New Vinyl from MA Recordings!!!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This year, MA Recordings celebrates 2.5 decades of creative, acoustic music by getting into some very serious vinyl! The first release is a 2LP set of LA SEGUNDA by the Argentine super group, Sera una Noche. This long time favorite of MA fans, was recorded 15 YEARS AGO(!) at 176.4 kHz in a small church in the countryside of Argentina. We up-sampled the 176.4K files to 5.6 MHz double DSD and took them to Len Horowitz, a cutting engineer veteran of 41 years who is well known for his legendary 1950 Scully cutting lathe and Westrex cutting head. Len “sculpted” the lacquers on his Scully, directly from our modified KORG MR2000s, after which they were immediately flown to Desmond Narraine for Metal finishing at Mastercraft in NJ. Desmond, who started at Decca over 40 years ago, worked his magic and sent his stampers of perfection to Bill Smith Custom Records in LA who is pressing the 180gm disc just in time for THE SHOW NEWPORT!!

La Segunda.jpg

Besides LA SEGUNDA, Len Horowitz also cut an incredible 12 inch 45 rpm single (for 180gm release) of some of the best tracks from the first Sera una Noche album. Numerous audiophile luminaries auditioned test pressings at the recent show in Munich and all expressed great interest in acquiring multiple copies!! You can get yours, literally hot off the presses, directly from MA Recordings in room 322 at the HILTON!!

Sera.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a great chat with him - looking forward to help expedite his business down here!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Or the 2x DSDs :)

Gary, didn't you post something a while ago about MA going in the download business, with DSD downloads?

alexandre

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Got mine on order. Can't wait to hear it.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am having a bit of trouble with that web site's design... How do you find this title? I had to use google. There is no top link for vinyl... and how do you tell the format (the hi-rez digital is clearly marked, but others are not) if and when you find the title?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Or the 2x DSDs :)

Gary, didn't you post something a while ago about MA going in the download business, with DSD downloads?

alexandre

Yes - he was trying to get into it, but has website challenges. At the moment, his high-rez recordings are only available on DVD-ROM.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am having a bit of trouble with that web site's design... How do you find this title? I had to use google. There is no top link for vinyl... and how do you tell the format (the hi-rez digital is clearly marked, but others are not) if and when you find the title?

It a long time for me (and many others) to persuade him to make the vinyl..... so I'm not surprised that the website hasn't been updated yet.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It a long time for me (and many others) to persuade him to make the vinyl..... so I'm not surprised that the website hasn't been updated yet.

OK. I have to admit this web site's design is from last century... he could pay a college kid to fix it up.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Problem is that Todd is a one-man-show, and he's doing everything himself. He doesn't have the skills to supervise the college kid. Last month, he tried to revamp the site with an "external consultant" and that caused his site to go down for 2 weeks......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Todd has been a mainstay of great music for years

I absolutely agree! His recordings are all spectacular, and I'm expecting that the vinyl will be even better!

I have all his high-rez files, and have demo'ed many to appreciative audiences around the world.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
And the recordings are getting even better! He didn't believe in the quality of the power cable until he had the unfortunate experience of trying out one of my Absolute Fidelity power cords on his modified Korg recorder during the "Live vs Recorded" session last June for the PNWAS. His eyes grew wide, and we had to flip back and forth a few times for him to really believe it. Needless to say, I couldn't take that cord away from him.

He is out today listening to the test pressings, but I've invited him to come and contribute here.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And the recordings are getting even better! He didn't believe in the quality of the power cable until he had the unfortunate experience of trying out one of my Absolute Fidelity power cords on his modified Korg recorder during the "Live vs Recorded" session last June for the PNWAS. His eyes grew wide, and we had to flip back and forth a few times for him to really believe it. Needless to say, I couldn't take that cord away from him.

He is out today listening to the test pressings, but I've invited him to come and contribute here.

Todd is a member here under username...

MA Recordings

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Gary,
Do you have experience mixing your power cables with re-generators such as the PS Audio units? We must find a way of trying the Absolute Fidelity power cords in Europe!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

+1

i've had that 'can't take that cord away' experience with Gary's Absolute Fidelity power cords too. when i first heard it in my system it was a pair of power cords that were going to Singapore with a friend of mine and Gary's. after i heard them in my system i told my friend that Gary would need to make him another pair and ship them to him.

my friend was accomodating and it worked out.

now i have 9 of his power cords in my system.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
I have it on CD. I can only imagine how good it is on vinyl

Dear Steve

Finally, I am up! Thanks for your nice comment! Actually, you cannot imagine how it sounds. As I upsampled to 5.6 Mhz, the sound has taken on an elegance I have not experienced before. The music is, of course, all there, but the sound is more refined, relaxed and gentle. I hate to say it, but it sounds less digital than analog. You might even say that it sounds unique. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has mastered any LPs at 5.6 Mhz, even though I upsampled. If all goes welll, I will cut a record from native 5.6 MHz and then we will know more! In any case, it is especially lovely on Lidia Borda's voice. She has quite a name for herself as a Tango songstress in Argentina.

Best Wishes

todd
ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing