Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
With her mathematical mapping analyses of the room the use of drapes all the way around would be a better wall treatment which is what I finally did
What does the output product of the calculations look like? Some sort of graph? Table? Could we see a "plan A" and "plan B" comparison that reveals why one solution is better than another? I would think this would not compromise Dr. Schnitta's proprietary info, as we will not be able to see the inputs and operations that led to the result.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What does the output product of the calculations look like? Some sort of graph? Table? Could we see a "plan A" and "plan B" comparison that reveals why one solution is better than another? I would think this would not compromise Dr. Schnitta's proprietary info, as we will not be able to see the inputs and operations that led to the result.

sigh...I wish I could but it is proprietary as I asked her the same several weeks ago when I was getting my thoughts together to do the write up

one thing that also helped make our minds up was the way to adequately treat the front windows and using drapes all around made it an easy decision

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Hi Steve, remember I was probably one of your last guests to hear your fabulous system in the bay area before you packed them up. Hope to be able to visit you sometime to listen your great system with a full range of software available.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Well, you know I liked the last room in Danville as I helped set it up. I was honestly unsure that you would be able to achieve the same quality of listening in the newer room as it is somewhat smaller. But the Big Wilson's sounded great last night Steve. I think Bonny did an admirable job (at a reasonable price). I was intrigued by her tuning tubes in the rear of the room. I could have sworn they were a pair of bongs, but I couldn't figure out how to light them, so I guess they must really be tuning tubes. David Oistrach playing of Bruch's Scottish Fantasia on tape has now become one of my singularly great audio listening experiences of all time. The room is beautifully flat from 70 to 300 (no speaker suck out), rolls off gently above that, and just flat out sounds good with good integration of the JL subs. My skepticism was unfounded after all. Congratulations.

Steve Williams

Well, you know I liked the last room in Danville as I helped set it up. I was honestly unsure that you would be able to achieve the same quality of listening in the newer room as it is somewhat smaller. But the Big Wilson's sounded great last night Steve. I think Bonny did an admirable job (at a reasonable price). I was intrigued by her tuning tubes in the rear of the room. I could have sworn they were a pair of bongs, but I couldn't figure out how to light them, so I guess they must really be tuning tubes. David Oistrach playing of Bruch's Scottish Fantasia on tape has now become one of my singularly great audio listening experiences of all time. The room is beautifully flat from 70 to 300 (no speaker suck out), rolls off gently above that, and just flat out sounds good with good integration of the JL subs. My skepticism was unfounded after all. Congratulations.

I feel vindicated now ;)

Thanks Marty. All too brief yesterday but a great time nonetheless.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had the pleasure of meeting with Steve and his gracious wife yesterday at their wonderful home. Steve and his wife welcomed me in and Steve and I had a great listening session. Thank you, Steve.
Steve's new room is probably as good as it can get...a lovely dedicated listening room ( his laser light show is way cool). His system is a pleasure to listen to. The Big Lamm amps and his Lamm preamp are IMHO some of the very best sounding gear that I have heard. The Lamm amps are great at delineating the smallest detail and yet have plenty of heft to drive his big Wilson's. We listened to several CD's, of which a couple that fellow member Marty had compiled, sounded truly outstanding.
Once again, Steve, thank you for a memorable listening experience.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I had the pleasure of meeting with Steve and his gracious wife yesterday at their wonderful home. Steve and his wife welcomed me in and Steve and I had a great listening session. Thank you, Steve.
Steve's new room is probably as good as it can get...a lovely dedicated listening room ( his laser light show is way cool). His system is a pleasure to listen to. The Big Lamm amps and his Lamm preamp are IMHO some of the very best sounding gear that I have heard. The Lamm amps are great at delineating the smallest detail and yet have plenty of heft to drive his big Wilson's. We listened to several CD's, of which a couple that fellow member Marty had compiled, sounded truly outstanding.
Once again, Steve, thank you for a memorable listening experience.

Davey, my experience exactly. As a matter of fact, few systems at the show could match the organic ease and tone of Steve's system.

Steve is as as gracious a host as one could imagine.

Steve Williams

After The Show yesterday I had the opportunity to welcome back to my house for an extended listening session BruceB, Albert Porter and C1ferrari. What a fun evening with countless tunes being played after which we were blown away by a compilation tape that Bruce brought with him. Absolutely fantastic

My wife and Sam's (c1ferrari) were left out of the man cave until this photo was taken at the end

I think that I even got Albert to enjoy a Wilson speaker for once ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Doc, I can't believe how fit you've gotten from the last time I saw you. Good job man!

Steve Williams

Doc, I can't believe how fit you've gotten from the last time I saw you. Good job man!

wait til you see the photo of Albert VS and I. You'll have to show it to the President. Albert had interesting things to say about his visit to you and Jim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I think that I even got Albert to enjoy a Wilson speaker for once ;)

Albert has been a tube man for long and he now owns a 94 dB/W speaker with a friendly impedance - the Focal Grande Utopia EM - you have much more in common than people can imagine!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
wait til you see the photo of Albert VS and I. You'll have to show it to the President. Albert had interesting things to say about his visit to you and Jim

Jim and I have been hoping that you and your wife would take a vacation here so we can return your awesome hospitality Steve. Ron too. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Now that I'm back from the show and have collected my thoughts, I'd like to thank Steve and his wife for being such awesome hosts. We were treated to a short tour of the home and surroundings. Love the peaceful view!
Steve started by explaining all the forethought that went into the room. I saw great attention to detail with nothing left to want. The room has great acoustics and isolation that I'd be proud to call my own.
The X-2's were marvelous. The image size and height was perfect with none of the exaggerated sizes of solo instruments that plague large tower speakers.
Bass was plentiful, even without the subs. I don't think the system needs it. Bass was smooth and precise with no overhang.
We heard everything from rock to flamenco guitar. Boz Scaggs seemed to appear before us. Even though the speakers were close to the side walls, there was a spaciousness that reached beyond the boundary of the walls.

You have a world class room Steve. I can't wait to hear it again.... please??

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
After The Show yesterday I had the opportunity to welcome back to my house for an extended listening session BruceB, Albert Porter and C1ferrari. What a fun evening with countless tunes being played after which we were blown away by a compilation tape that Bruce brought with him. Absolutely fantastic

My wife and Sam's (c1ferrari) were left out of the man cave until this photo was taken at the end

I think that I even got Albert to enjoy a Wilson speaker for once ;)

Dear Steve,

What a delightful experience revelling in your room, system, and hospitality :D
The company was unparalleled. I may have an opportunity to hear the XLF and will endeavor to maintain an aural memory of your Wilsons.

Our spouses certainly seemed to get along famously, which augurs well for the future :cool:

Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing