What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
If people are selling into this decline, part is desperation and part is due to some more certainty about expected economic growth than before. The lucky ones are those who will still have cash when it's over. Buy late sell early.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Unless the Chinese government takes drastic measures to maintain *reasonable* growth, the perceived China-problem is here to pester the markets. Looking at the various Chinese-economy growth forecasts over the next few years, e.g. http://knoema.com/loqqwx/china-gdp-growth-forecast-2015-2020-and-up-to-2060-data-and-charts , the projected downward trend isn't going to help us those invested in the market. Though the projected growth in 2015 is still around 7% and much more than the rest of the world, the worldwide market reaction clearly indicates that China is the world's factory; not a dissimilar situation if one country were to control most of the flow of oil.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Now was there a bounce at around 1875 or what , i should start a hedge fund :D, further i think it will top at 2000 or 2050 , for yet another bigger decline beneath 1875
I closed half of the position at 1900 a little to late , didnt play calls unfortunately
401 aex it was , funny thing about the markets is is that its turns around numbers, resistance or support

Last edited:

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I have been professionally involved in debt and equity capital markets for over 30 years, and find this thread mildly amusing. I love you guys on audio matters but even a lot of knowledge is a dangerous thing when it comes to market timing. Expect to lose some money before you become "The New Market Wizards". Good luck!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I have been professionally involved in debt and equity capital markets for over 30 years, and find this thread mildly amusing. I love you guys on audio matters but even a lot of knowledge is a dangerous thing when it comes to market timing. Expect to lose some money before you become "The New Market Wizards". Good luck!

LOL -- right on :)

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Market timing is a fools game. You will never catch the top, or bottom, correctly. However, there are periods when a dip can be taken advantage of, if you have a time horizon longer than 6mo-1 year. For instance, does anyone think oil will remain at $40 in 3 years? What an opportunity to periodically buy into energy right now, as long as you don;t need the money before year end. Same thing for the current equity market dip. Next year is an election year and the market generally does well then, plus the economy is better now than it was a year ago. So this dip could be bought into for a return over the next year.

It is fun to try and predict the numbers though, even though it is more like putting a finger in the air than making a prediction based on any kind of fundamental facts.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Market timing is a fools game. You will never catch the top, or bottom, correctly. However, there are periods when a dip can be taken advantage of, if you have a time horizon longer than 6mo-1 year. For instance, does anyone think oil will remain at $40 in 3 years? What an opportunity to periodically buy into energy right now, as long as you don;t need the money before year end. Same thing for the current equity market dip. Next year is an election year and the market generally does well then, plus the economy is better now than it was a year ago. So this dip could be bought into for a return over the next year.

It is fun to try and predict the numbers though, even though it is more like putting a finger in the air than making a prediction based on any kind of fundamental facts.

Yes, you can never catch a bottom or a top correctly, but you can take advantage of dips longer term.

I had made some good money this year already in my retirement account, buying into dips (while never catching the top correctly of course), and then decided to leave the market because it seemed too stable for too long, and trading within a very narrow range for most of the year, making it vulnerable to even minor shocks, and in my view there were no longer term prospects at this point to expect further short-term growth (we just came out of a 'meh' earnings season). So I had sat out the first dip of 6 % during last week, but then went in. I hoped there would be a rebound on Monday, but took into account the possibility that the market might drop further anyway. I just wanted to make sure I had a good gain over the market come year's end.

Well, on Monday and Tuesday I dipped with the market 5 %. So I lost some money. Tough luck. No reason to panic, I thought, because I was in for the long term. And yes, the rebound came unexpectedly swift, and I might even have some gains this week, who'd have thought. But I'm in for the longer term anyway. I won't get out before having made serious money again, which means at least several %, with perhaps some losses along the way. At this point there really is no way to tell which direction the market might go. Another dip to 1875? Nah, on what grounds? I guess the panic on China is over-blown (while their economy may slow down, their stock market has no connection to the real economy), and the US still looks good, also with the newest numbers this week. How will the market react to an interest hike by the Fed? Who knows. So I'll stay in. The market might fly up swiftly again to previous levels, and I don't want to miss out if that happens. Yes, it might also stall, or it might drop, even severely. No way to tell at this point.

Should I have gone in this Monday or Tuesday instead of last Friday? Sure, but as pointed out you can never tell the bottom correctly. I was simply looking at my nice % point advantage over the market this year, a pure numbers game, and decided that it was good enough to get in again, for hopefully some good yield come year's end -- even if the market ends flat, I'll still have made some serious good money.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I added to my positions on Friday also. I got a little scared on Monday, saw the reversal but was busy at the close so missed another chance to buy in some more. Tues and Wed I was traveling so didn't see where we were until yesterday. All in all, I am happy I bought in on Friday and think that's going to be a reasonable profit by year end. However September might just give us more "opportunity" before the S&P gets back above 2000.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I added to my positions on Friday also. … All in all, I am happy I bought in on Friday and think that's going to be a reasonable profit by year end.

We seem to think alike :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The rest of the crash played out by me ( if it happens:D), close the position at 375 aex , wait for the rebound ( max aex 400 ) then get in for the sept/ oct biggie , close the position at expiration (every 3rd Friday of the month) so third Friday of oct whatever the value might be, after that maybe shares or calls for the end of the year rally

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I already made a small fortune , but with another 25 -30 % drop before oct 16 , no work no more for me:D, officially retired.
But hey cant sit at home all day , so i ll just keep working :D, maybe a day in the week less

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its getting tricky for my sept 420 series , 9 tradingdays more to drop under 420 for them to expire in the money , otherwise the money aint no longermine , i still have okt series but....:p
The aex should be much lower last year with 1874 spx it bottomed at 366 , our dutch index definetively doesnt expect a crash coming

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
402 aex was" the spike" down to close unfortunately , didnt profit optimally , but hey it aint easy .
Now we seem to be in a certain consolidation fase , afic its a kind of flag pattern on which when the bottom breaks out it will make onother big leg down , (it could also be a market bottom off course ) :p:mad:
All the sept puts are out to risky , ive got only oct series now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing