What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes it is impossible but i give it another try , there have been multiple attempts to break through the S en P 2130 area and all failed , todays sell off might and i repeat " might" be the start of a big market correction:D

And the reasons are also there

china is selling
Oil the same
Greece
possible first rate hike coming

By the way this is ugly , two big cranes fell in the water from a ponton , apparently only injured people luckily .

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/24335350/__OVV_naar_Alphen_aan_den_Rijn__.html

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You could be right, though I think China is ultimately Yellen's problem (no interest hike; I think there won't be any this year). However, I don't like the teetering of the Dow this year, very unnerving, but glad to see Nasdaq and @&P make advances.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I always was in the peter schiff M faber camp but in the past years the long term predictions of harry dent became pretty true , ( not for short term predictions however ) , and that is oil selling off as well as gold and he sees a bright future for the us $ as a safe heaven

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I vividly remember the crash of 1987; today is another bloodbath, and irrational behavior has settled well in.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
There's already a bounce off the opening bottom as more stocks begin to trade. Lets see where things end up at the end of the day. We are officially in "correction" territory so there will likely be some bottom feeders coming it at some point.

However, the mass retail market will likely be putting in orders to panic sell with the mutual fund companies, so they might well be selling tomorrow, and also as margin calls come in others may be forced to liquidate tomorrow. I thing Tuesday is a better day to take advantage of some stabilization and buy some things into your retirement accounts for the long term. Lots of nice fat juicy dividend paying stocks that took a big hit, like Verizon and GE and such.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The road down aint a straight line as well , sept is the worst month for stocks , i ll be shorting until mid /end oct for a end of the year rally , i think well see a bottom somewhere in 2016 /17

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree, Bob. Someone was lucky enough to buy Verizon this morning just above $38 (now $45.76).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I own the CYB EFT (an EFT trading in Yuan / Chinese currency). The value of underlying assets of the funds are tied the $US / Yuan exachange rate - which has not moved and is entirely unrelated to stock prices. At some point in the morning the fund was down 40%. This were some panicking idiots putting in unlimited sell orders. The fund is now back to -1%. Someone made a 40% return with one trade.....

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Right now it's anyone's guess which direction things will move in the next hour, let alone the next week. But after that there might be some stabilization for a while as fundamentals (remember fundamentals?) start getting some press and the fear begins to subside. Remember, much of this slide was exacerbated by professional black box arbitrage trading which follows momentum. Also, the market generally takes 2-4 months to recover from real "corrections" so I expect a return to modest rising in stock indices around year end also. Maybe not back to where we were a month ago, but back to rational multiples of P/E.

Of course, all bets are off if something truly astonishing happens, like some big firm declaring bankruptcy or any number of other negative disasters that could fall out of this.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Right now it's anyone's guess which direction things will move in the next hour, let alone the next week. But after that there might be some stabilization for a while as fundamentals (remember fundamentals?) start getting some press and the fear begins to subside. Remember, much of this slide was exacerbated by professional black box arbitrage trading which follows momentum. Also, the market generally takes 2-4 months to recover from real "corrections" so I expect a return to modest rising in stock indices around year end also. Maybe not back to where we were a month ago, but back to rational multiples of P/E.

Of course, all bets are off if something truly astonishing happens, like some big firm declaring bankruptcy or any number of other negative disasters that could fall out of this.

Don't hold your breath. The fundamentals are off. While P/E is not too far out of whack, growth has been lacking. You cannot continue to cut cost to jack up earnings indefinitely. The boom was manufactured with cheap FED money and driven by stock buybacks with borrowed money. The chicken are coming home to roost, as eventually they always do.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
According to my vision /harry dent , the play is like this , get out at sp 2130 (multiple top , sorry to late imo ) for gamblers play the short side for others go US $ cash which also appreciated around 20 30 % during the 2008 sell off as a goto safe haven ,and come back in the market a couple of years from now , no gold either we are getting deflation and higher rates, every thing will get cheaper ,... hoera :D
As far as the bottom nobody knows there aint a bottom bell

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
:D

This crash ( if i am right )is gonna bring me my long beloved all retro mark levinson set up , 33 32 and the ref cd system( plus something extra on the side :p)

I suspect the sp will close at 1900 or 1874 tonight

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Today was a bit of overreaction to One Direction splitting up, me thinks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing