What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wonder what to really expect? News websites love doom and gloom so they make everything out bigger than it has to be... but then sometimes it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then vultures come in, which isn't really helping...

And just a few minutes ago...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I wonder what to really expect? News websites love doom and gloom so they make everything out bigger than it has to be... but then sometimes it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And then vultures come in, which isn't really helping...

And just a few minutes ago...

"While the bank's response reassured investors, its shares have still declined by around 50% this year."

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
DB on the verge of collapse? It's all a game; there is talk now about settling their fine with the US government, and that sent the stock soaring http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-futures-drop-amid-bank-rout-oil-copper-swing - not to mention all indices along with it. This is how you negotiate a $14b fine down to $5.4b, by roiling the markets.

That would be a wonderfully clever strategy and perhaps that could well have been their objective. 50 - 75 years ago maybe. But the corruption has grown much more intense and sophisticated than that level you may be referring to. Besides, to go thru all that for a measly $14B when they've already confiscated trillions wouldn't seem worth the effort. In fact, with the global economy hanging by a thread, that would be a very high risk bluff. Again for a measly $14B.

Wouldn't know where to start, but maybe this will give you a hint at a possible end-game. In particular, remember the speeches of George H.W. Bush where numerous times he spoke of, "A new world order", "a thousand points of light", and his assurance it will come to pass, etc. Well, many of us didn't have a clue what he was talking about at that time. But he knew exactly what he was talking about as did many of his comrades.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/the-georgia-guidestones-good-or-evil/82712556/

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I suppose when it comes to news about financial problems, they're only truly real if they've already happened... Speculative news is almost a guarantee to be nothing more than manipulation.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I suppose when it comes to news about financial problems, they're only truly real if they've already happened... Speculative news is almost a guarantee to be nothing more than manipulation.

Coming from a mere EE who's also a businessperson and owner of an IT integration company.

I find it very scary that a large portion of the World welfare (read economy) rides on what seems to be not far from a gambling operation. Will we see something similar to 2008 with these very worrisome speculations/news/manipulations? Will we come as unscathed (relatively speaking) as we did in 2008 when trillions were gifted to wrongdoing entities that were deemed " Too big to fall" so that they could just wash, rinse and repeat? When will the fascination with those strange notions of "Growth" stop? Do we seriously begin to realize how seriously wrong all this is? How much harm it will cause some time, any time? Or has already caused?
It may seem I am crapping on a thread , I would suggest to read the Title: "What's going on with the US stock market lately?". To me, that is.

P.S. I was shaking my head in disbelief when I read about the notion of a "mere" 14 Billions!!! That would tell how much money, one entity is dealing with .. My entire country economy would almost double with this amount for GDP!!! Yet just a fine, that should have been a lot more by the way, for people playing with entire populations hard-earned money and frankly, lives and welfare ... That we can sit and find this not seriously wrong is beyond me ...

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Coming from a mere EE who's also a businessperson and owner of an IT integration company.

I find it very scary that a large portion of the World welfare (read economy) rides on what seems to be not far from a gambling operation. Will we see something similar to 2008 with these very worrisome speculations/news/manipulations? Will we come as unscathed (relatively speaking) as we did in 2008 when trillions were gifted to wrongdoing entities that were deemed " Too big to fall" so that they could just wash, rinse and repeat? When will the fascination with those strange notions of "Growth" stop? Do we seriously begin to realize how seriously wrong all this is? How much harm it will cause some time, any time? Or has already caused?
It may seem I am crapping on a thread , I would suggest to read the Title: "What's going on with the US stock market lately?". To me, that is.

P.S. I was shaking my head in disbelief when I read about the notion of a "mere" 14 Billions!!! That would tell how much money, one entity is dealing with .. My entire country economy would almost double with this amount for GDP!!! Yet just a fine, that should have been a lot more by the way, for people playing with entire populations hard-earned money and frankly, lives and welfare ... That we can sit and find this not seriously wrong is beyond me ...

"Not far from a gambling operation" is being kind when the "Too big to fail" banks were bailed out with additional language that guaranteed all their future investments. That put them in a position where they could make any crazy investment imaginable, which they did, of course. Now they have more riding in the derivatives market than money exists in the world. The US stock market can never correct, or these shaky investments will likely collapse. If that happens, the US Treasury cannot cover the losses because the amount involved is more than the total combined value of everything in the world. Scary indeed!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
A reminder: you can see a figure of 52 Trillion Euros of derivatives.

Of interest:

Charting the Epic Collapse of the World's Most Systemically Dangerous Bank.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
The question is now: since Merkel announced there would be no bail-out, how things play out.

This is potentially far more devastating that when Lehman went down and other banks were bailed out.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
"Not far from a gambling operation" is being kind when the "Too big to fail" banks were bailed out with additional language that guaranteed all their future investments. That put them in a position where they could make any crazy investment imaginable, which they did, of course. Now they have more riding in the derivatives market than money exists in the world. The US stock market can never correct, or these shaky investments will likely collapse. If that happens, the US Treasury cannot cover the losses because the amount involved is more than the total combined value of everything in the world. Scary indeed!

It would be naive to think this economic instability is mere happenstance. (not saying you're naive) For lack of a better date, the instability started in 1916.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
The question is now: since Merkel announced there would be no bail-out, how things play out.

This is potentially far more devastating that when Lehman went down and other banks were bailed out.

Well, Deutsche Bank is purportedly the 11th largest bank in the world with assets nearing $2 trillion and with derivatives nearing $60 trillion as I recall. Certainly no slouch. Last week Merkel apparently cautioned Germans to ensure their homes were well-stocked.

I can't imagine too many investors and depositors sitting around hoping to be the last one to turn out the light at DB.

5 years ago Germany and their banks including DB were supposedly solvent enough to shore up much of western Europe. But with Ireland, Greece, Spain, Portugal, and other economies bottoming out, including China, Japan, U.S., Venezuela, Brazil, and a host of other nations along with so much other crazy stuff going on, including the US seeking to draw Russia into a war, well, I'd venture potentially anything's possible.

Regarding the end of the world as we know it, I'm predicting that we're closer than we've ever been. :p

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
It would be naive to think this economic instability is mere happenstance. (not saying you're naive) For lack of a better date, the instability started in 1916.

Indeed there are planned deficiencies. Crises are a good opportunity to dig deeper and learn how the system works.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

Last week Merkel apparently cautioned Germans to ensure their homes were well-stocked.

No coincidence at all.

This past week-end some people couldn't cash out from DB ATMs too.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Most banks overhere are technically bust they just dont know it yet imo , after 8 years of free money , they now lend at 1,54 % 10 year mortgage , you dont have to be a rocketscientist to understand what will happen if rates are at 2 or 3 percent from the central bank .
The fed did it again it blew the biggest one of all time

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing