Junior's Journey

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have been on a whirlwind tour around the world launching the Genesis 2.2 Junior (G2Jr) over the past few months - first in January in Las Vegas during CES, and then in April in New York at the New York Audio Show, and in Malaysia in May with our distributor RAVE Systems. Next, we will be in Tokyo in June.... and there will be several more countries to be announced.

I was asked by several Genesis owners why I waited to 2 years after the initial launch of the Junior before doing this..... Well, Junior's had a long journey.

We have to start with the origins of this design - and it goes back to the original Genesis II.5 designed by Arnie Nudell, and even further back to Infinity IRS Gamma introduced in 1987. Just in the Genesis range, the DNA of the G2Jr comes from:

1) Genesis II.5 - released in 1994, it had 4 tweeters (3 front 1 rear), a 48-inch midrange ribbon and one 12-inch servo-controlled woofer and one 12-inch slave

2) Genesis 300 - released in 1997, with 4 tweeters (3 front 1 rear), a 48-inch midrange ribbon and two 8-inch servo-controlled woofers and four 8-inch slaves

3) Genesis 350 - released in 1999, with 4 tweeters (3 front 1 rear), a 48-inch midrange ribbon and two 8-inch servo-controlled woofers and two 8-inch slaves

4) Genesis 350SE - released in 2000, with 15 tweeters (12 front 3 rear), a 48-inch midrange ribbon and two 8-inch servo-controlled woofers and two 8-inch slaves

Released in 2011 and re-launched in 2013, the Genesis 2.2 Junior has 15 tweeters (12 front 3 rear), a 48-inch midrange ribbon and two 12-inch servo-controlled woofers.

Despite the popularity of the G350SE (and the previous generations), it took almost 10 years to deliver a follow-up, and there were many questions why. A couple of customers even went from the G350SE to the G5.3 (a much smaller speaker) and thought it was an upgrade. So the G2Jr was much anticipated. The design process was a journey and a story.

I had never been happy with the G-II.5, G300 or G350. There was both a tonal as well as rhythmic incoherence. And looking at the technology, it was easy to see why. The midrange was a line-source, and the high-frequencies was a point source. With a line-source, spl drops at 3dB per doubling of distance. With a point-source, spl drops at 6dB with every doubling of distance. This meant that if the midrange and tweeter was balanced at 1m, then at 2m the tweeter would be 3dB lower than the midrange, and at 4m the tweeter would be 6dB lower than the midrange. There would have been only one distance from the speaker where it would be balanced. The bass level is much easier to control since the servo-bass amplifier had adjustable bass gain - but again, with the bass being a point-source, change listening distance and the tonal balance again goes out of whack.

The G350SE was better as it has a line array of tweeters, and a line-source midrange ribbon, but still a challenge to set-up. It also lobed horizontally, so moving my head from side to side, I could hear the sound change.

Enter G2Jr. With the bigger brother the Genesis 2.2 four-tower version done, it would been easy to "down-size" the design, right? Noooo.........

Theoretically, the problem was to integrate the line-source midrange/tweeter with a point-source bass. However, the bass being on the floor, boundary effects turned it into more of a "doughnut source". The ripples of the soundwave across the floor caused significant coherence problems. Moreover, having the woofers hitched up to the midrange/tweeter wings caused problems with imaging and soundstage whenever there was significant amounts of bass. The pressure wave of the bass also caused problems with the light and delicate midrange ribbon.

It took a while, a lot of thinking and modelling, and building of prototypes, but much of these problems were solved over a couple of years. The solution, side firing woofers perpendicular to the midrange ribbons fixed a lot of the issues. Since we were talking about wavelengths much greater than the distance between the two woofers, the two woofers acted like a pseudo-single-source. The floor boundary issues were solved, and finally we were close enough that we showed a prototype at CES2011 that sounded pretty good.

However, pretty good wasn't good enough. As we started playing them in different rooms and in different systems, we started identifying potential areas of improvement. Along the way, I had re-designed the Genesis tweeter and this was released towards the end of 2011. Using this tweeter in Junior necessitated an improvement in the crossover, and this also resulted in improvements in the midrange. With improvements in the midrange, the bass needed to catch-up which resulted in enhancements to the power supply and servo-control. As these speakers would be used in smaller rooms, room loading and reflections necessitated independent control of each of the two 12-inch woofers.

To reduce any vibration in the 'wings' holding the midrange/tweeters, the woofer box was given its own suspension system - which required a revision to the suspension system of the whole speaker. The type of acrylic used and precision level of machining went through various upgrades and revisions as well.

With such huge substantial improvements, we decided to re-launch Junior at CES2013. However, since the configuration had essentially remained the same, we did not feel that it merited an increased version number.

The results, though, speak for themselves. Even if I do say so myself, coherence is quite exceptional. Even in a large room, the high-frequencies, midrange and bass are seamless. Bass control even in a small room is phenomenal - almost as if the speaker controlled the room instead of the other way around. The sweet-spot is huge, essentially covering the whole room. And most important to me, Junior is totally relaxed and effortless playing any and all kinds of music - from Frankie goes to Hollywood, to Holst: The Planets, to Holly Cole.

Don't just take my word for it - here are some snippets from various listeners at the past three launches:

Malaysia: http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/post-launch-report-relax-yet.html
New York: http://www.stereophile.com/content/genesis-advances-technologies
Las Vegas: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/01/19/ces-2013-yes-the-genesis-g2jr-will-fit-through-your-door/

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
And another one posted by Scot Hull for Absolute Sound:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/new-york-audio-show-part-2/

" I heard the entire first side of Touch by Yello (I am totally getting that LP). Bass. Low. Ominous. Threatening. Delicious. I came by this room six times throughout the weekend, mainly because of the great tunes Gary kept on the ‘table—and the simply outstanding sound he was getting in this room."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm really sad that I missed the G2jr launch in Malaysia Gary. I hope we can make it to Tokyo. From what I've gathered, you have one mighty fine loudspeaker and finally a reference that can fit in more homes than the G1 and G2 Sr. I hope to catch you one of these days, sooner rather than later I hope.

If you join MOD DAC in August, I promise to swing by SG and cheer you on as I will be there visiting family at that time. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-Any chance you will be at RMAF this year with those speakers?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, the Tokyo event is tentatively scheduled for 15th June in the Tokyo Forum. It will be great if you can make it. I heard about MOD DAC in August, but not sure if I'll be there.

I'm shooting for the AF2 launch at IASJ in November. No way I can get a visa in time for next month. What event is on June 15 again?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm shooting for the AF2 launch at IASJ in November. No way I can get a visa in time for next month. What event is on June 15 again?

That's the next launch of the G2Jr, again together with the AF1, in Tokyo. If you can't make it then, I'll see you in Tokyo in November.

The G2Jr shows off the dynamics and resolution of the AF1 very well - the Malaysian distributor sold 4 units at the launch event :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HUGE congratulations! Much deserved Gary!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's the next launch of the G2Jr, again together with the AF1, in Tokyo. If you can't make it then, I'll see you in Tokyo in November.

The G2Jr shows off the dynamics and resolution of the AF1 very well - the Malaysian distributor sold 4 units at the launch event :)

Wow! Talking about the trip paying for itself!!! Way to go!!!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
With the US July 4th holiday on Thursday, my family took the opportunity to take a short vacation to Tokyo. I took the opportunity to visit with my Japanese distributor, Stella Inc. We were taking the Genesis 2 Junior through its paces before adjourning for a great sushi dinner.

They were driven by the full Constellation Audio stack - here's the Centaur Monoblocks with the Genesis.

Jr's at Stella.jpg

Sharp eyed forum members will notice something different about these speakers.......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The preamplifier is the new Altair II with an outboard separate power supply.

Source.jpg

The source we played most was the Air Force One with the Perseus phono stage with external power supply. We also spun a few CDs with the CH Precision D1.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
With the US July 4th holiday on Thursday, my family took the opportunity to take a short vacation to Tokyo. I took the opportunity to visit with my Japanese distributor, Stella Inc. We were taking the Genesis 2 Junior through its paces before adjourning for a great sushi dinner.

They were driven by the full Constellation Audio stack - here's the Centaur Monoblocks with the Genesis.

View attachment 10557

Sharp eyed forum members will notice something different about these speakers.......

Are you using different ribbons?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ok. Please enlighten us then.:)

It's about 6 inches shorter. The tweeters start at the same level as the woofer box.

The G2Jr was designed so that someone 6 foot tall would have his ears within the horizontal radiation of the line-source. This would give everyone 6ft and below the same sonic experience even when standing. With the lower ceilings in Japan, and shorter stature, it was decided to make Junior almost 6 inches shorter for the Japanese market.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Makes sense Gary. It probably does not make much difference when seated. Looks like your using the same amount of drivers as before. Does the image sound like it's a little lower? What would you say the average ceiling height is in Japan?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Makes sense Gary. It probably does not make much difference when seated. Looks like your using the same amount of drivers as before. Does the image sound like it's a little lower? What would you say the average ceiling height is in Japan?

When you are seated or short, it does not make a difference in image height. You missed my loudspeaker set-up coaching session at PNWAS several years ago. With a whole new executive committee, it might be time to do another one so that you can set up the club speakers when I'm not around.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
When you are seated or short, it does not make a difference in image height. You missed my loudspeaker set-up coaching session at PNWAS several years ago. With a whole new executive committee, it might be time to do another one so that you can set up the club speakers when I'm not around.

It sure could not hurt. I have read your speaker setup instructions before but do not have it committed to memory. Lots of good info.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing