Osso Bucco for dinner

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Osso Bucco is Italian for "bone with a hole" - it usually refers to the shank of veal, beef or goat/lamb with a spot of delicious marrow in the middle of the bone. It is an extremely flavorful cut, but sometimes quite tough. It is traditionally braised with white wine and broth, and served with a gremolata with rice. However, my kids usually demand a bit more flavor, so we have our family recipe.

Dinner for two plus two ravenous kids:

3lb beef shanks
1 large sweet onion - diced
1 large old carrot - diced
2 firm Roma tomatoes - diced
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3 bay leaves
2 cloves
sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth

3 young, sweet carrots - diced
1/2lb crimini mushrooms cut into quarters

Preheat oven to 275 deg.

Season both sides of the beef shanks with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and pat off excess.

Heat oil (I use canola) a large Dutch oven until almost smoking. Brown slices of shank on all sides. Depending on the size of the Dutch oven, one or two slices at a time. Be careful not to let the flour burn. Set aside.

Use the balance of the flour to make a roux with the oil at the bottom of the Dutch oven. Set aside.

Put more oil in the Dutch oven and saute the onion until translucent, carrots soft. Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, herbs and spices, tomato paste and the roux and stir. Fold in the shanks, make sure they are covered well in the liquid mixture.

Place covered in the pre-heated oven 120mins. Take out, stir in the mushrooms and sweet carrots. Put back in the oven for another 40 minutes.

We served with fresh baguettes and saffron mashed potatoes:

2 large Yukon gold potatoes
1/4 cup milk infused with saffron
1/2 tbsp butter

Osso Bucco.jpg

osso bucco plated.jpg

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Love Osso Bucco but have never prepared it at home. Your recipe sounds delicious and your presentation is beautiful.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Osso Bucco is Italian for "bone with a hole" - it usually refers to the shank of veal, beef or goat/lamb with a spot of delicious marrow in the middle of the bone. It is an extremely flavorful cut, but sometimes quite tough. It is traditionally braised with white wine and broth, and served with a gremolata with rice. However, my kids usually demand a bit more flavor, so we have our family recipe.

Dinner for two plus two ravenous kids:

3lb beef shanks
1 large sweet onion - diced
1 large old carrot - diced
2 firm Roma tomatoes - diced
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3 bay leaves
2 cloves
sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth

3 young, sweet carrots - diced
1/2lb crimini mushrooms cut into quarters

Preheat oven to 275 deg.

Season both sides of the beef shanks with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and pat off excess.

Heat oil (I use canola) a large Dutch oven until almost smoking. Brown slices of shank on all sides. Depending on the size of the Dutch oven, one or two slices at a time. Be careful not to let the flour burn. Set aside.

Use the balance of the flour to make a roux with the oil at the bottom of the Dutch oven. Set aside.

Put more oil in the Dutch oven and saute the onion until translucent, carrots soft. Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, herbs and spices, tomato paste and the roux and stir. Fold in the shanks, make sure they are covered well in the liquid mixture.

Place covered in the pre-heated oven 120mins. Take out, stir in the mushrooms and sweet carrots. Put back in the oven for another 40 minutes.

We served with fresh baguettes and saffron mashed potatoes:

2 large Yukon gold potatoes
1/4 cup milk infused with saffron
1/2 tbsp butter

View attachment 9811

View attachment 9812

Yum. One of my favorite dishes! Thanks for the recipe Gary!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That looks scrumptious.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Gary, try making it with Elk.....one of my favorites. You made me hungry:)

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Osso Bucco thats sounds so much better than "Bone with a Hole" I have made this many times great dish nice winter time meal with a nice Malbec then a New Orleans style Bread pudding you have good taste .

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Actually I had it not so long ago prepared using Bison. It was scrumptious!

Hmmm...... two votes for a stronger meat - I think I might try that next.

The usual Osso Buco calls for a Piedmonti white wine called Gavi which is lighter than chardonnay. I sometimes add a cup of Masala wine for a sweeter, stronger flavour. Since I also have cloves and rosemary in addition to the usual bay leaves, may be a game meat might work. Objectively that makes it overly rich, but tempering the richness down with saffron mash potatoes instead of saffron risotto might work for a good subjective experience :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hmmm...... two votes for a stronger meat - I think I might try that next.

The usual Osso Buco calls for a Piedmonti white wine called Gavi which is lighter than chardonnay. I sometimes add a cup of Masala wine for a sweeter, stronger flavour. Since I also have cloves and rosemary in addition to the usual bay leaves, may be a game meat might work. Objectively that makes it overly rich, but tempering the richness down with saffron mash potatoes instead of saffron risotto might work for a good subjective experience :D

Just get some Bison and forget about the objective/subjective dos and don'ts. :p. Bison is actually quite nice and not nearly as gamey as one might think.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks scrumptious Gary! One question though, why no gremolata? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing