Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As I mentioned in my recent post on my visit to Philip O'Hanlon, I was also fortunate to drop by Steve's place a few miles away to hear the latest iteration of his superb system. The main changes since my last visit were the addition of a few Shunyata Sigma analog cables and the use of Stillpoints under both the Alexandrias and the 4 chassis of the Lamm ML-3 amplifier. As is typical of my visits, with Steve's permission of course, I like play with few things to see to see if we can perhaps improve what is already a great sounding system. In the limited amount of time I had, we decided to play with the Stillpoints under the Lamms. Knowledgable audiophiles have reported that minor differences in position can effect the audio quality of the system profoundly. And that is exactly what we found! Specially, moving the front Stillpoints located under the power supplies, forward about 3 inches inches resulted in a increasing the tautness of the bass in a way I would not have believed had I not heard it with my own ears. We then took away all the Stillpoints from under the amps themselves, and noticed that the sound lost some of its magic midrange (a "reach-out-and-touch-it quality") that was regained by replacing the Stillpoints to their original location. Changing the position of the Stillpoints slightly under the amps really did nothing in comparison to their original position. In summary, even though I was initially skeptic, I had to admit that the Stillpoints under the amps were a worthy addition to an already superb system. Unfortunately, I am still unconvinced of their merits under the big XLFs or other speakers such as Russ' Martin Logans, but that's an experiment that will likely have to wait for another opportunity to test. Steve, your system keeps getting better and better! I'm sure the Shunyata Sigma analog PCs on the preamp also contribute to that. And you've at least got me scratching my head now as to whether I should try out Stillpoints on my Spectral 400s. I always learn something when I visit! Thanks for letting me play.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Marty

Thanks and what fun on a few hours short notice. You might always learn something when you visit but I know that my system alway sounds a little better after your visits. Next time you're here we will take the still points off the X2's and respike the speakers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds like a good time...and, i am a big believer in Stillpoints & big Wilsons.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
OK Steve, I just read through this entire thread... And after all has been said have you yet tried the Shunyata signal cables? It is clear you love all things Shunyata, but last I see you tried a USB cable - I didn't know they had one.

More importantly, your room is amazing. As I am considering a remodel of my listening space your acoustic consultant will likely get a call. Who else did you consult with before this choice, and what about her firm made the difference?

Last year I had made contact with Rives Audio, and paid a deposit to begin some consultation regarding my room. Just my damn luck they closed their doors and took my deposit with them. To my knowledge some folks were happy with them, others it seems not so much. Perhaps in my favor not to work with them.

Steve Williams

Hi Bob

Thanks for the kind words

My room was a real challenge based on the size limitations with which I was faced. Most of my audiophile friends told me I was nuts to put the same speakers in my new room as I had in my older room. I was told that they would blow the back walls off the room. I was bummed as I like my speakers as well as my amp and preamp as I knew that a speaker change would require an amp and preamp change. I was determined to make it work especially after discussing my room with the people at Wilson Audio who said it would work fine. I was referred to an acoustician based in New York but who also works in California. She has a pHd in acoustics with a solid background in electrical engineering. She came west and spent some time with me and took many measurements after which she too said that not only will it work but it will sound terrific. I would have no reservations recommending her to anyone who wants to do a room treatment. She does computer room mapping in terms of where equipment is best placed. In fact after she visited once she took some measurements and told me to move my equipment rack 6 inches towards the rear wall as her mapping showed absence of room modes in the new position as compared to the old position. My room when measured is pretty darn flat across the spectrum except for a very gentle roll off in the top end.

PM me for information if you're interested

Steve Williams

From the Stillpoints Forum re Ultra 6's....

I remain fascinated with Stillpoints now having a total of 20 Ultra 5's under my speakers and amps. It had always ben my goal to use Ultra 5's under my pair of Fathom subs. However having read Bruce's description that the Ultra 6's were designed to be placed under components rather than speakers, I just ordered 6 Ultra 6's for under my amps and plan on moving the 6 ultra 5's currently there to under my JL Audio Fathom subs

My amp is a dual mono dual power supply 4 box unit so I presently have a total of 12 Ultra 5's under my amp. I ordered only 6 Ultra 6's (for now) as I want to see if truly there is a difference when placed under my amp. I seemed to get the best return on investment when I placed the Ultra 5's under each power supply so this is where I will try initially. If the sonic benefits derived are indeed what Bruce is advocating, I will buy another 6 Ultra 6's for under the amp itself. I have been told by Bruce that 3 Ultra 6's will outperform 4 Ultra 5's (food for thought)

The Ultra 6's with bases have been shipped and I will have these by next week

Steve Williams

The Ultra 6's are here and gentlemen "start your engines because they are truly that good A brief review

well the six Ultra6's with bases arrived yesterday and finally got them into my system. For now I have placed them under my left and right channel power supplies to my Lamm ML3 Signature amps for now but after hearing what i heard i can say unequivocally the Ultra 6's clearly outperform the Ultra 5's.My recommendation if interested is to put them under a heavy component because IMO that's where they will perform best. I expected the Ultra 6 to be bigger and heavier than the Ultra 5 but such was not the case

i have included a photo of the two side by side. The 5 is bigger and heavier but the 6 with the base is indeed the way to go with components and stick to the 5's for heavy speakers.I thought this would be the Law of Diminishing Returns but alas such was not the case.

Lately i have been using Philip O'Hanlon's demo disk 17 to demonstrate different qualities of the system as it is that good. I can say that when one track came on it almost spooked me out of my chair as it felt there was someone in the room with me. I am a mid range fanatic and i can say that this was as good i've ever heard in my system. The bass was also spectacular . I have still to try these in different spots under the power supplies but the resolution was something I hadn't expected just where they are now. There is no burn in required and i can promise that the effect is not subtle.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 6's are designed for under components and the 5's for speakers. I have been cursed by having a 4 box amplifier as i will indeed order 6 more for under the left and right channel amps

The other caveat is just as Allvinyl stated that with undulating bottoms of components it often takes a little longer to find where they fit best under the component. I found such to be the case.

After I get a handle on the sound of the 6's in different positions my plan is to move the Ultra 5's that I have freed up to under my pair of Fathom subs

IMG_3090.JPG

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The one on the right doesn't look like a Ultra 5 to me as it doesn't seem to have the beveled end.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The one on the right doesn't look like a Ultra 5 to me as it doesn't seem to have the beveled end.
The beveled end is face down .

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Ultra 6's are here and gentlemen "start your engines because they are truly that good A brief review

well the six Ultra6's with bases arrived yesterday and finally got them into my system. For now I have placed them under my left and right channel power supplies to my Lamm ML3 Signature amps for now but after hearing what i heard i can say unequivocally the Ultra 6's clearly outperform the Ultra 5's.My recommendation if interested is to put them under a heavy component because IMO that's where they will perform best. I expected the Ultra 6 to be bigger and heavier than the Ultra 5 but such was not the case

i have included a photo of the two side by side. The 5 is bigger and heavier but the 6 with the base is indeed the way to go with components and stick to the 5's for heavy speakers.I thought this would be the Law of Diminishing Returns but alas such was not the case.

Lately i have been using Philip O'Hanlon's demo disk 17 to demonstrate different qualities of the system as it is that good. I can say that when one track came on it almost spooked me out of my chair as it felt there was someone in the room with me. I am a mid range fanatic and i can say that this was as good i've ever heard in my system. The bass was also spectacular . I have still to try these in different spots under the power supplies but the resolution was something I hadn't expected just where they are now. There is no burn in required and i can promise that the effect is not subtle.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 6's are designed for under components and the 5's for speakers. I have been cursed by having a 4 box amplifier as i will indeed order 6 more for under the left and right channel amps

The other caveat is just as Allvinyl stated that with undulating bottoms of components it often takes a little longer to find where they fit best under the component. I found such to be the case.

After I get a handle on the sound of the 6's in different positions my plan is to move the Ultra 5's that I have freed up to under my pair of Fathom subs

View attachment 19558

There's going be a lot of unhappy U5 owners , after this brief review ! Thanks Steve great feedback .

Steve Williams

When used under speakers, does the Ultra 5's beveled end face up or down?

They were initially designed bevel down and the adaptor could only be used with the hole in the flat end. Now some people like the sound with the bevel up and then Stillpoints started coming as they do now with the adaptor hole on both sides of the ultra 5

i use them under my speakers with bevel side down

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
When used under components, should they also be bevel side down? I should know the answer to this since I have them under my amps, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When used under components, should they also be bevel side down? I should know the answer to this since I have them under my amps, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't!

Hi MadFloyd,

(In my system), I have tried several ways under my components...beveled side up vs down...as well 4 vs 3...as well as Ultra 5s with and without HRS Nimbus Couplers ...as well as Ultra 5s with and without the Base. In the end, in all "component cases" (ie, not speakers), I use BEVELED SIDE UP...underneath the component it is supporting. Otherwise, each configuration is a bit different:

- Power conditioner: 4 Ultra 5s, beveled side up (underneath the component it is supporting) with Base...and i use HRS Nimbus Couplers on top of the beveled side directly underneath the underside of the component.

-Transport PSU 4 Ultra 5s (with HRS, no Base).

- Gryphon amp, 4 Ultra 5s (no base, no HRS).

- Velodyne, 4 Ultra 5s (no base, no HRS)

- Transport, 3 Ultra 5s (no base, no HRS)

For X1s...it is obviously beveled side down because i screw my Ultra 5s in place of the diodes/spikes and my Ultra 5s have only one screw input.

hope that helps...

Steve Williams

Stillpoint Ultra 5's Under Fathom Subs

Will this madness ever end?

Today i had another epiphany that almost rendered me incontinent when I heard it. After finding yesterday that having Ultra 6's under the power supplies of my amplifier, i now had opportunity to place the 6 Ultra 5's under my Fathom subs.It was as if the heavens had parted and I was hearing bass like I've not heard in my system since i've been using SET amps (30wpc in my Lamm amps). Several weeks ago when Marty visited he commented that since he had listened last I had given up some in the 60-80 Hz range which he considers the leading wave and the part that you feel in these low frequencies. I have many demo disks from Marty but one in particular on bass. Listening to that now and compared to when we listened last there were several classical tracks that were as realistic as it gets. I have not heard such a bottom end presence since I owned ARC Ref 600 Mk lll mono amps.

There is no doubt to me that getting Stillpoints under my subs was as big an epiphany as when i placed Stillpoints under my Wilson X2's. IMO this confirms Bruce's post (oldaudiodude) here that the Ultra 5's are best under speakers and IMO THE heavier speaker the better.When I listened today to Marty's demo disk for base I heard (and felt) bottom end like I haven't in a long time.

So to all you guys who love 5's under your components, you haven't heard it all yet until you switch to 6's under your components and leave the 5's under your speakers but bevel up or bevel down is what sounds best

When will the madness end? It's a hot day here so I need to get another glass of Kool Aid ;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I think I'll wait for the Ultra 8s

Steve Williams

I think I'll wait for the Ultra 8s

Interesting cuz had it not been for you,LL21 and Rockitman I would not have been turned on to Stillpoints. I see you've given up on yours

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing