What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
All of the above plus the price of oil.

Bob...and a political black swan. Trump’s war with the Deep State. If Herr Mueller with Mr. Magoo and Mr. Peepers indict Trump..kiss this market goodbye.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I m building a large long goldminers position . . .

Spot gold and gold miner equities often do not display the close correlation people usually assume. Why gold stocks for you and not a gold trust ETF or physical gold?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes and right at the top of the list.

The price of oil going down is good for most of the S&P 500.

There is no trade war. (I think you think there is only because I believe you don’t understand the tactics of this administration.)

Interest rates have started to go down.

Italy falling apart brings down European banks, but this makes U.S. stocks look relatively more stable.

Debt levels? I completely agree with you. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Some gold mine stocks have gone up 4 times or 6 times when gold went to 2000 an ounce , roughly when gold only doubled .
At my account in holland it cost nothing to keep the position , physical gold you need to store which are costs
ETF s have probably more position costs .
Nobody can of course say if or when it will happen , i like speculation a bit more , investing is too boring lol

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But the line from last year is still up in a larger timeframe .
Interest rates are bound to go up imo and then all hell brakes loose my guess is at 4 or 5
The EU is a corrupt dead horse which they are pulling/keeping alive on low interest rates , too many fat cats in brussels.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Some gold mine stocks have gone up 4 times or 6 times when gold went to 2000 an ounce , roughly when gold only doubled .
At my account in holland it cost nothing to keep the position , physical gold you need to store which are costs
ETF s have probably more position costs .
Nobody can of course say if or when it will happen , i like speculation a bit more , investing is too boring lol

Fair enough. :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

There is no trade war. (I think you think there is only because I believe you don’t understand the tactics of this administration.)

Italy falling apart brings down European banks, but this makes U.S. stocks look relatively more stable.

Declining crude is deflationary....especially given the debt.

The art of the deal...I'll give you that.

Interest rates...can signal a market top....especially after a run.

Europe is a cluster and a declining Euro is a rising dollar...bearish for multi nationals.

:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve told long time ago , interest rate rise would eventually sink stocks , just as they elevated ( interest at 0 ) them in the beginning of 2009 .
How ever my dumb ass missed the whole rally :p;)
Now lets see where my july put contracts end up , possibly SPX 2140 , i hope ..lol

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
If this is not a trade war, I don't know what is. Bad for business, bad for the economy and the stock market. If Trump is such a good negotiator, why is he not negotiating? I'll tell you why. It's all smoke and mirrors. He's a weenie, he's not tough. Just look at how he talks about Kim Jung Un, kissing up. He's a poor negotiator, so all he can do is act unilaterally.

I think it is clever how China and The EU are targeting Trump-land by going after Harley, pork and soy beans. I've listened to the interviews. These people will have to be starving and bankrupt before they finally realize that Trump has screwed them. Tribalism at its best.

Going after tariffs on high-tech is a BIG MISTAKE IMO. This is our golden egg and you don't mess with that. Trump is convinced that cars and steel mills are our golden eggs. The other tariffs are an inconvenience, but not a big hit to the economy. Tech will be a big hit. Most are already losing a lot of money in their 401K's thanks to this bluster.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
If this is not a trade war, I don't know what is. Bad for business, bad for the economy and the stock market. If Trump is such a good negotiator, why is he not negotiating? I'll tell you why. It's all smoke and mirrors. He's a weenie, he's not tough. Just look at how he talks about Kim Jung Un, kissing up. He's a poor negotiator, so all he can do is act unilaterally.

I think it is clever how China and The EU are targeting Trump-land by going after Harley, pork and soy beans. I've listened to the interviews. These people will have to be starving and bankrupt before they finally realize that Trump has screwed them. Tribalism at its best.

Going after tariffs on high-tech is a BIG MISTAKE IMO. This is our golden egg and you don't mess with that. Trump is convinced that cars and steel mills are our golden eggs. The other tariffs are an inconvenience, but not a big hit to the economy. Tech will be a big hit. Most are already losing a lot of money in their 401K's thanks to this bluster.

You're clueless pal. The Chinese economy is in a major slowdown, devaluation is not an option, they have ZERO monetary manipulation at their disposal, they import nothing from America so their tariff threat is meaningless, the EU will NEVER side with China just like the EU is siding with Trump when having no choice with Iran.

Xi's threats are all based on meaningless assumptions.

Lastly, China is an enemy militarily and economically for the last 25 years. People like you support America's enemies which is fine as it defines who you are. As to the stock market, short term pain for long term gain. Stock market down 5.5% from it's peak is hardly a crash and quite frankly is due for a correction to skim the overvalued cream. Reality is day of the election, Dow futures were down 1000 points to a Dow 17K on a Trump Victory. Where are we now? Pretty good for a "weenie" Mr. Nugent, NO??

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

Exactly.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
How is the timber industry in the USA stock market? ...Prices for new homes going up, or down?
Young couples find it more affordable to start new family homes? The economy is in good hands, people's hands, the hard workers who invest with their sweat and money in the banks?
And the large investment institutions they invest properly and securely and wisely the money that is entrusted to them? ...For their good benefit, or theirs?

I ask because it's been about a week I didn't follow the recent US stock market...Dow Jones Industrial Average and NASDAQ Composite.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think trade tariffs are never a smart thing but who am i .
That things get made in low wage countries is a marketmechanism nobody is gonna change that , lots of US companies profit from that .
In the company where i work it goes as follows , first things get made in belgium 50 years ago , then spain , poland turkey etc
When these became to expensive it became china , and now india , its a market mechanism simple .
But its not gonnna last china is becoming much more expensive to produce and for people to live in , workers will demand higher wages , in my opinion in 20 - 30 years it wont be a discussion no more

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
How are the US farmers doing?
How is US Harley-Davidson doing?
The aviation industry in the USA?
The petroleum industry in the USA?
The steel companies in the USA?
Renewable resources in the USA?

How many jobs lost for every single job created, or the reverse?
Are normal Americans gaining, better off today than tomorrow never come?
Are we happier living in this great country built by our fathers and ancestors?
Is America better positioned in the world's stage, or in the home's stage?

I just asked because I didn't follow the stock market much last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing