XP-30 has landed!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Since I opened up shop, I've been using professional pre-amps. Before, I was the typical audiophile using what everyone else uses. The best pre I've heard in my system was the CAT. It had phono input and all single-ended. Doing some tube rolling and using high-end turntables and SACD players it was all I could ask for. Moving into the studio I couldn't utilize the CAT in my workflow and had to opt for the professional "monitor controller" that you can see in just about all mastering studios. These were really good and typicall Class-A with switching relays for volume attenuation. The brands were Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music ST and EMM Labs Switchman 3 which most audiophiles are familiar with. The other 2, not so much. I've longed for a pre with balanced input/output and also HT/bypass and always wondered if I was missing something. Well the wait is over!
Along come the big brown truck with a 75lb. box. The XP-30 is THAT good. Everything you have read in Stereophile and TAS is true. I will soon be pairing it with the XP-25. Now I can hear what I've been missing all these years. The Switchman 3 wasn't bad. It's just the XP-30 is THAT good. Everything seems to be much clearer and a lower noise floor. Playing a master tape from the Studer/Doshi is to die for! I wish everyone could hear what I'm hearing.

pass.jpg

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Congrats, Bruce :cool:
I need to visit you, again :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice box!;):p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bruce - Why 3 seperate units?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I understand the XP-40 will be dual mono with dual PS.......

Just kidding. But would be the way to go

Their new reference pre..the XS is true dual mono too, but contained in the same chassis. So it's down to two boxes albeit they are considerable taller units. The Power supply is a standalone unit with the XS whereas on the XP 30, the PS shares the same chassis as the controller (volume/input selection).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations Bruce. I had the XP30 in my system for a couple of weeks and compared it to my XP20. It is better, but the 30 was borrowed from a friend, so it had to go back. You will soon be experiencing the complete Pass chain in all of its glory. I will someday go to the XP25/30 combo. You are in for a real treat.

Have you given any thought to upgrading to the bigger XA160.5 or XS150? I had thought my XA100.5 was enough for my speakers until I heard the 160.5. Greater ease, impact and dynamics with the same beautiful tone, clarity and nuance.

Havenhearth

May 20, 2013
That feeling of aaah...

Hi Bruce,

Very happy to learn that you have chosen the XP30. I heard it in a local friend's system in an all Pass chain and found it a very convincing component. I hope your experience of it is just as satisfying: it will grow on you as it burns in, too.

Look forward to some qualitative input as time allows: I bet you will want more to listen than write about it for some while. Savor!

Thanks for letting us know.

Very Best to you, your wife and the pugs,

David

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Since I opened up shop, I've been using professional pre-amps. Before, I was the typical audiophile using what everyone else uses. The best pre I've heard in my system was the CAT. It had phono input and all single-ended. Doing some tube rolling and using high-end turntables and SACD players it was all I could ask for. Moving into the studio I couldn't utilize the CAT in my workflow and had to opt for the professional "monitor controller" that you can see in just about all mastering studios. These were really good and typicall Class-A with switching relays for volume attenuation. The brands were Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music ST and EMM Labs Switchman 3 which most audiophiles are familiar with. The other 2, not so much. I've longed for a pre with balanced input/output and also HT/bypass and always wondered if I was missing something. Well the wait is over!
Along come the big brown truck with a 75lb. box. The XP-30 is THAT good. Everything you have read in Stereophile and TAS is true. I will soon be pairing it with the XP-25. Now I can hear what I've been missing all these years. The Switchman 3 wasn't bad. It's just the XP-30 is THAT good. Everything seems to be much clearer and a lower noise floor. Playing a master tape from the Studer/Doshi is to die for! I wish everyone could hear what I'm hearing.

View attachment 9923

Having owned quite a few preamps including the switchman, it was obvious to me you the preamp was the weakest link in your system. Glad to hear you took care of that one, and did not cut any corners in the process.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Bruce - if it was not for my damned tube dependance I would surely consider Pass electronics to my system. ;)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Congrats Bruce. I wonder how your system would sound with a top notch preamp in the loop. Sounds like you are digging it. If you're getting a XP25 you must be getting a new TT soon? Any idea which one?

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks guys..

Yes, the pre is sounding better every day. Right now I'm listening to some Ella masters. Got goosebumps! The first thing I notice is now quiet this unit is. It just lets the music flow right out.
I do have tubes... listening through the Doshi now. Yes, a "decent" TT is in the future for me. Haven't decided on the XP-25 or the Doshi unit yet.
Since it's a long weekend, I decided to do some studio maintenance. Bought a simple rack to put everything on and clean up the back of the room. Still need to find room for 2 more tape machines.

studio.JPG

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Doshi phono would be nice I'm sure. Hopefully you will get to hear both in your system before you decide on one.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Why does pass lab flip flop so much?

First they put the controller section in the same box as sensitive electronics in the xp20.
Then they shifted the controller section into the ps box with the xp30.
Now they again shifted the controller back with electronics on the Xs.

Seriously, can pass lab come up with a 1 box unit that can come close or beat the Ayre KX-R?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing