!

Last edited:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
A lovely Sunday excursion...
Happy Memorial Day, all :D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I would love to place those in my living room ! They make such a great visual statement ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing