Kuzma at Munich 2013 high-end audio show

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
LEGEND IN PERPETCUM MOBILE

franc_kuzma_turntable_new_munich_2013_show_highend_high_end_report_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_so.jpg

Franc Kuzma is one of the most iconic names in high-end audio. His work is known all over the world and his good name crossed the globe many times and won hearth of so many audiophiles and music lovers.

When everybody was jumping on the digital wagon Franc simply carried on with his pursue of analog perfection. The results are more then evident and last most awarded product from him is 4 Point tonearm. You can find it anywhere.

<< Read more >>

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/05/kuzma-at-munich-2013-high-end-audio-show.html

rrr

May 17, 2010
His stuff looks good and sounds good. I am very happy with my Kuzma TT.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill Hart here has the all out Kuzma and air bearing arm too.
Yeah, baby. Talked to Franc a few times- he always picks up the phone. I used to have the Kuzma Reference (with a Triplanar) before I bought the XL. I'm a fan.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
310061_647446181948258_1143788669_n.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I really like it in basic black.

I yearn for a VTA dial indicator like that built into my arm! :( You can adjust and set the VPI's VTA but reproducibility is another thing :(

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I would like to see a remote control VTA on one of today's super arms.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

not me.

my observation of cause and affect would say simplicity sounds better. any material or mechanical compromise is audible. even if it's just the arm board going up and down you would hear it. if i simply loosen one of the four screws holding the base to the arm board you can hear that.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
not me.

my observation of cause and affect would say simplicity sounds better. any material or mechanical compromise is audible. even if it's just the arm board going up and down you would hear it. if i simply loosen one of the four screws holding the base to the arm board you can hear that.

The adjustment would have to include a locking and unlocking mechanism.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I yearn for a VTA dial indicator like that built into my arm! :( You can adjust and set the VPI's VTA but reproducibility is another thing :(

Both the Air Line and 4Point arms have VTA adjustment built in complete with markings for repeatability, so the fixed height arm towers sans VTA adjustment option are perfectly adequate.

I will be setting up my customer's XL 4 with both arms in southern California soon, possibly timed so I can sneak away for a day to attend the Newport show.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

I spoke with Franc about that a while ago and he said that technically it can be done without compromise but only on his arm tower which has a built in manual VTA adjustment. More importantly, the new Stabi M will have a remote (with start/stop). Imagine: You can lower the stylus on the LP, slowly walk to the listening chair, sit back, relax, have a sip of whiskey, take a puff (of a cigar of course:)) and enjoy the majestic beginning of the Scheherazade...The motor has enough torque to propel the platter to 33 rpm in just one revolution.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The adjustment would have to include a locking and unlocking mechanism.

i agree in theory. but that mechanisim would need to be sufficiently solid. such a mechanical thing would be a serious challenge to be completely transparent sonically. and the benefit is marginal for record to record VTA adjustment....even maybe more a distraction to think about than the potential benefit.

not sure it would improve listening pleasure overall even if it could be done.

Last edited:

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I spoke with Franc about that a while ago and he said that technically it can be done without compromise but only on his arm tower which has a built in manual VTA adjustment. More importantly, the new Stabi M will have a remote (with start/stop). Imagine: You can lower the stylus on the LP, slowly walk to the listening chair, sit back, relax, have a sip of whiskey, take a puff (of a cigar of course:)) and enjoy the majestic beginning of the Scheherazade...The motor has enough torque to propel the platter to 33 rpm in just one revolution.

Yeah, the Stabi M is a beast. As for the Stabi XL arm towers with motorized VTA adjustment, yes, I am sure that would be feasible without compromise. Franc does things once because he gets it right he first time. Maybe a little boring because the press likes to write about "new and improved" stuff.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yeah, baby. Talked to Franc a few times- he always picks up the phone. I used to have the Kuzma Reference (with a Triplanar) before I bought the XL. I'm a fan.

Your mass loaded table is a perfect candidate for gaining the benefits from an active isolation table. The risk to find out is $160 in shipping (if you return it)...and if you like like, an additional $12K. :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
LEGEND IN PERPETCUM MOBILE

View attachment 9726

Franc Kuzma is one of the most iconic names in high-end audio. His work is known all over the world and his good name crossed the globe many times and won hearth of so many audiophiles and music lovers.

When everybody was jumping on the digital wagon Franc simply carried on with his pursue of analog perfection. The results are more then evident and last most awarded product from him is 4 Point tonearm. You can find it anywhere.

<< Read more >>

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/05/kuzma-at-munich-2013-high-end-audio-show.html

What can anyone say about this turntable he is photographed with? That's a massive armboard and it looks like passive isolation towers in a very rigid enclosure. Is this a new table design of his?

I've wondered who would be the first to design a turntable with a built in active isolation like what Rockitman just bought, the Table Stable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing