Young, EXCITING New Bands...bringing back the EARLY 60's!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I recently discovered some very exciting YOUNG performers
authentically mining pre 1967, pre psychedelic rock, blues, and folk..

think early Dylan, Yardbirds, Stones, Rascals etc...

I have not been this excited for a while about new music. The music "business" is dead?
Who cares. Those with a passion will pick up guitars, drums, and microphones regardless.

Jake Bugg: 19 years old!
jake-bugg-album-cover-22.jpg

The Strypes: 18 years old but bring it like nobody's business...!!
rype.jpg

There are a few more too!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I mastered a band from Portland earlier this year. Last Friday they opened for Stevie Wonder!

Chance Hayden

Awesome, thanks Bruce. Feel free to pass on any new bands that catch your ear...

Seeing the Strypes on Jools Holland last week made the hair on the back of my neck stand up...
reminded me of when I first dropped the needle on The Yardbirds "I'm A Man"...

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

A little known band with two rather lovely albums.

About as authentic a 60s sound as you could get, from this Swedish band.

A Kent band with a perfect mod sound.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

A little known band with two rather lovely albums.

About as authentic a 60s sound as you could get, from this Swedish band.

A Kent band with a perfect mod sound.

Great stuff...I saw that Miles Kane performance...even the pants are authentic!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I recently discovered some very exciting YOUNG performers
authentically mining pre 1967, pre psychedelic rock, blues, and folk..

think early Dylan, Yardbirds, Stones, Rascals etc...

I have not been this excited for a while about new music. The music "business" is dead?
Who cares. Those with a passion will pick up guitars, drums, and microphones regardless.

Jake Bugg: 19 years old!
View attachment 9758

The Strypes: 18 years old but bring it like nobody's business...!!
View attachment 9759

There are a few more too!

Jake Bugg, btw, was on Letterman a few weeks ago..I am sure it can be You Tubed or Hulud or whatever.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I saw this guy open for Rickie Lee Jones a couple months ago... pretty cool he actually had vinyl for sale at the show!

Jesse Dee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The Smithereens have been working this territory for a couple of decades, and while the period they're mining is a decade or so later, you can hear plenty of roots in bands like Counting Crows, Toad The Wet Sprocket and The Decemberists. Crows owe a lot to the likes of Van Morrison. The Decemberists should be paying royalties to Jethro Tull and King Crimson. Good to see even younger bands digging into the roots, though. I'll have to check these kids out.

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Smithereens have been working this territory for a couple of decades, and while the period they're mining is a decade or so later, you can hear plenty of roots in bands like Counting Crows, Toad The Wet Sprocket and The Decemberists. Crows owe a lot to the likes of Van Morrison. The Decemberists should be paying royalties to Jethro Tull and King Crimson. Good to see even younger bands digging into the roots, though. I'll have to check these kids out.

Tim

Generally agree. The Smithereens definitely had and have a cult following. Mass appeal was always going to be tough
due to the lead singers voice, which is an acquired taste.

The Crows and Decemberists are way to polished to really be compared to this new movement so to speak.

And yeh, the lead singer of the Crows should send half his royalties to Van Morrison. I couldn't stand the Jewish Dread Locks...Lol..:D

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Has anyone here heard of Nic Armstrong? A few years back he put together a great album playing all the instruments himself at vintage equipment-only Toe Rag Studios, then toured with his band The Thieves. He's doing new stuff apparently.

http://nicarmstrongmusic.com/

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Has anyone here heard of Nic Armstrong? A few years back he put together a great album playing all the instruments himself at vintage equipment-only Toe Rag Studios, then toured with his band The Thieves. He's doing new stuff apparently.

http://nicarmstrongmusic.com/

I saw him on Live at Darryl's house...not bad. A bit orthodox in his retro thing..but i like it.

BTW, my Jake Bugg, Laura Marling, and Laura Mvula CDs arrived today..lots of listening to do!

I thought CDs were dead? LOL.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Couple more bands to add to the list. Not sure if they've broken in the US yet, been around here in the UK for a bit now.

The Lumineers - The essenence of English folk pop

Palma Violets - all the energy of an early Who gig (well almost)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Couple more bands to add to the list. Not sure if they've broken in the US yet, been around here in the UK for a bit now.

The Lumineers - The essenence of English folk pop

Palma Violets - all the energy of an early Who gig (well almost)

Um...the Lumineers are from the USA. Their debut album has been a big hit here. They even played
the Grammys.

I have not explored the Palma Violets..but I will check them out.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Um...the Lumineers are from the USA. Their debut album has been a big hit here. They even played
the Grammys.

Well I didn't know that :)

Only picked up the album recently on the reco of a friend and assumed... still, think they sound more UK than US!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Well I didn't know that :)

Only picked up the album recently on the reco of a friend and assumed... still, think they sound more UK than US!

How interesting! I thought they sounded American..actually they have been called
America's answer to Mumford & Sons.:)

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing