A Look Inside The Original Spectral MS-ONE Preamp

DaveSpectral

Aug 30, 2010
Near Chicago
These are pretty good shots of this beast from an Ebay ad in which it did not sell. I have no connection with this, but I messaged this gentleman named Phil to get permission to post his pics. I am the happy owner of a Spectral DMC-6-II, so I am a huge fan of Spectral gear. Notice how externally, it kind of looks kike the DMC-20. It is like they started with that look, abandoned it for a few years, and then come back to it.

This is a short, but very interesting read.
This is a direct Quote From the Spectral Audio website:

The MS-ONE Preamplifier
The debut showing of the Spectral design philosophy. The MS-ONE was initially developed from an instrumentation preamplifier to investigate new devices and circuit topologies as a lab and review reference. Enthusiastic demand from those who heard it resulted in its going into production in 1977.

*First high speed audio preamplifier featuring DC-to-megahertz signal envelope.
*First preamplifier to accept a low level moving coil phono input directly with no additional gain stage. This required pushing device performance to reduce noise and increase gain to unprecedented levels.
*First solid-state dual monaural preamplifier.
*First ultra-close tolerance RIAA equalization components. Custom made to Spectral's specifications, these capacitors and resistors were from 10 to 100 times more precise than any used before.

1.JPG
------------------
2.jpg
------------------
3.jpg
------------------
4.jpg
------------------
5.jpg

Last edited:

DaveSpectral

Aug 30, 2010
Near Chicago
6.jpg
-----
7.JPG
-----
8.JPG
-----
9.JPG
-----
10.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for the pics Dave! That's a little bit of a time warp :)

DaveSpectral

Aug 30, 2010
Near Chicago
Thanks for the pics Dave! That's a little bit of a time warp :)
Glad you liked it Myles. I don't know if you knew this, but my real name is Dave Smith, and I'm one of your Facebook friends.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
:) Glad you made it over to this neck of the woods!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I had one of these preamps. If I recall correctly it came shipped in a wood crate.
If you had a dimmer or any other noise generator in your house's electrical system the MS-ONE would be quick to let you know about it!

analaogico7000

May 14, 2016
Hi
I just bought one of these. But he does not have Power Supply. Someone can provide me the schematic to see if I can replace?
Thanks

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you for the pictures Dave. I have always been curious about this Spectral model. This is my first time to see pictures of it.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had the good fortune to hear the ms-one in an all Spectral system today. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it still sounded and how very well it matches with the latest Spectral models.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sam, can you describe that system and can you offer some impressions on the sound? Any thoughts on the DMA-200 Class A amps from the late 80s/early 90s?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing