RPG economics

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Wearing my dealer's hat, I've got no problem being over cut (if that's even a real term), only if I'm undercut. Just order from a dealer and enjoy the savings then.

Who knows, maybe RPG put on a premium for time spent supporting the customer, after all if you buy from a dealer that's included in the price!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
- did that include shipping?
- was it a single 72" x 48" panel?
- what fabric did you ask for?

I need 2 x 96" panels. Quote was for the standard grey fabric (only beige is premium). They actually also wanted about a $100 more for the shipping than the dealer....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Who knows, maybe RPG put on a premium for time spent supporting the customer, after all if you buy from a dealer that's included in the price!

You are giving them way to much benefit of the doubt. If the dealer orders, they drop ship to me, and if I order direct they do the exact same thing (strange then how they charge me $100 extra for shipping). There is zero support involved in this transaction.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I need 2 x 96" panels. Quote was for the standard grey fabric (only beige is premium). They actually also wanted about a $100 more for the shipping than the dealer....

$971 is MSRP for the 76" high BTW.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
You are giving them way to much benefit of the doubt. If the dealer orders, they drop ship to me, and if I order direct they do the exact same thing (strange then how they charge me $100 extra for shipping). There is zero support involved in this transaction.

Not really sure why it is strange they charge an extra $100 for shipping. It's been my experience that when it comes to acoustical room treatments, the customer always has to pay shipping. And shipping quantities of large, heavy, room treatments, is not exactly cheap!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Not really sure why it is strange they charge an extra $100 for shipping. It's been my experience that when it comes to acoustical room treatments, the customer always has to pay shipping. And shipping quantities of large, heavy, room treatments, is not exactly cheap!

They charge nearly a $100 more than the retailer (I believe $260 versus $180). Since it is the exact same shipment (i.e. from factory to me), I find that strange.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
They charge nearly a $100 more than the retailer (I believe $260 versus $180). Since it is the exact same shipment (i.e. from factory to me), I find that strange.

Ah... okay.

Out of curiousity, where in the room is it considered normal placement for these screens? I'm not really familiar with them at all. On the surface (no pun intended), it appears you have to be careful to not over-damp with these devices.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re item price...well what is going on here is that BH Photo are either:
a) listing at less than MSRP or
b) haven't updated their price on that item for a while (RPG change prices often, and no retail price list is available, everything is done on a per project quote basis) or
c) have incorrectly assigned the $971 to the 96" vs the 72"

Re shipping, it is highly likely that BH Photo will have a different shipping price. They have real time quotes based on common carrier or freight rates using UPS / Fedex which are likely some way off reality. RPG are looking up freight prices in a different system, using different carriers. RPG will charge BH Photo the same price you have been quoted, net net, BH Photo makes a loss on shipping.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ah... okay.

Out of curiousity, where in the room is it considered normal placement for these screens? I'm not really familiar with them at all. On the surface (no pun intended), it appears you have to be careful to not over-damp with these devices.

Mine will go behind the listening position in this open space. I ahve a lot of echoing going there and need more absorbtion.

RoomBack.JPG

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Re item price...well what is going on here is that BH Photo are either:
a) listing at less than MSRP or
b) haven't updated their price on that item for a while (RPG change prices often, and no retail price list is available, everything is done on a per project quote basis) or
c) have incorrectly assigned the $971 to the 96" vs the 72"

Re shipping, it is highly likely that BH Photo will have a different shipping price. They have real time quotes based on common carrier or freight rates using UPS / Fedex which are likely some way off reality. RPG are looking up freight prices in a different system, using different carriers. RPG will charge BH Photo the same price you have been quoted, net net, BH Photo makes a loss on shipping.

It is conceivable B&H has a mistake in their pricing database, and RPG is innocent of the charges (case dismissed). Sounds like a better put in my order quick.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
It is conceivable B&H has a mistake in their pricing database, and RPG is innocent of the charges (case dismissed). Sounds like a better put in my order quick.

That would be my guess as to what is going on. I do my best to stay on top of RPG's pricing changes, but others probably do not, especially someone like BH Photo where acoustics is not their focus and who have probably hundreds of thousands of SKUs and hundreds of different suppliers.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Mine will go behind the listening position in this open space. I ahve a lot of echoing going there and need more absorbtion.

View attachment 9775

I see. I'm surprised you are having that much trouble at the back of the room with all of the angles, shelves, and built-in little cubic juts.

Just a thought; Have you considered the highly reflective leather sofa causing you some issues? I was using some all leather theater seating a while back, and one day I pulled all of them out, and drug in my cloth sofa from the living room. Made all of the difference in the world! As much as I love the comfort of the theater chairs, I am going to stick with the cloth seating.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I see. I'm surprised you are having that much trouble at the back of the room with all of the angles, shelves, and built-in little cubic juts.

I was thinking the same, but I got some expert advise from a professional recently and he assured me the back of the room was causing me problems. Hence my plan to acquire the screens.

Just a thought; Have you considered the highly reflective leather sofa causing you some issues? I was using some all leather theater seating a while back, and one day I pulled all of them out, and drug in my cloth sofa from the living room. Made all of the difference in the world! As much as I love the comfort of the theater chairs, I am going to stick with the cloth seating.

Certainly a though and if I had to do it all over again I might have gotten a fabric sofa. For now, changing the furniture is not in the cards...

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Not sure who you contacted but the person I dealt with @ RPG was the rudest and worst contact I've experienced. Said person was adamant that I had to deal with a rep in my area and when I OK'd the order, he realized he had quoted me dealer cost and reneged blaming RPG. Both the dealer and rep said "too bad". I ended up with another local rep but it was not much better as the RPG rep emailed back questioning why I swapped dealers and that I was trying to just low-ball them.

Anyway, my order were for 2 x 72" Variscreens, some BAD panels, one BAD Arc, and 4 x 1-foot Absorbors. It came in the heaviest, amazingly built wooden crate I've ever seen (my B&W 802D2 didn't have a box this good). So I can imagine shipping for your Variscreen to be pricey. IIRC, 72" is borderline standard rate whereas a 96" screen would definitely qualify as oversized.

BTW, I thought Nyal does free shipping within the US for items over $399? Why not go through him?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
BTW, I thought Nyal does free shipping within the US for items over $399? Why not go through him?

For starters, it appears Nyal has the current pricelist which has the 72" listed at $971. If B&H will sell me the 96" for the same amount, I can easily absorb the $185 shipping they charge (for both) and come out ahead.

RPG mentioned oover email they are crating the screens, which strikes me as a bit of overkill.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Wow...I didn't realize it went up that much! For the record, I paid CAD$679 for each last year. That's with standard fabric.

WRT the crating, I think they have to be safe. These will dent quite easily (they are like Roxul type material underneath, I think). I can feel that whenever I move mine around. Good luck with your purchase!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Wow...I didn't realize it went up that much! For the record, I paid CAD$679 for each last year. That's with standard fabric.

WRT the crating, I think they have to be safe. These will dent quite easily (they are like Roxul type material underneath, I think). I can feel that whenever I move mine around. Good luck with your purchase!

I am now thinking of getting three instead of two, and basically create a complete harmonica'ed "wall" in the back of my room. I can try absorbtion and diffusion and see what works best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing