Home Invasions

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
One of the statistically growing crimes, and a quite frightening one, is home invasion. According to Dept. of Justice FBI files, there is a home invasion every 12 seconds and over 6,600 per day. Home invasions can be roughly looked at as burglaries that include opportunistic other crimes such as assault, rape, and murder. In home invasion, criminals enter the home and expect to find occupants home. Standard burglary is typically carried out in an empty home. Because criminals find the owners at home, they often beat, rape, and kill the occupants. Over 60% of all reported rapes are now linked to home invasion.

5/6 of all home invaders enter through the door. Some break in, by kicking the door down and causing the frame to fail. Others just walk right into an unlocked door. It should be apparent that some simple steps to harden the perimeter security of our home will deter all but the most dedicated invaders. The various "anti-door-kick" devices on the market can greatly strengthen your doorways to resist break-in.

Invaders have a "script" by which they typically operate. They will seek out the owners as quickly as possible, so that the owners have the least chance to arm themselves, etc. in defense. Since the owners are home, alarm systems are usually not set to the same parameters as when the home is empty. The alpha male of the home is the first to be subdued, often tied or taped for control. Criminals often hold the wife or children hostage to force the male in submission. Once the occupants are under control, the thieves then can take their time to gather valuables by forcing the occupants to divulge the location of the best stuff. Since they often invade in small groups, criminals have enough manpower that one guy can stand guard, one can commit rape, and one or two can gather valuables. Many times, the occupants are killed to eliminate the chance of witness testimony.

Next, we'll discuss some strategies to prevent home invasion and discuss what we might do if our home is entered in this manner.

Lee

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This is my worst nightmare. We have had burglaries in our neighborhood...a nice neighborhood where the crook got in through a screen door on a porch (cut the screen) or the door was simply left unlocked while the occupants were asleep upstairs. They found wallets and such down stairs and escaped without anyone knowing. I now keep my alarm on at night...never used too. I also have good perimeter lighting around the house and of course lethal self defense tools if needed.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Any thoughts about EZ Armor and similar devices to strengthen doors? I have also been told thieves are less likely (does not mean unlikely) to go through (break) a glass door. We have an alarm system but only set it when we are away. There have been a few break-ins in our (rural'ish) area so we are considering arming it at night. My mother-in-law lives on a farm in rural MO and added an alarm a few years ago. She claims a few late-night drunks have pulled in looking for the subdivision a mile or so away, and because her drive is one of the few around some folks use it to turn around when they realize they are far out of town. Scares her, especially when it happens late at night (her bedroom faces the street so she is awakened by the the car lights and noise).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing