Carlos Montoya; ?The Incredible Carlos Montoya RCA Victor ?– LSP 2566

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I kind of had a spiritual moment last night and I'm using the word "spiritual" with a dual meaning. I have owned the subject LP for quite sometime. I bought the LP used from god knows where because I *knew* that Carolos Montoya was one of the world's great guitarists and the LP was an RCA Living Stereo. Even though I have owned the LP for years, I had never played it until last night. Partly because I really wasn't sure what condition the LP would be in when I played it and partly because I wasn't sure what to expect from Carlos Montoya.

So last night I head down to my stereo room for a listening session and for some reason, the LP "The Incredible Carlos Montoya" was in front of one of my stacks of LPs laying on the floor in front of the LP shelves. How it got there I have no idea. It certainly wasn't on my list of LPs to pull off of my shelf for listening to last night. But there it was, and Carlos was looking at me from the cover. Here is the picture of the cover:

carlos montoya.jpeg

So there I was sitting in my listening chair with Carlos Montoya staring at me from the cover of the "Incredible Carlos Montoya." I felt like I was being given a message that I had to play this LP. So, I get up and remove the LP from the jacket and see it is a black label RCA dog LP. The LP appears to be in good physical condition, but not great. I gave it a spin on my VPI 16.5 RCM and put it on the table and cue it up. So first of all, yes, this LP has more surface noise than I like (and I don't like any surface noise), but my-oh-my does this LP sound great. This is a live LP and it's basically Carlos Montoya playing Spanish/Flamenco guitar. The speed and beauty of Carlos' playing has to be heard to be believed. I can hear where Pete Townsend got some of his influence as a guitar player. You can easily hear any modern speed guitar player from any rock genre in the playing of Carlos Montoya. This guy is phenomenal. The actual recording is outstanding and when the audience claps, it's some of the most realistic clapping sounds I have ever heard from a live audience. It's real flesh on flesh and bone.

So maybe just maybe, when musicians pass on and their spirit still hears you playing music over a good stereo system, they want to hear their music over your system and want to see your reaction. Carlos would have been proud and maybe was proud. I have a new found interest in flamenco guitar playing and if anyone has examples of great flamenco guitar playing on LP, please let me know.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
is a NM copy worth 14 bucks inlc shipping? thats what i just paid for one off epay, thanks for the heads up. the D2D he did on crystal clear where sonic delights.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
is a NM copy worth 14 bucks inlc shipping? thats what i just paid for one off epay, thanks for the heads up. the D2D he did on crystal clear where sonic delights.

If your copy has silent surfaces I will gladly pay you $50 for your $14 purchase.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I kind of had a spiritual moment last night and I'm using the word "spiritual" with a dual meaning. I have owned the subject LP for quite sometime. I bought the LP used from god knows where because I *knew* that Carolos Montoya was one of the world's great guitarists and the LP was an RCA Living Stereo. Even though I have owned the LP for years, I had never played it until last night. Partly because I really wasn't sure what condition the LP would be in when I played it and partly because I wasn't sure what to expect from Carlos Montoya.

So last night I head down to my stereo room for a listening session and for some reason, the LP "The Incredible Carlos Montoya" was in front of one of my stacks of LPs laying on the floor in front of the LP shelves. How it got there I have no idea. It certainly wasn't on my list of LPs to pull off of my shelf for listening to last night. But there it was, and Carlos was looking at me from the cover. Here is the picture of the cover:

View attachment 9725

So there I was sitting in my listening chair with Carlos Montoya staring at me from the cover of the "Incredible Carlos Montoya." I felt like I was being given a message that I had to play this LP. So, I get up and remove the LP from the jacket and see it is a black label RCA dog LP. The LP appears to be in good physical condition, but not great. I gave it a spin on my VPI 16.5 RCM and put it on the table and cue it up. So first of all, yes, this LP has more surface noise than I like (and I don't like any surface noise), but my-oh-my does this LP sound great. This is a live LP and it's basically Carlos Montoya playing Spanish/Flamenco guitar. The speed and beauty of Carlos' playing has to be heard to be believed. I can hear where Pete Townsend got some of his influence as a guitar player. You can easily hear any modern speed guitar player from any rock genre in the playing of Carlos Montoya. This guy is phenomenal. The actual recording is outstanding and when the audience claps, it's some of the most realistic clapping sounds I have ever heard from a live audience. It's real flesh on flesh and bone.

So maybe just maybe, when musicians pass on and their spirit still hears you playing music over a good stereo system, they want to hear their music over your system and want to see your reaction. Carlos would have been proud and maybe was proud. I have a new found interest in flamenco guitar playing and if anyone has examples of great flamenco guitar playing on LP, please let me know.

My Spanish friend who heard Montoya play many time lives swears that the Crystal Clear recordings sound the closest to the real thing :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

View attachment 9725

BTW if you want to hear "speed," though it's more gypsy than flamenco, pick up Manitas de Plata on Connoisseur Society :) You'll swear his skin is smoking! BTW, Manitas never learned to read music.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
BTW if you want to hear "speed," though it's more gypsy than flamenco, pick up Manitas de Plata on Connoisseur Society :) You'll swear his skin is smoking! BTW, Manitas never learned to read music.
Fast yes, I have older lp's of his, but like most modern day gunslingers his playing leaves me cold.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Fast yes, I have older lp's of his, but like most modern day gunslingers his playing leaves me cold.

Guess you need the Spanish gene in you because Manitas makes their blood boil.

Also modern day? His recordings are around the same time as Montoya.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

That is one of the greatest posts I've read in a long time! Moments like you describe are what makes this hobby worth the effort and $$.

Lee

Thanks Lee! It came from my heart.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
just finished listening to the copy i bought off epay. MEP is spot on, it's a spectacular recording. Just when you didnt think it couldnt get better side two holds more sonic delights with percussive knuckle/finger wraps on the guitar body with dynamics that rival the direct to discs he did years later - its hard to believe this is a 51 year old recording! my copy is NM for a vintage white dog, more like VG+/VG++ by modern standards. One can only imagine what a 45 rpm pressing would sound like not to mention the tape itself.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Rob-I'm glad you like it. I would like to find a copy in better condition than mine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well I just picked up a copy on eBay. Must hear what all the fuss is about.

Get the two volume Crystal Clear D2D recordings of Montoya Christian. Then you'll know what all the fuss is about :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
After some search and wait, I have just listened to my recently arrived german pressing mint copy of the Carlos Montoya; ?The Incredible Carlos Montoya RCA Victor ?– LSP 2566 - surely after cleaning it using the Audiodesk RCM. Great music and recording. Thanks, Mark!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
After some search and wait, I have just listened to my recently arrived german pressing mint copy of the Carlos Montoya; ?The Incredible Carlos Montoya RCA Victor ?– LSP 2566 - surely after cleaning it using the Audiodesk RCM. Great music and recording. Thanks, Mark!

Francisco-I'm glad you found a mint copy and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing