Gryphon Audio Kalliope DAC

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had Gryphon Kalliope 4 days in my system. I'm not sure it was full broken up but it was the best DAC i ever heard with all type of inputs. USB is great but SPDIF are great too. I used it with AC cable Acrolink PC-9500.

Great to know...what else have you heard at this level? Most curious as to how it compares if you can offer any specific observations.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I had MSB Signature, MSB Diamond(top model), EMM Labs DAC-2X, dCS Vivaldi(only DAC), Esoteric K-01(Still have), MBL, Accustic Arts Tube DAC II mk2, Audio Aero La Fountaine, Accuphase 900, Calyx Femto, Jadis in 2 boxes, Metronome C-8(still have) and some cheaper DAC-s. For me in my system Gryphon Kalliope is nr 1, Metronome C-8 nr 2 , Esoteric K-01 as DAC and dCS Vivaldi nr 3, EMM Labs nr 4.

Reactions: saidentary

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had MSB Signature, MSB Diamond(top model), EMM Labs DAC-2X, dCS Vivaldi(only DAC), Esoteric K-01(Still have), MBL, Accustic Arts Tube DAC II mk2, Audio Aero La Fountaine, Calyx Femto, Jadis in 2 boxes, Metronome C-8(still have) and some cheaper DAC-s. For me in my system Gryphon Kalliope is nr 1, Metronome C-8 nr 2 , Esoteric K-01 as DAC/dCS Vivaldi nr 3, EMM Labs nr 4.

That's some serious firepower there! Great to know. I have heard the Vivaldi, Audio Aero La Source and Metronome C2A, so I have some idea of where the Kalliope ranks in the world...high to say the least. Given the fact I [probably] would also place the Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A above the Vivalid (imho only and not official shoot-out...just based on my experiences to date), I am most intrigued by the Kalliope now. I hope to hear it later this year along with Gryphon Pendragon...should be fun.

Are you getting the Kalliope?

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
In main system i use Metronome C-8 with NOS Tubes. For me it is second best DAC. It plays music, not only sounds. Shooting Gryphon vs Metronome C-8 was very equol, near the same.
Gryphon is more detailed, a little more resolution but only a little. Metronome is more eteric, more vivid, more friendly for listener…but it was like 95 vs 99. Not to much. I don't feel that i need to change Metronome for Kalliope. I even didn't give any info about salling C-8. If i had customer for C-8 than i would buy Kalliope but 99 vs 95 it is not to much. I don't need to do this move.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In main system i use Metronome C-8 with NOS Tubes. For me it is second best DAC. It plays music, not only sounds. Shooting Gryphon vs Metronome C-8 was very equol, near the same.
Gryphon is more detailed, a little more resolution but only a little. Metronome is more eteric, more vivid, more friendly for listener…but it was like 95 vs 99. Not to much. I don't feel that i need to change Metronome for Kalliope. I even didn't give any info about salling C-8. If i had customer for C-8 than i would buy Kalliope but 99 vs 95 it is not to much. I don't need to do this move.

Did you listen to the C8 using the Kalista Reference? Although the transport costs a fortune it is a night and day difference, as audiophiles say! I had the opportunity once to listen to a C2A in my system and as I could not afford the Kalista I did not buy it.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I tested Calypso Reference CD Transport with C-8. It's great. But C-8 sounds great too with file transports like Linn Akurate DS as transport(not as full player)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I tested Calypso Reference CD Transport with C-8. It's great. But C-8 sounds great too with file transports like Linn Akurate DS as transport(not as full player)

Thanks. Did you try the C8 using USB?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did you listen to the C8 using the Kalista Reference? Although the transport costs a fortune it is a night and day difference, as audiophiles say! I had the opportunity once to listen to a C2A in my system and as I could not afford the Kalista I did not buy it.

Agree...one of my favorite audio components of all time is the Kalista Ref

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpg

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Sound is fantastic!! I use it second month. The best DAC i ever had and heard….and i had most top DACs….Audio Aero La Fountain, MSB Diamond IV, MSB Signature IV, dCS Vivaldi, EMM Labs DAC 2-X, Esoteric K-01, Calyx Femto, Vitus Masterpiece DAC, Acoustic Arts Tube DAC II mk2, Accuphase DC-901, Metronome C-8, Ayon CD-5s…. but….Gryphon Kalliope in my system was the best, dCS Vivaldi and Esoteric K-01 was close and Metronome C-8 is very good too, very musical.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sound is fantastic!! I use it second month. The best DAC i ever had and heard….and i had most top DACs….Audio Aero La Fountain, MSB Diamond IV, MSB Signature IV, dCS Vivaldi, EMM Labs DAC 2-X, Esoteric K-01, Calyx Femto, Vitus Masterpiece DAC, Acoustic Arts Tube DAC II mk2, Accuphase DC-901, Metronome C-8, Ayon CD-5s…. but….Gryphon Kalliope in my system was the best, dCS Vivaldi and Esoteric K-01 was close and Metronome C-8 is very good too, very musical.

Congrats...that is great news. Of the ones you mention, I have heard the Audio Aero (La Source), Emm (CDSA), DCS Vivaldi, Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A...and agree that Vivaldi and Metronome are foremost in my mind. Clearly, the Gryphon is something very very serious...congrats. Look forward to hearing it someday.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Kalliope

Hi Srs.,

I am awaiting the arrival of Gryphon Kalliope, I think it should arrive by the end of the month. Once you receive it I'll post my impressions.

Currently, I used the Esoteric K-03.

Last year, in Munich were using a MacMini with Kalliope. What media server would be more appropriate to use (Aurender, Aria, CAPS V3, etc...)?

Nice regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi Srs.,

What media server would be more appropriate to use (Aurender, Aria, CAPS V3, etc...)?

Ricardo Nonato.

Congrats Ricardo! The Kalliope is a tremendous DAC, and as future proof as it gets. I'd suggest the Aurender X100S/L as partner. Also, Wadia will be releasing a new media server in Munich which might be worth waiting for.

/ Marcus

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Srs.,

I am awaiting the arrival of Gryphon Kalliope, I think it should arrive by the end of the month. Once you receive it I'll post my impressions.

Currently, I used the Esoteric K-03.

Last year, in Munich were using a MacMini with Kalliope. What media server would be more appropriate to use (Aurender, Aria, CAPS V3, etc...)?

Nice regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Congrats! You're an even bigger Gryphon fan than I am! Nice one! Please let us know when it arrives!

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Congrats Ricardo! The Kalliope is a tremendous DAC, and as future proof as it gets. I'd suggest the Aurender X100S/L as partner. Also, Wadia will be releasing a new media server in Munich which might be worth waiting for.

/ Marcus

Marcus,

thank's for your sugestion.

What's the model of the Wadia?

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Congrats! You're an even bigger Gryphon fan than I am! Nice one! Please let us know when it arrives!

LL21,

It's true... :)

When Kalliope arrive, I'll let you know.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
One more question: What external clock would make a good pair with Kalliope?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing