Dubai Police Supercar Fleet - One 77, Aventador, SLS, & Bentley CGT!!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Camel riders don't stand a chance :)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I read once in The Economist that just as undeserved wealth is bad for people, it is also bad for countries. If you gave someone a lottery win of a million dollars, he would very soon squander it on fast cars, expensive gifts, holidays, and luxuries. On the other hand, someone who has earned that million dollars will lock it away in investments and think of the future. It is the same with countries - if a country suddenly comes across oil wealth, it will squander its money on prestige projects and ego boosting monuments for its leaders instead of investing the money wisely in education and infrastructure. Once the oil money goes, they will be back to riding camels.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If it wasn't for oil, they would all be still riding camels and living in tents.
If there was no oil in the world, maybe we would be doing the same with horses! Let's not stereotype people here and stay on topic.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If there was no oil in the world, maybe we would be doing the same with horses! Let's not stereotype people here and stay on topic.

Yes I agree. I was reading today that as America becomes more oil independent...it will affect the OPEC producers pretty hard in the pocketbook. The upside...their oil will last longer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Please tell me what besides oil makes up more than a fraction of the GDP of Saudi Arabia. What do they manufacture and export to the rest of the world? If it wasn't for American technology and American muscle, their oil fields would never have been developed until the rest of the industrialized world caught up to our technology and ability to extract oil out of the ground. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for oil, there would be no economy in Saudi Arabia.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Please tell me what besides oil makes up more than a fraction of the GDP of Saudi Arabia. What do they manufacture and export to the rest of the world? If it wasn't for American technology and American muscle, their oil fields would never have been developed until the rest of the industrialized world caught up to our technology and ability to extract oil out of the ground. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for oil, there would be no economy in Saudi Arabia.

What's your point Mark. Do they need anything else.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Another 30 40 years i read most of the oil has gone , they are trying to get tourists in and maybe this is another way to do it , some kind of attraction .

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I think that perhaps they should be building universities, hospitals, and trying to start up a manufacturing industry instead of wasting it on using luxury cars as police vehicles, or creating refrigerated beaches, or indoor ski resorts, or giant aquariums, or marinas on reclaimed land, or tallest buildings in the world in a land where there is no shortage of space. I can tell you that if Australia started pressing Porsches into service in the police force, everybody would be saying it is a waste of money - because that is what it is.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If all the citizens have supercars , you gotta have something serious to pull them over ala "Need for speed" :D
But i agree with you on most things , the dutch had and still have a lot of work there ,converting sea into dry land , those isles are made by dutch dredging companies

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What's your point Mark. Do they need anything else.

My point was that without oil, they would still be living in the stone ages because they have nothing else to offer the world in terms of products they manufacture. They are no different than lots of other third world countries who lack oil and precious minerals in that regard. If we truly become oil independent as is currently being predicted, it will be interesting to see how much we "care" about them in the future.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think that perhaps they should be building universities, hospitals, and trying to start up a manufacturing industry instead of wasting it on using luxury cars as police vehicles, or creating refrigerated beaches, or indoor ski resorts, or giant aquariums, or marinas on reclaimed land, or tallest buildings in the world in a land where there is no shortage of space. I can tell you that if Australia started pressing Porsches into service in the police force, everybody would be saying it is a waste of money - because that is what it is.

I don't see how building these things can attract the spenders they want to tap when the spenders can go to the real things when they want to. That is unless if the spenders they are actually targeting are from their neighboring countries where things are much more restricted by law and religion.

I had a stopover in Bahrain once and went down to the bar for a beer. It was filled with Saudis. The bartender told me that a lot of Saudis cross over for R&R because they can't do the same thing back home.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The post is about Dubai and the Emirates. not Saudi Arabia. The Emirates have been investing their money and trying to expand the breadth of their economy. Ever been to Dubai? Stayed in the most luxurious hotel in the world - the Burj Al Arab. Ever ridden Emirates Airlines - usually ranked one of the top two airlines in world and way, way above any US carrier. If you watch the best football teams in the world (Arsenal, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc.) you can see who is sponsoring them. They know their oil is running out and need to diversify.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing