Classical music on Android. Can you read the title?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Compositions in case of classical are in general descriptive e.g. "Nonet for flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, bassoon, violin, viola, cello & double bass in F major, Op. 31".
Even media players on the PC often struggle to render this completely.
What happens if you use the small screen of your smart phone?

clip_image002_0001.jpg
Google Play Music: even in landscape you can’t read the title

clip_image002_0000.jpg
Music Player: In landscape, the titles are readable.

MusicPlayer2.jpg
If you select a composer, you get the infamous 1-1-1-1-1, totally useless

clip_image002_0004.jpg
Meridian Player: this one does it right. Perfect readability

clip_image002_0006.jpg
If you select a composer, you get the tracks grouped by albums

A little bit more: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Android/AndroidMediaPlayers.htm

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So what's the solution Vincent? Smaller fonts? That would requiring more zooming and such. Higher resolution phones and tablets may help with that.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
The solution is an interface designer who understands classical.
Almost all media player are designed with pop music in mind.
“She loves you” fits on any screen.
Looking at the Meridian player, it can be solved even on a modest size smart phone.

If you look for composers e.g. Holland/Dozier/Holland you expect hits=tracks.
In classical you expect compositions or at least albums ordered by the movements.

The best solution is not listening to classical ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The best solution is not listening to classical ;)
That has been mine. :D Indeed, I learned from your posts the requirements for classical music metadata. That said, i do recall my media player team worrying about special needs of classical music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing