How important is the recording??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, I was listening to several LP's that ranged in recording quality from marginal to good. In the next few weeks, many of us are going to attend the Newport show. At the show, I'm sure all of the exhibitor's will be bringing only the best "demo" recordings. Funny thing is, that if we look at all of the music available to us in the various different formats, I am of the opinion that a small percentage is in fact 'correctly' recorded and of such quality that one would want to use it as a 'demo' disc.
This was made more obvious today to me as I listened to a 'marginal' recording of Basie meets Hefti on MFSL, and of the 'Sheffield Track record'. One is recorded well enough that the music can come through, BUT it is by no means a 'demo' disc ( the MFSL) and the other is well recorded ( demo quality?) BUT the music ( at least to my ears) is poor... ( The Track record). I also listened to the Weavers at Carnegie '63 on AP. Again, a good recording, BUT limited a little as to it's resolution, IMHO.
What is so very obvious, however, is how immensely important the original recording is as to the playback fidelity you are going to hear....seems obvious, BUT this is one area where I wonder if superb equipment has not been heard correctly due to the listener not actually hearing what the gear can do, but instead what the recording cannot. Or, the inverse may be true...the recording is so good that a marginal piece of gear sounds more than acceptable...I'm sure many of us have heard this example. ( Plus, I'm fairly sure that at Newport many more of us will:))
How good are our recordings that we hold up as 'demo' quality today?? :confused:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Today, I was listening to several LP's that ranged in recording quality from marginal to good. In the next few weeks, many of us are going to attend the Newport show. At the show, I'm sure all of the exhibitor's will be bringing only the best "demo" recordings. Funny thing is, that if we look at all of the music available to us in the various different formats, I am of the opinion that a small percentage is in fact 'correctly' recorded and of such quality that one would want to use it as a 'demo' disc.
This was made more obvious today to me as I listened to a 'marginal' recording of Basie meets Hefti on MFSL, and of the 'Sheffield Track record'. One is recorded well enough that the music can come through, BUT it is by no means a 'demo' disc ( the MFSL) and the other is well recorded ( demo quality?) BUT the music ( at least to my ears) is poor... ( The Track record). I also listened to the Weavers at Carnegie '63 on AP. Again, a good recording, BUT limited a little as to it's resolution, IMHO.
What is so very obvious, however, is how immensely important the original recording is as to the playback fidelity you are going to hear....seems obvious, BUT this is one area where I wonder if superb equipment has not been heard correctly due to the listener not actually hearing what the gear can do, but instead what the recording cannot. Or, the inverse may be true...the recording is so good that a marginal piece of gear sounds more than acceptable...I'm sure many of us have heard this example. ( Plus, I'm fairly sure that at Newport many more of us will:))
How good are our recordings that we hold up as 'demo' quality today?? :confused:

How about defining what "correctly recorded" means? If you don't have more LPs that sound great than records that sound "marginal," maybe you are seeing the inverse you mentioned above where the quality of your LP playback system needs some work. Can you explain how the Weavers at Carnegie is a "good" recording but limited as to it's (sic) resolution?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
On the one hand, it is not at all important. I'll take a bad master of a mediocre recording of Cannonball over the most fabulous, dynamically mastered audiophile gem of Kenny G's finest work any day all day. On the other hand, a better master of the Cannonball record will do more for the quality of your playback than any piece of electronics money can buy.

Tim

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
On the one hand, it is not at all important. On one hand, I'll take a bad master of a mediocre recording of Cannonball over the most fabulous, dynamically mastered audiophile gem of Kenny G's finest work any day all day.

Me too!

On the other hand, a better master of the Cannonball record will do more for the quality of your playback than any piece of electronics money can buy.

Tim

Now that statement is a stretch, but I get your point.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Me too!

Now that statement is a stretch, but I get your point.

I don't think it's a stretch, really, the one exception being providing good amplification, sufficient headroom, to a badly underpowered system. That can make a pretty dramatic difference. I can't think of a single other electronic component change from good to great that wouldn't be subtle compared to an excellent remastering of a good recording buried in bad mastering. Of course that's absolutely a matter of opinion and YMMV.

Tim

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
When I am auditioning gear I take a compilation disc with different types of music. The quality of the recording is secondary for me. I listen and purchase music I like not music that will sound good on my system.

During a demo the tracks I choose should tell me if the gear can: reproduce a piano, differentiate the notes of a stand up bass, not make a mis-mash of cymbals and guitars on a poor rock recording, handle the scale of a full orchestra, reproduce the immediacy of a kick drum, etc.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Davey, I believe the source may be the most critical piece of "gear"; however, it isn't essential for an evocative response to music.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
When I am auditioning gear I take a compilation disc with different types of music. The quality of the recording is secondary for me. I listen and purchase music I like not music that will sound good on my system.

During a demo the tracks I choose should tell me if the gear can: reproduce a piano, differentiate the notes of a stand up bass, not make a mis-mash of cymbals and guitars on a poor rock recording, handle the scale of a full orchestra, reproduce the immediacy of a kick drum, etc.

If it's a poor rock recording, won't there already be a mishmash of cymbals and guitars?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
If it's a poor rock recording, won't there already be a mishmash of cymbals and guitars?

Yes. I have a couple of recordings I use to see how CD players/DAC's handle this. Some players do a better job of differentiating the instruments while others leave just generate a crappy top end. Even the better units will not clean these up all the way, but that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable music.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Replying strictly to the thread title, the recording is everything with regard to sound quality. The quality and execution of the music, emotionally with impact is another and can be of greater importance or not depending on listening preference.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The recording is extremely important.

That's why so many recordings (especially pop music) sound bad on excellent systems.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
On the one hand, it is not at all important. I'll take a bad master of a mediocre recording of Cannonball over the most fabulous, dynamically mastered audiophile gem of Kenny G's finest work any day all day. On the other hand, a better master of the Cannonball record will do more for the quality of your playback than any piece of electronics money can buy.

Tim

Tim nailed it!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Replying strictly to the thread title, the recording is everything with regard to sound quality. The quality and execution of the music, emotionally with impact is another and can be of greater importance or not depending on listening preference.

There are a lot of great recordings of bad performances. Performances void of emotion or substance. I prefer a good performance to a good recording. Naturally I prefer both.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Tim

Tim nailed it!

Yes I agree.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The recording is extremely important.

That's why so many recordings (especially pop music) sound bad on excellent systems.

Gary, I agree with that statement. Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that there really aren't that many truly great recordings. One's wherein the producer/engineer has captured all of the various nuances of the performance--- the exact placement of images on the stage, the precise sound of a brush as it hits the drum head, the true sound of a piano, the impact and resolution of a drum skin as it is hit, the smallest sound of air as it escapes the brass or woodwind instrument and on and on. VERY VERY difficult to get the whole enchilada!
Which is why I started another thread a while back asking which recordings were the one's that the members believed had captured these nuances. In other words which are the true "reference recordings"?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
once we get past personal taste, then yes indeed, with systems we own as our personal "bias", the quality of the recording is everything...and if you go to tape, it changes while sitting on the shelf for 72 hours*. But, for me, quality is the way the recording is laid out, the balance, the tone, the details, and least the "stereo" effect.

*listen in starting at 2:35 as many times as you need to (it helps if you have headphones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgH99wyRoVc

So you believe this to be true because you saw a YouTube video? I have never heard of tape deteriorating in 72 hours before I saw this hatchet job video. None of the levels were matched in the comparisons and looking at that Studer deck, I'm not sure how well maintained it was. I could see one part that wasn't turning true and that is not typical for a Studer machine.

and this link, its digital, it sounds superb, it is well recorded, and , ....but the secret is that its only three instruments playing...about the limit of our current technology to get right before the intermodulation disotortions throughout the electronics chain and the speakers become overwhelming and distorting the sounds so much.....audio has such a long way to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjlcOjDCltI

Where do you come up with this stuff? We can only record 3 instruments before horrible distortion sets in with our electronics and speakers? Says who?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Performance, recording, and source player all play an important part IMHO, when any is degraded it doesn't matter how good the h/w is further down the chain. Something is lost, it may be accepted but its nothing like when the planets align.....that's when I get lost in the music, speakers, and room disappear. It's just me and the performer.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good afternoon, gentlemen. The recording is the very first part of the chain that leads to the end result. Two phrases apply here.

One can't polish a terd by the clean end.
One can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh*t.

While better systems can and will have the ability to overcome some of the deficiencies of any recording, any system is ultimately limited to what the recording can offer. It becomes akin to putting a governor on a Bugatti. For a "music lover", this does not concern them. They simply enjoy the music. For the extremely discriminate audiophile, this can sometimes present frustration, disappointment and a distraction to the listening session and the sheer enjoyment of the music itself even on the best of systems.

For me, finding the superb and enjoyable performance along with the stellar recording is simply a slice of heaven offered here on Earth by the audio Gods. Unfortunately, they are far and few between but I'll take that slice of heaven anytime of the week and twice on Tuesday. In between those truly exceptional slices of heaven, I'll simply enjoy the music.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing