It's the source that drives the industry.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Records are being made. I suggested a 200gram one sided 45 rpm. What would be the method of recording the ultimate LP? What form would it take.? Certainly cost would be o object.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Records are being made. I suggested a 200gram one sided 45 rpm. What would be the method of recording the ultimate LP? What form would it take.? Certainly cost would be o object.

Off the top of my head:

A 180 gram pressing will be better because current presses have trouble with 200 gm and Q/C suffers eg. otherwise MM would have done their BN at 200 grams.

80% of the sound is the choice of recording venue eg. finding something like Kingsway Hall in London for classical recordings would be nice. In other words, getting the sound right before the recording rather than today's correct it after the fact attitude (in large part driven by orchestral costs). For jazz, a small intimate club-preferably a live recording.

Find the optimal miking pattern for that hall. Overall, I prefer Wilkinson's Decca tree configuration (http://mixonline.com/recording/applications/audio_decca_tree/) for classical. RVG's technique for studio jazz -- but overall prefer live jazz recordings because of the ambience.

D2D might give the best sound but there is the artistic and length of sides consideration.

2 track, one inch tape, 20 ips, Tim's EQ curve. Alternatively, KOJ's special focussed gap machine.

Minimal number of tape generations.

Released on 15 ips reel to reel tape.

180 gram single sided (you know that EMI's test pressings used to be single sided--and they definitely sounded better than the regular double sided issue).

45 rpm (though one might want to experiment with 78 rpm stereo--not such a wild idea)

Limited number of pressings/stamper.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
80% of the sound is the choice of recording venue eg. finding something like Kingsway Hall in London for classical recordings would be nice. For jazz, a small intimate club-preferably a live recording.

If you want that live ambiance, yes, and I do love that ambiance. But size and placement and noise from the audience is going effect the outcome, and there's little doubt that the right studio environment is much easier to control. For ultimate fidelity, as opposed to concert realism, the studio, not the hall would be the better choice. The best recordings in my collection (mostly jazz) are devoid of multi-tracking, use simple mic and isolation techniques and are recorded in studios.

D2D might give the best sound but there is the artistic and length of sides consideration.

I'd avoid that disc altogether (surprise! :))

2 track, one inch tape, 20 ips

Sure, though I think you could capture it digitally as well...

Minimal number of tape generations.

Yep, if you're gonna use tape....

Released on 15 ips reel to reel tape.

...that would be lovely. Now here's the issue, and it's the ultimate problem with ultimate analog audiophilery...All of that would spend so much for a market so small that you may as well put on a special concert for the lucky few. Still, if you can afford the equipment required to get the most out of all of that and are satisfied with the vanishingly small bit of software available to play upon it, enjoy the music.

P

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am hoping any disagreement on digital vs analog is taken to the other threads :).

Edit: clarifying a bit. The topic is about LPs and it should remain that way. Thank you.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Back to the topic, how is he sweetening the sound? Using analog console? If so, why is he mentioning the dCS converter?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
AMIRM. That's a good question. I'm not sure. I looked at the tape again. I assume the he is using that huge board they all have. Could it be he is converting some digital masters to vinyl?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am hoping any disagreement on digital vs analog is taken to the other threads :).

Edit: clarifying a bit. The topic is about LPs and it should remain that way. Thank you.

Point well-taken. You might want to make it over in the Digital forum as well.

P

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You lost me here P. Would you clarify please?

Sorry Jack, didn't mean to be obtuse, and this is, of course, MHO, but the live venue with the acoustics of a really well-designed recording space would be rare enough. Add the background noise of the crowd, and the variable, uncontrolled damping that crowd creates...well, it's all pretty unpredictable and uncontrollable. I can tell you from experience that a small acoustic ensemble sounds "better," if better means clarity, instrument separation, the ability to hear detail, etc., in the right living room, the right rehearsal space, the right studio space, than it does in almost any live venue. And some of the best recordings I've heard, easily, are those jazz records made "live in studio," where the techniques are very similar to live recordings, but the environment is controlled.

But there is no substitute for the ambience of a live venue. It takes you there. When done well it can be pretty wonderful. And the performance is 99% of what matters anyway. Often a live audience inspires.

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing