Gryphon Audio Kalliope DAC

saidentary

Aug 8, 2022
Very nice. Thanks for the reply. Most of all I hope it doesn't have any glare! I've fought glare my whole digital hifi life. I'll feedback if I get it - the overseas dealer is very slow to respond and I'm wondering whether it really exists. If there's anyone out there in Europe inclined to sell theirs on the way up to Ethos or other, please message me.
To my ears, it doesn’t have any glare. I believe that it is highly resolving and very detailed without sounding analytical. But it must be kept in mind that these are subjective perceptions that apply to me, and may not necessarily indicate what your experience will be. When I read through the owners, manual or part of it anyway, it sounds like the way they voice their equipment is to make it as neutral as possible, and then do the final voicing by ear. As you probably already know, their products are sometimes described as sounding just slightly to the warm side of neutral.

Reactions: Scott W

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
To my ears, it doesn’t have any glare. I believe that it is highly resolving and very detailed without sounding analytical. But it must be kept in mind that these are subjective perceptions that apply to me, and may not necessarily indicate what your experience will be. When I read through the owners, manual or part of it anyway, it sounds like the way they voice their equipment is to make it as neutral as possible, and then do the final voicing by ear. As you probably already know, their products are sometimes described as sounding just slightly to the warm side of neutral.
Well, sadly the seller seems to have vanished. So I’ll just have to wait for another one to appear. Disappointed to say the least. But thanks for your very useful feedback.

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
That’s odd. Try this: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=kalliope
Looks like 3 can be found on hifishark.com
Thanks very much for this. It’s the one in Poland I’ve been trying to buy. Two of the ads are for the same unit. We agreed price and then the dealer just stopped comm’s - he told me the money should be paid into a private bank account as he was selling it on behalf of someone and I said I was uncomfortable with that and would prefer to pay into the dealer’s bank account. Then no reply for the last week. I’ve written again but they’ve previously taken days to reply. Feels off to me.

Last edited:

saidentary

Aug 8, 2022
I agree, that does not sound good. If the unit from the USA is legitimate, then that might be a consideration. I thought I read earlier in the thread that switching voltage is not a simple matter and may require returning the unit to the factory. You would have to decide for yourself, whether making such arrangements, if they are necessary, is worth it for you. That assumes that at least one of the units can be purchased legitimately.

Reactions: eagle33331

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
I agree, that does not sound good. If the unit from the USA is legitimate, then that might be a consideration. I thought I read earlier in the thread that switching voltage is not a simple matter and may require returning the unit to the factory. You would have to decide for yourself, whether making such arrangements, if they are necessary, is worth it for you. That assumes that at least one of the units can be purchased legitimately.
Yes, I think the USA unit is a non-starter from a voltage pov. Gryphon's FAQ's say voltage conversion isn't possible. Even if it was, I think it'd be uneconomical for me. Anyone going after the one in Poland, take care. Meantime, I've been tweaking my modest vinyl rig and it's never sounded better. There's always an upside :)

saidentary

Aug 8, 2022
Yes, I think the USA unit is a non-starter from a voltage pov. Gryphon's FAQ's say voltage conversion isn't possible. Even if it was, I think it'd be uneconomical for me. Anyone going after the one in Poland, take care. Meantime, I've been tweaking my modest vinyl rig and it's never sounded better. There's always an upside :)
Yes there is an upside. Enjoyable listening is the real goal anyway, at least in my opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing