Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve,

You really did your homework looking for the best solution for the design of your new room, went through more than three months of building and are now rewarded with glorious sound. I really feel happy for you and congratulate you again on your new room, although I can not deny having a little of jalousie because I do not have a Dr. Bonnie Schnitta close to me ...

It was great to read your summary of the process of designing and building the room. It shows the complexity and the resources that were needed, and I am sure that this thread will become a star in WBF. I only hope that you have the patience to answer all the questions that will follow ...

Dr. Bonnie Schnitta says most of it when she comments "It felt like a room of dimensions greater than it was" and " The pressure wave interaction within the room was optimized so that the room “felt wonderful”. For me this is the most critical part of small room acoustics.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Late congrats from me also. It must have been tough waiting all that long to get your listening space back. I will have to stop by next time I am in LA. :)

Reactions: Hmart

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

You really did your homework looking for the best solution for the design of your new room, went through more than three months of building and are now rewarded with glorious sound. I really feel happy for you and congratulate you again on your new room, although I can not deny having a little of jalousie because I do not have a Dr. Bonnie Schnitta close to me ...

It was great to read your summary of the process of designing and building the room. It shows the complexity and the resources that were needed, and I am sure that this thread will become a star in WBF. I only hope that you have the patience to answer all the questions that will follow ...

Dr. Bonnie Schnitta says most of it when she comments "It felt like a room of dimensions greater than it was" and " The pressure wave interaction within the room was optimized so that the room “felt wonderful”. For me this is the most critical part of small room acoustics.

I think Frantz explanation was dead on The Lamm ML3's might not have been sufficient in the last room but as I said earlier, when I powered it on and listened for the first time, my first thought was , "OMG, I don't need subs"

Steve Williams

Late congrats from me also. It must have been tough waiting all that long to get your listening space back. I will have to stop by next time I am in LA. :)

I have never been without a system for the past 50 years, so to have it in crates in one of my garages for 8 months and reading about everyone else's listening experiences in their own rooms made me have separation anxiety

Steve Williams

Congratulations Steve. Nice, cozy, and neat. Great thing is, it sounds great. I can imagine the effort and strain you went through in moving houses and rebuilding and redesigning a listening room so much different from the previous one. I had done that and I might do that again if my plan materializes. Will definitely make your place a destination if I visit the San Diego area.

Phil I will never forget the day you visited me a few years ago in Feb IIRC when it was one of the coldest days in the year. It's not often you see guys from Manila dressed in winter clothes and shivering. Hopefully when you're in Southern California this will be a non issue. We're having Manila weather today with temps mid 90's

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
I did not have time to get back to this thread yesterday after I PM'd you as I got tied up watching the Wings/Ducks Game 6. I just wanted to follow up again on what a nicely detailed thread you created. At first glance you think the photographs tell the story but in fact they only touch at what went into the planning and execution.

Photos tend to make the room look smaller than it actually is. As I noted my room is about a foot narrower and 18" shallower than yours and my X2's seem to work nicely even though I only wish I could have gone to your lengths in designing a better environment. When you indicate that your Alexandria's are positioned 3 1/2' from the wall, is that from wall to the back of the speaker or wall to the front?

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
I'm sure the acoustics are superb. But how well does it isolate external noise? Those OC Housewives make quite the racket. :rolleyes:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Steve, if only all reviewers were to write so eloquently. I really enjoyed reading all about it as much as I did looking at the pictures. Very impressive work, I hope you get to enjoy every minute of it in health. And of course, as in most cases, it's our spouses that really make all this happen. God bless them... she deserves an extra big "kiss" - from Cartier :D - tomorrow

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Steve,

The new room looks wonderful. Wish I could make it to Newport for The SHOW a little over two weeks from now but things just won't allow the trip this time.

Dre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No HT this time around

Presently I have been using Nick's advice re the crossover and so far I am using 50 Hz but am thinking I might go down to 47.5 Hz

Steve,

Looks fantastic and reading all the details is very enlightening.

Are you still running the Wilsons full-range and talking about just the low-pass filter for the subs?

Steve Williams

Steve,

Looks fantastic and reading all the details is very enlightening.

Are you still running the Wilsons full-range and talking about just the low-pass filter for the subs?
Yes

Wilson's full range and crossing out at 50 hz but still playing wik the crossover.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Steve, thanks so much about posting your journey to a new listening room. You can't argue about the big Wilson's adjustability into differing environments...a big plus for these speakers!

I am surprised you feel the need for subs still...of course I've never tried subs with my former Maxx 3's and current Rockports (never really felt I need to do consider)...is it just giving you some bass support in the very bottom or helping all over...I know cleaner bass can provide more benefits in imaging cues and better mids even...like bass traps do more than just the bottom end...

Steve Williams

Steve, thanks so much about posting your journey to a new listening room. You can't argue about the big Wilson's adjustability into differing environments...a big plus for these speakers!

I am surprised you feel the need for subs still...of course I've never tried subs with my former Maxx 3's and current Rockports (never really felt I need to do consider)...is it just giving you some bass support in the very bottom or helping all over...I know cleaner bass can provide more benefits in imaging cues and better mids even...like bass traps do more than just the bottom end...

Hi John

If you recall in the beginning of my write up, the first time I powered the system on, my initial comment was "OMG, I don't need subs." Having said this however I do use them to reinforce the bottom end up to 50 Hz although as I said, I am still playing with the crossover. Looking at your room, it seems much larger than mine and I would suspect some distinct improvement with a pair of subs

Steve Williams

I agree Lee

What I have found is minimal increase of the master volume on each sub can produce significant changes in listening experience. If anything I have been ever so slightly turning the volume down on the subs

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Steve,

Thanks for a great writeup of your odyssey! It's good to read that it has worked out so well.

As a structural engineer myself, I found your story of particular interest. But I think you have a typo... I suspect that the new floor is designed for 150 pounds per square foot, not 1500. (The normal residential design is for 40 psf.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing