Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congratulations steve nice read/project and the room looks great, optimal speaker-room coupling is where a lot of the magic resides i reckon

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Lovely, absolutely lovely!

But where are all the records? ;)

Enjoy in good health.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Lovely, absolutely lovely!

But where are all the records? ;)

Enjoy in good health.

I figure that after I have Nick's tape preamp installed there might not be a need for vinyl

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
congrats Steve... you are DA MAN :cool: great effort.. and thanks for taking the time to share it here

I am all fired up to go to California now. I will go to the show first, then listen to your system after, I know going the other way around I will be screwed because the bar would be raised too high.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Absolutely stunning Steve! I never realized the variables included in creating this space would be as extensive as you detailed. And I can see you left nothing to chance in building something truly spectacular. I am so very pleased for you and a big congratulations.

What was your reaction when Dr.Schnitta said she was going to cover all of the walls with drapery?

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
One of the cleanest, most linear, listening spaces i have ever heard in my life.
One listen to steve's room is an education for an audiophile.

I might lean on you to convince my wife of the need to re-do the foundation on the house and the other structural changes needed to emulate your room ;)

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Hi Steve! Your room looks absolutely fantastic. I had been wondering about your new room for a while, but I just now found out about this thread. Very interesting on dividing a tall room, into two different floors! I bet the thought of doing that was a little intimidating at first! The curtains look really nice, and their acoustical properties you say they have sounds amazing. Maybe I missed it, but since I don't see your screen in the photos, are doing HT in another room?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Congrats Steve! I know how hard it is to be away from a great system for any length of time...
Where are the subs in the picture? Aren't you using 2 JL Audio Fathom?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What an interesting and enthusiastic project Steve, I am sure you enjoyed all its stages and progress made - based on your comments and the expert minds you had to deploy it I am sure that all goals were achieved!.

Will you have another room for movies? I know you enjoy HT as well...
i tend to agree with you, no vinyl is needed for now.
At what freq are you cutting the Wilsons and/or the subs now?

I was going to end this with the word Enjoy!, but knowing you, it is a sure thing! :)

Steve Williams

Hi

Congrats Steve! I know how hard it is to be away from a great system for any length of time...
Where are the subs in the picture? Aren't you using 2 JL Audio Fathom?

they are there

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0005_zps564ab091.jpg.html] [/URL]

Steve Williams

Hi Steve! Your room looks absolutely fantastic. I had been wondering about your new room for a while, but I just now found out about this thread. Very interesting on dividing a tall room, into two different floors! I bet the thought of doing that was a little intimidating at first! The curtains look really nice, and their acoustical properties you say they have sounds amazing. Maybe I missed it, but since I don't see your screen in the photos, are doing HT in another room?

What an interesting and enthusiastic project Steve, I am sure you enjoyed all its stages and progress made - based on your comments and the expert minds you had to deploy it I am sure that all goals were achieved!.

Will you have another room for movies? I know you enjoy HT as well...
i tend to agree with you, no vinyl is needed for now.
At what freq are you cutting the Wilsons and/or the subs now?

I was going to end this with the word Enjoy!, but knowing you, it is a sure thing! :)

No HT this time around

Presently I have been using Nick's advice re the crossover and so far I am using 50 Hz but am thinking I might go down to 47.5 Hz

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So when will you order Sashas or Alexia's for the HT? Hehehehehehe!

Steve Williams

One of the cleanest, most linear, listening spaces i have ever heard in my life.
One listen to steve's room is an education for an audiophile.

I might lean on you to convince my wife of the need to re-do the foundation on the house and the other structural changes needed to emulate your room ;)

Nick

My system did not snap into position until you told me to toe out the speakers 1/2" and then move them in 1". A big thanks once again. Looking forward to seeing you in June

BTW, to all.......

Nick came to my house to evaluate the bypass switch on my Studer in preparation for his building me his famous tape head preamp. I was proud of how my stock electronics sounded and was anxious to play some tape for him. I did and after which Nick politely smiled and said to me, "that's about 40% of what you'll hear until I add his head preamp"

Can't wait Nick

Reactions: Hmart

Steve Williams

BTW, I forgot to mention that the carpet which I installed was not only commercial grade and rated for noise reduction but so also was a huge help in my positioning the speakers. If you look at the pattern of the carpet you will see it consists of parallel lines each ~1/4" apart. This was a huge benefit in getting the position of each speaker totally symmetric with that on the other side

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0063_zpscd634c3e.jpg.html] [/URL]

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Steve

A few things before my visit to the West Coast ( always pushing it back but this time ... :D) I lament the departure of the Gotham .... As you know I dont subscribe to the room overload theory .. But Two Fathom is not shabby either ...

I know it sound like heresy in audiophile circles but you may find real advantages in increasing the crossover frequency .. I would listen carefully at 40, 50 Hz, up to 70 Hz taking notes and measurements.

I also do like the drapery all over approach ... Dr Geddes recommend in his room designs ...

Love the room and without even been in it prefer it to the other room... which IMO was too big for the amps (not the speakers)

I am coming soon to the West coast and am debating (hope she doesn't read this) if it will be with fiancee i-e vacation-style, scenic, shopping , sight-seeing, etc ... or without ..... i-e music/audiophile/ blast with overdue visits to some awesome systems/people

... Meanwhile enjoy your system ..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve,

Congrats once again. You continue to define (and redefine) What's Best. I was amazed and thankful for all the work you detailed in the design of your audio room...because i expect to refer back to it when we have the opportunity to do the same someday!!!

Enjoy!

Steve Williams

Steve

A few things before my visit to the West Coast ( always pushing it back but this time ... :D) I lament the departure of the Gotham .... As you know I dont subscribe to the room overload theory .. But Two Fathom is not shabby either ...

I know it sound like heresy in audiophile circles but you may find real advantages in increasing the crossover frequency .. I would listen carefully at 40, 50 Hz, up to 70 Hz taking notes and measurements.

I also do like the drapery all over approach ... Dr Geddes recommend in his room designs ...

Love the room and without even been in it prefer it to the other room... which IMO was too big for the amps (not the speakers)

I am coming soon to the West coast and am debating (hope she doesn't read this) if it will be with fiancee i-e vacation-style, scenic, shopping , sight-seeing, etc ... or without ..... i-e music/audiophile/ blast with overdue visits to some awesome systems/people

... Meanwhile enjoy your system ..

Frantz my good friend, you know that you and your SO are always welcome at Hotel Williams

Those Gotham subs in my present room would loosen most of the plaster

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

I am thrilled that you did not listen to me last December. I would not have guessed that your speakers would work in such a small volume. Glad you proved me wrong. Aesthetically it is beautiful and makes me embarrassed about how functional my system looks. Glad I did not submit any pictures.

Congratulations on a deeply thought out project. I hope to hear it in the the not too distant future.

Steve Williams

Steve,

I am thrilled that you did not listen to me last December. I would not have guessed that your speakers would work in such a small volume. Glad you proved me wrong. Aesthetically it is beautiful and makes me embarrassed about how functional my system looks. Glad I did not submit any pictures.

Congratulations on a deeply thought out project. I hope to hear it in the the not too distant future.

Marty is going to be here for The Show . Why don't you come out as well. Plenty of room

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing