TAD System - C600, D600, M600 - HiFi News April 2013 Review - Munich High End 2013

Robert Youman

Apr 21, 2013
Just curious.

There have been many shows lately - New York, Chicago and Munich where
an all TAD system or at least the Reference 1 speakers were demonstrated.
I have read a few comments in the show reports, but not much.
Anyone hear these components and have some new opinions or comments?

See jpg's of the TAD system review in HiFi News April 2013 issue in my next post.
Very interesting - again maybe this will be generate some thoughts.

I am especially interested in the D600. There have been several very nice reviews.
Just wondering if the lack of true 192 Asynch USB functionality really makes a difference
for listening to music files. Even though it throttles down to
lower rates, many say that the D600 sounds better than true 192 Aynch USB.
It was apparently a design choice but maybe the correct one!

Finally, see the jpg pictures from the 2013 Munich High End Show in my next post. Very cool!

Attachments

• TAD-1A.jpg
    TAD-1A.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 1,802
  • TAD-2A.jpg
    TAD-2A.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 1,446
  • TAD-3A.jpg
    TAD-3A.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 1,490
  • TAD-4A.jpg
    TAD-4A.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 1,495
  • IMG_2515ss.jpg
    IMG_2515ss.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,307
Reactions: Amir

Robert Youman

Apr 21, 2013
Looks like there were significant hits on the above, but no comments.
Maybe the new Stereophile June 2013 review of the C600 will generate some discussion.

TAD C600 1a.jpg TAD C600 3a.jpg TAD C600 4a.jpg

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi Robert.
Really this forum seems to be too quiet.
I'm a new C600 owner and I'm not agree with this two reviews. There are more reviews like 6 moons but this one is more confuse. It puts the sound more on the tube way. No way at all.
I've listened the other preamps nameds and they really sounds as they are reviewed. So i can concluded that the TAD Electronics are very system dependent.
The first review is an all TAD system and i think is the most acurate. The second one puts the Dart 408 that runs in single ended mode. That is very wellcome on preamps like Ypsilon and DarTZeel, but don't seems the same on the TAD.
Have you ever listened the D600?
This week i'll listen the DA1000. I'm yet waiting the promised sound !!!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Robert.
Really this forum seems to be too quiet.
I'm a new C600 owner and I don't no agree with this two reviews. There are more reviews like 6 moons but this one is more confuse. It puts the sound more on the tube way. No way at all.
I've listened the other preamps nameds and they really sounds as they are reviewed. So i can concluded that the TAD Electronics are very system dependent.
The first review is an all TAD system and i think is the most acurate. The second one puts the Dart 408 that runs in single ended mode. That is very wellcome on preamps like Ypsilon and DarTZeel, but don't seems the same on the TAD.
Have you ever listened the D600?
This week i'll listen the DA1000. I'm yet waiting the promised sound !!!

Congrats on some very nice equipment! I have been to Japan to hear the full TAD setup with their very gracious President a few years ago. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity. And yes, i also would agree with the first review which is on the whole system (written by John Bamford and Paul Miller)...a good description of what we heard that day, and not [too] dissimilar to my own personal remarks which i made somewhere here in WBF after that visit.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Just curious.

I am especially interested in the D600. There have been several very nice reviews.
Just wondering if the lack of true 192 Asynch USB functionality really makes a difference
for listening to music files. Even though it throttles down to
lower rates, many say that the D600 sounds better than true 192 Aynch USB.
It was apparently a design choice but maybe the correct one!

I own a D600 and I am very happy with this player. I used to have an Audio Aéro La Source. Two consecutive failures of the Esoteric drive forced me to change to the TAD as Audio Aéro went belly up in the meantime. Retrospectively, I don't have any regret.

When I auditioned both the Audio Aéro and the TAD (among other players), my first instant choice was the Audio Aéro. After my 'forced' move to the TAD, I was wondering why I took the Audio Aéro in the first place: cheaper built quality and actually less resolving sound. I tend to believe that the TAD demo unit that I auditioned at the time was to blame as the dealer (who previously sold me the Audio Aéro) had the same reaction when we both listened to the newly acquired TAD D600 in my system. We looked at each other wondering how we could have been mistaken during the previous audition. It actually beats the Audio Aéro all the way with both CD's and particularly SACD's.

I also use the D600 as an external DAC for my Aurender X100L. The latter is only fitted with a USB output and the TAD does not have a USB input. I therefore use a Bel Canto Ref link as a digital interface between the Aurender and the TAD D600 and it works fine.

Please be aware that the two stock umbilicals between the power supply and the unit are quite short (2 feet long). I still don't get it why they are making them so short as the purpose is to stow the power supply far away from the unit itself. When I ordered my TAD D600, I requested to have longer umbilicals (5 feet) for which I had to pay an extra EUR 1400.

L1010330.jpg

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi dcc.
The TAD DA1000 is based on the D600 DAC system. How many happy are you with the D600 as a DAC?
As you said, it is running from an Aurender X100L. I'm considering between the new Aurender N100 ( linear power supply ) and an Auralic Aries.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hi dcc.
The TAD DA1000 is based on the D600 DAC system. How many happy are you with the D600 as a DAC?
As you said, it is running from an Aurender X100L. I'm considering between the new Aurender N100 ( linear power supply ) and an Auralic Aries.

I am primarily a vinyl guy but some of the music I am interested in is not available in vinyl (current interpretation of baroque music on period instruments from labels like BIS, Channel Classics, Alpha, Agogique etc.), I therefore need a good CD/SACD player in order to compete with my analog rig. The TAD is up to the task but it will never achieve audio nirvana like vinyl.

Computer audio is a secondary source for me. I am still in a discovery phase though my music library has been growing quite fast over the last weeks (call it convenience). At this stage, I did not want to invest too much in hardware hence the acquisition of the Aurender XL100 L and the Bel Canto Ref Link with Wireworld Platinum USB and AES/EBU as digital cables. I only buy high resolution files (mostly Flac 24/48 and 24/96 purchased from Qobuz). The DAC is very neutral with a lot of details and a warmth close to vinyl.

I am very pleased with the results of the DAC. However the CD/SACD drive of the TAD D600 is excellent and outperforms the Aurender/Bel Canto combo. A friend came by this morning and we compared the same recording of Domenico Gabrielli - La Nascita de Violoncello by Bruno Cocset on CD and High Rez File (Flac 24/96). The red book CD won by a small margin.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am primarily a vinyl guy but some of the music I am interested in is not available in vinyl (current interpretation of baroque music on period instruments from labels like BIS, Channel Classics, Alpha, Agogique etc.), I therefore need a good CD/SACD player in order to compete with my analog rig. The TAD is up to the task but it will never achieve audio nirvana like vinyl.

Computer audio is a secondary source for me. I am still in a discovery phase though my music library has been growing quite fast over the last weeks (call it convenience). At this stage, I did not want to invest too much in hardware hence the acquisition of the Aurender XL100 L and the Bel Canto Ref Link with Wireworld Platinum USB and AES/EBU as digital cables. I only buy high resolution files (mostly Flac 24/48 and 24/96 purchased from Qobuz). The DAC is very neutral with a lot of details and a warmth close to vinyl.

I am very pleased with the results of the DAC. However the CD/SACD drive of the TAD D600 is excellent and outperforms the Aurender/Bel Canto combo. A friend came by this morning and we compared the same recording of Domenico Gabrielli - La Nascita de Violoncello by Bruno Cocset on CD and High Rez File (Flac 24/96). The red book CD won by a small margin.

Fascinating feedback...thanks for that. Redbook CD wins by a small margin! Cool! In fact, I originally went to listen to the whole TAD system in Japan during a visit there because of their CD/SACD player which is a most intriguing piece. Looks built as well as a battleship. The effortless clarity of the whole system was extremely impressive. Obviously, that starts at the source.

Also equally interested in your baroque period instrument music! Big fan of BIS, Channel and other period instrument music...i do like Sir John Gardiner and his period instrument work quite a lot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing