Johathan Horwich's Reel To Reel Tapes

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Hello Forum Members,

I've got to extend and "big thank you" to Mr. Horwich for his efforts to being us great sounding and very affordable reel to reel tapes. So far I have all but one of his tapes. While I understand he wants to present those jazz talents that tend towards the avangarde, I am hoping he can find the time to present more (my words) mainstream talents playing many of the jazz standards of the day.

Somewhere along, I also hope there will be others who will be producing reel tapes that can be made for $300 or less. For us poor souls who want to, but just can't afford the higher priced spreads. We're holding our breath until tapes in the $150 to $300 dollar range are more plentiful. Thank you again Mr. Jonathan Horwich for beginning to fill that void. ;)

Jazz & classical music lover

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Jazzbo - Jonathan was on our last WBF dinner at RMAF and we all had a great time there - he shared with us a little more on his tape/musical production, I concur on the fact that the content and quality are amazing,( I have the four released titles from IFI a some others around).

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:b Hello Flez007,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Jonathan there having fun with you guys. I have had several email communications with Jonathan and was more than impressed by his gentleness and understanding of what's going on in the music and audio arena. I think Jonathan and Tony Ma (music lover & techi) are onto something as they try to find ways to record great local talent in order to lower tape prices. I hope that's their ultimate aim.

While I understand that getting permission and legal rights to record major talents, there are so many local talents that won't pose those kinds of legal problems. I've got to admit, I don't know all of the in's and out's involved in getting recording contracts, I do think there are local choral, jazz and classical music groups and orchestras who would love additional exposure. While working in Germany as a program director for the Army I had an opportunity to visit many local churches and all of them had fantastic choral groups. I was a photographer for a local jazz club in Frankfurt Germany where many outstanding local talents showed up to ply their musical trades. My problem was, I was not into reel to reel at that time.

Whatever happens, I believe that, in order generate more interest and to get more audiophiles buying tape decks, there has got to be more music on tape for purchase. I believe we're slowly headed in that direction hopefully.

music lover :)

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I previously posted a thread about one of Jonathan's tapes and played one song from it with his permission.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Jonathan just sent me a tape to play at T.H.E. Newport Show next week.
He was making light of recording a group outside of his element called Cuddle Magic, they are a kinda folk... maybe new age amalgamation. That is about the best way I can describe it, I considered the fact that Jonathan, "Mr. Jazz" recorded it absolutely surprising.

However, I have to admit I love this music. He recorded 3 songs for me on the end of the tape and I have probably listened to these three songs 8 times in just two days and intend to listen again tonight! I guess my favorite song is called "Round and Round" and it actually has lyrics referring to a reel to reel in it. I will post the exact words tonight after I listen again, (and again).

This is really different music and it translates to tape wonderfully, great vocal harmonies and strange instruments groaning and whizzing around the soundstage, quite mesmerizing.
Congratulations to Jonathan for recording outside the main stream, (and send me the rest of that damn Cuddle Magic tape, I'm hooked.)

If anyone is going to T.H.E. Show Newport ask me to play Cuddle Magic, I look forward to hearing what people think of it.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Cuddle Magic sounds like something Jonathan would record. And Jonathan does a wonderful job putting music to tape. Mep, while I did not hear what you posted, I am sure I already have the tape, at least I think so. I am sure Jonathan is so busy he is not able to record as much as he would wish to. I am hoping someone else can take up the cause. Again, there is so much local talent in every community. With 2 good mikes and a Studer or Ampex to grab that talent we could have much more reel to reel music of all kinds. Of course getting the Studer of Ampex to the location might cause a few problems. By the way, are there any great portable Studers or Ampex tape decks made? The only one's I read about here are all studio decks. I know it's wistful thinking about less expensive reel to reel tapes but I can dream can't I ;)?

A guy who loves music!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Just dropped Jonathan an email. He participated here some time ago, but I think that he got his fingers burnt! Hopefully he'll come back and talk about his recording.

I've got some great Freebop from him - some of which I've demo'ed at shows. But the music is kinda esoteric, so not broad appeal. Cuddle Magic sounds like something that might get him more frequent air-play.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
MEP,
Thanks for putting this piece on for us. I don't have this particular recording but it's a blues and I can dig the blues. The last tape I purchased from Jonathan was, "The Jeremy Kahn, Duets" which features jeremy Kahn on piano and Eric Schneider on tenor sax. What I love about this particular tape is, all of the cuts are favorites. Pieces like The Shadow Of Your Smile, Lover Man, Round Midnight, etc. Great stuff. I sure hope Jonathan records more stuff like this.

Gary,
You hit what I was trying to say on the head. Some of Jonathan's stuff is sought of esoteric. However, we each hear music differently and Jonathan has a great musical ear. What I hear as esoteric is probably mainstream to Jonathan and that's what makes this world go round. The 3 tapes I have of Jonathan's are all top notch recordings that I love to listen to. I am looking forward to him producing more great stuff and his stuff is very affordable.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One of the things I love about Jonathan's tapes is the dynamic range he captures. For those of you that have tape decks with meters that still work, you can see your meters swing from -20 to +3. I think if you look closely you can see that on my Ampex 350s that are sitting under my turntable.

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Thank you all for you kind comments. I'm sorry I'm so deficient when it comes to the forum. I love the forum and will try and be more present. A few points that may help--for all your knowledge and consideration. One of the members asked about portable recorders. Well I take my modified Studer 810 recorder for all two track recordings. I have a Pelican case for it and it is a great recorder since I had many of the audio path parts replaced. Pretty darn good. Playback is not so good but I don't need it for playback. Then for multi-mic recordings I have the Studer C-278. It has 8 tracks and was rebuilt from the ground up by the finest Tech I've encountered. It makes a mean recording. So you can bring "portable" Studers to a gig as I do it all the time. If I am recording digital I use the Nagra VI digital recorder and it is like a large book in size. Very easy to transport.

As to my tapes. Yes some are a bit avant. Part of my purpose is to introduce tape lovers to slightly more avant jazz. But as someone said, to me they are mainstream. But I just released Jeremy Kahn as mentioned here and that is completely traditional with famous songs. And it is a two mic job so has that natural space thing. And the Clare Fischer big band (I hate to call it that as it is really almost classical music at times) is very straight ahead. And then there is the Warne Marsh tape available only be emailing me directly. it has technical glitches in the recording but still sounds good and very live. And the improvisation is incredible and probably the finest I have on tape. Very straight ahead and traditional as heck. The Berman tape is multi mic and slightly avant/retro in sound.

Coming up is Cuddle Magic which for me was a departure as Greg said. It captivated me. Like avant hippie folk music. That will be out in less than two weeks. I adore it. That will be followed by a Chicago quartet which is slightly avant but wonderful musicians. You just have to get used to it and know you're hearing very fine playing and you're hearing it on the best medium. The vibes player on this Chicago Quartet is killer good and my favorite international player on vibes. Totally original.

Next is a two mic job again with just piano and we're recordings with with several different two mic set ups so people can hear the difference just mics make. The piano player is a friend, Mike Garson of whom David Bowie said he is the great rock and roll pianist of all time. But he plays jazz like the best. On the tape he will play all Monk tunes. Fabulous player. I love his playing. Very deep and dense at times.

And I have about 100 more masters including a Ravi Shankar I recorded (with two mics only) in a church in Luxembourg which Ravi said was the finest recording of him ever done. Lucky for me the playing is celestial. I've played it for three people all of whom said it was magical. I used a Levinson Studer ML5. Although Ravi asked me to record it, I am trying to clear it through his people but no answer after months of trying. I'll put it out with or without them on tape. I'll keep emailing them hoping they answer. But I won't let this sit much longer. It has been sitting some 30 years.

And lastly, my price will remain $150.00 per tape. I only charge more for direct copies off the actual master. I make a few of those and sell them for more. Most of my tape copies go like this: master, production master (getting the songs in order, etc.) and then copy of the production master to the customer. But where the customer wants, I make a copy right from the master for the extra bucks as per my site.

I think I covered it all. Thanks again to all of your for your interest.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I look forward to hearing both releases! The Ravi has me particularly interested.

Bruce in PA

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Jonathan Horwich's Reel to Reel Tapes

Good evening Jonathan,

Thanks so much for responding. I do appreciate that, however, I just wanted to focus on the fact that you are responsible for some of the lowest prices for great sounding reel to reel tapes. I might add that the packaging is great as well. That really pleases me and I'm sure others as well. Please keep up the great work as well as the great music you've provided us. I am looking for your next tape releases soon. Thank you sir. :)

music lover :cool:

jonathanhorwich

Nov 24, 2010
Chicago
Good evening Jonathan,

Thanks so much for responding. I do appreciate that, however, I just wanted to focus on the fact that you are responsible for some of the lowest prices for great sounding reel to reel tapes. I might add that the packaging is great as well. That really pleases me and I'm sure others as well. Please keep up the great work as well as the great music you've provided us. I am looking for your next tape releases soon. Thank you sir. :)

music lover :cool:

Hey thanks so much for your kind words. I try to charge a reasonable price so people can really afford this incredible medium. I'll just keep putting out tape title after tape title which will cover more and more tastes. Cuddle Magic will hit a public I never work with usually. Hippie music. But very hip hippie music. Jazz had its own spat of fabulous hippie music, such as from the Charles Lloyd 60s group with Keith Jarrett, like "Love in" and Forest Flower Sunrise and Sunset at Monterey. Fabulous music but hippie music nonetheless. And sure enough Charles found himself and the group playing at the Filmore. But I've digressed.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
CUDDLE MAGIC:
I will be playing Cuddle Magic at THE Show Newport in The Crystal Ballroom A on the main floor this weekend. I look forward to playing this to get people's reaction, I think it will be interesting.
For me the Cuddle Magic music is quite avant garde, it seems to change on a whim mid song and does keep you guessing and waiting for the next phase of the music. This is lots of fun, maybe because Jonathan's multi mic recording is so big and lively, he seemed to capture the big group in what comes off the tape as a huge soundstage with lots of activity, fun!
My two favorite songs on the tape Jonathan sent me are "First Hippie on the Moon" which starts with some wonderful haunting female vocals (kinda like Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance) and then all of a sudden turns to a fast pace almost jazz like beat that jumps wide left and right, it really shows that huge soundstage.
Also Round and Round, what can I say about this tune... to my ear it is just fantastic, great catchy tune and the harmonies by the group are quite mesmerizing. Once again these harmonies are spread across a huge soundstage probably the result of the multi mic recording.

My hat is off to Jonathan for recording outside the box, hope to hear many more such recordings. It goes to show that any type of music recorded "properly" on tape can be a revelation to hear.
Guess I am the first person to order the Cuddle Magic tape but I bet I won't be the last!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing