5 New Albums To Exlpore

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
1) Vampire Weekend:
Vampires of The City
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/a...evolution-in-modern-vampires-of-the-city.html
3rd album that changes the formula from Paul Simon's Graceland soundalikes to something very interesting.

2) Patti Griffin:
American Kid
Folk rock gem that includes vocals from Robert Plant and a cast of stellar musicians.
Deluxe Edition has a 24/48 DVD-A included. Also available from HDTracks

3) Trixie Whitley
Fourth Corner
Daughter of space blues genius Chris Whitely. Her vocals on Daniel Lanois's Black Dub were
sublime, and here she goes to the next level.

4) Iron & Wine:
Ghost On Ghost
Sam Beam goes Donovan and Sgt Pepper on us. The great Brian Blade on drums! HDTracks download
available.

5) Bombino:
Nomad
Tuareg nomad plays Saharan blues and funk, produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys.

Upcoming release:
Laura Marling:
Once I Was An Eagle
Joni Mitchell and early Neil Young devotee.
Her previous two albums are stunning.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Andre --

Good list! The Iron & Wine is terrific and well recorded. Kind of a comeback after the last LP which for me was a bit of a disppointment.

Just got the new Deerhunter LP "Monomania" but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Really looking forward to the upcoming release by The National. I took the bait and signed up for a Feedbands subscription (https://feedbands.com/). 1st LP is in the mail...I'll report back soon.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre --

Good list! The Iron & Wine is terrific and well recorded. Kind of a comeback after the last LP which for me was a bit of a disppointment.

Just got the new Deerhunter LP "Monomania" but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Really looking forward to the upcoming release by The National. I took the bait and signed up for a Feedbands subscription (https://feedbands.com/). 1st LP is in the mail...I'll report back soon.

Wow, what a cool service! I think more members here should take advantage of that.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
New Eisley LP is due May 28th:

eisley.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Got my first LP from Feedbands...by an Austin band The Unknown Relatives.

First the bad news: Packing was a little underwhelming. Pressed on orange vinyl that is a bit noisy. Tight shrink wrap is associated with mild LP warping that to my ears was inaudible.
The good news: Really liked the LP on first spin. They include a background sheet on the band. You can return LPs up to 60 days.

I'll give this a go for 3 or 4 months and then reassess.
photo.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Got my first LP from Feedbands...by an Austin band The Unknown Relatives.

First the bad news: Packing was a little underwhelming. Pressed on orange vinyl that is a bit noisy. Tight shrink wrap is associated with mild LP warping that to my ears was inaudible.
The good news: Really liked the LP on first spin. They include a background sheet on the band. You can return LPs up to 60 days.

I'll give this a go for 3 or 4 months and then reassess.
View attachment 9736

Cool, thanks for report. I miss the old record clubs....Columbia House anyone???:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Here's a new one I've been enjoying.

View attachment 9737

Cool. Strange Liberation is my fave.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Great recommendations

Keep 'em coming!@

Rokia Traore's Beautiful Africa is a gem:

View attachment 9733

She and Laura Marling played tracks from these albums on the BBC's 'Later, with Jules Holland' show a couple of weeks ago. Stunning, the both of them. You get a real sense of LM's presence even from the TV, what a performer. RT, stunning vocal, not usually my cup of tea but I really got it and will pick up the album.

Here's a couple more I picked up on the basis of recent Jules Holland performances

Sickly sweet but beautiful and nicely recorded, think Krall etc

from a BBC review posted on Amazon

'From stuttering, held-together-with-Sellotape-and-elastic-bands intro Onetwos onward, Ejimiwe's sleepy delivery owes little to any other UK rhymers, however, despite an air of a bedsit Roots Manuva, eyebrow-cocked self-deprecation and all. It's a fact he notes himself on I Just Don't Know, declaring "Other MCs want to talk about crime / But that ain't me..." before an off-kilter chorus that catches you so off-guard that gleefully humming along is the only logical response.'

New album has just been released but I've not heard that yet

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Great recommendations

She and Laura Marling played tracks from these albums on the BBC's 'Later, with Jules Holland' show a couple of weeks ago. Stunning, the both of them. You get a real sense of LM's presence even from the TV, what a performer. RT, stunning vocal, not usually my cup of tea but I really got it and will pick up the album.

Here's a couple more I picked up on the basis of recent Jules Holland performances

Sickly sweet but beautiful and nicely recorded, think Krall etc

from a BBC review posted on Amazon

'From stuttering, held-together-with-Sellotape-and-elastic-bands intro Onetwos onward, Ejimiwe's sleepy delivery owes little to any other UK rhymers, however, despite an air of a bedsit Roots Manuva, eyebrow-cocked self-deprecation and all. It's a fact he notes himself on I Just Don't Know, declaring "Other MCs want to talk about crime / But that ain't me..." before an off-kilter chorus that catches you so off-guard that gleefully humming along is the only logical response.'

New album has just been released but I've not heard that yet

Hey thanks a bunch! I am devotee of the Jools Holland show and he is master musical curator.

Thanks for these additional recos. Will check them out later.

I hope Marling tours the US....would love to see her. Lisa Hannigan and her would be a sublime double bill.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This caught my attention since I have the album Mariama by Boubacar Traore. I looked it up and even though they are both from Mali, they are not related. I'll have to check out Beautiful Africa. I spent a couple months in Mali in 1991, but haven't been back since.

Oh my, Mali is a serious producer of musical talent. Traore, is seems, is a very common sur name.

BTW, and even better album by Rokia is Tchamantche from 2008.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/tchamantché-mw0000794422

I have a bunch of Boubacar CDs too. Of course, Salif Keita rules.

There are a bunch of others too.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Keeping up the Mali theme...I really like the Amadou and Miriam "Folila" released last year. Also very good sonics.

43_3634577_0_AmadouMariamFolila.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing