Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
This sounds <grin> like a fantastic system and room...a great getaway, Steve :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Then what is this?

Yes, and also those behind the shelves. :) They look like 2"x4" studs, but it is difficult to know just from the photo.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Absolutely stunning Steve! I never realized the variables included in creating this space would be as extensive as you detailed. And I can see you left nothing to chance in building something truly spectacular. I am so very pleased for you and a big congratulations.

What was your reaction when Dr.Schnitta said she was going to cover all of the walls with drapery?

Either you missed my post or thought it was too weird a question to answer, but I am truly interested as it's a very different approach and not everyone would be open to such a method.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sorry John as I guess I missed it

As for the drapery suggestion it was mine and she added the Lumitex. Initially I had wanted to do drapes on the rear wall and the rear half of each side wall and then have a tufted fabric on the front side walls as well as the front walls. With her mathematical mapping analyses of the room the use of drapes all the way around would be a better wall treatment which is what I finally did

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yesterday I had the pleasure of hosting Andre Marc for a few hours of listening fun.

Nice picture guys! And nice to meet you Andre Marc!

I'm sure that just about everything sounds good in the new room, but are there any recordings you have that have stood out so far, with perhaps an additional "wow factor"?

Steve Williams

Andre brought a demo disk of compilations that was terrific. The first three cuts on this disk were by a well known African singer that were simply magnificent ( I will need him to tel you the singer and the track cuts

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yesterday I had the pleasure of hosting Andre Marc for a few hours of listening fun.

Steve, it was an absolute pleasure, and you are a very gracious host.

I will post my thoughts on the system a bit later. Major Fed Ex run to do today.

Teaser: a truly transcendent audio experience....suffice it to say the work Steve has done
is awe inspiring. More to come...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre brought a demo disk of compilations that was terrific. The first three cuts on this disk were by a well known African singer that were simply magnificent ( I will need him to tel you the singer and the track cuts

Steve, the singer was the legendary Salif Keita. Later I will list every track on the CD-R for reference...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Steve, the singer was the legendary Salif Keita. Later I will list every track on the CD-R for reference...

Nice! Love Salif Keita! You Sir have great taste!;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As for the drapery suggestion it was mine and she added the Lumitex. Initially I had wanted to do drapes on the rear wall and the rear half of each side wall and then have a tufted fabric on the front side walls as well as the front walls. With her mathematical mapping analyses of the room the use of drapes all the way around would be a better wall treatment which is what I finally did

Steve,
As far as I remember your drapes had a triple ply with Lumitex as the middle ply. Does the external drape have special acoustic properties, or is it a standard good quality decorative cloth?

Steve Williams

Steve,
As far as I remember your drapes had a triple ply with Lumitex as the middle ply. Does the external drape have special acoustic properties, or is it a standard good quality decorative cloth?

good question. Yes the Lumitex is between the outer drape and the rear drape liner. The drape itself is indeed a very heavy and dense fabric that has some properties that I knew Bonnie used in her mathematical mapping of the room

In fact each time something was added in the room she ran new calculations. Once after she ran a new calculation she told me that I had to move my equipment rack 6" down the side wall towards the door as she found from her analysis that measurements are better when the rack was in the new position. I can't tell you the number of times people have commented that my equipment rack is off center

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Do you have your home theater somewhere else in the house? If I remember you did have Wilson all around and a SIM/Stewart steup? Pretty amazing stuff so I hope they are installed in another room :)

My apologies if this already have been discussed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing