Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's the one! Steve - have you heard Shindo? I am told it shares something with Doshi...I've never heard Doshi but I have heard Shindo, so just wondering.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have but not to the extent I would be able to compare the two

All I can say is that the way Nick presents the music is so palpable, precise and real that one should give this unit an audition if you're in the market for a tubed tape head preamp

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Steve,
We had a fun day. Glad you are enjoying the tape unit. Your room and system is an extremely rare synergistic combination and I think that most audio gear would have a fair shot at sounding its best in that environment. I have said before that one of the perks of doing this is get to hear some pretty amazing systems, the tape with Masakela and Joni was as you described it, spooky. the total lack of any artificiality was what i will always remember about that sound.
You are correct re the loading, the options are there in case you move to a different transport with a slightly higher impedance pb head.
I come away honored that my gear has a part in making the sound we heard because it is a truly memorable sound. In my opinion, different amps and pre's may change the flavor a little, but i dont think it can be bettered.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Great Steve...

I bet it sounds wonderful :)
So, can you easily switch between the stock Studer electronics and the Doshi?

I'm curious about the cabling...did Nick furnish an XLR<-->XLR cable or RCA<-->XLR cable :confused:
If the latter, can you elaborate? I thought an RCA was a 1-conductor shielded cable and an XLR was a 2-conductor shielded cable.

I'm coming up North to collect an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2 preamp purchased at THE Show, recently. I'd love to drop by :b

Congrats :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Great Steve...

I bet it sounds wonderful :)
So, can you easily switch between the stock Studer electronics and the Doshi?

I'm curious about the cabling...did Nick furnish an XLR<-->XLR cable or RCA<-->XLR cable :confused:
If the latter, can you elaborate? I thought an RCA was a 1-conductor shielded cable and an XLR was a 2-conductor shielded cable.

I'm coming up North to collect an Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk. 3.2 preamp purchased at THE Show, recently. I'd love to drop by :b

Congrats :D

Sam

you are always welcome but you have to bring Sonny to keep Cathy company

Yes Nick made me a fully balanced cable with RCA male at one end (comes out of my Studer) to balanced XLR at the other. If Nick is still reading he can tell you how it is done

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Re- RCA cables and differential inputs. Most RCA chassis mount jacks currently made are of the isolated type. This means that the outer connection is not connected to chassis/ground. it could be used as the -ve side of a balanced connection if necessary. Its not "theoretically" ideal since there is no shielding at the junction but in practice, it seldom has detrimental effects. The Tape pre has differential inputs and it pays dividends with respect to signal to noise if you can get a differential signal all the way from the head to the preamp.

The way the connections would work is that the tip of the rca connector is wired to pin 2 of the XLR, the ring is wired to pin 3 and the screen of the cable is wired to pin 1 and left floating at the RCA end.

HTH

Nick

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, congrats on the new member of the family. Upon listening to the UHA deck at Newport and now your description of the sound of tape at your place, I'm getting a real itch...darnnit.
BTW, I have heard Hugh Masakela play Stimela ( the coal train) live in South Africa. I can tell you that it was pretty memorable, the bass drums he used that night shook the foundation of the building!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam

you are always welcome but you have to bring Sonny to keep Cathy company

Yes Nick made me a fully balanced cable with RCA male at one end (comes out of my Studer) to balanced XLR at the other. If Nick is still reading he can tell you how it is done

Oh, that would be excellent -- we must also have dinner :)
I'll pm.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So How Did It Sound?

I must say in all honesty that I wasn't prepared for what I heard. First off what I didn't hear was noise. This was my biggest fear with a tubed tape head preamp. It was dead quietI can honestly say that this was as real as I have ever heard and as I said, wondering how to get that sound from sources other than tape

Thanks Steve... I couldn't agree more. Nick's unit puts all the others to shame. My next purchase will probably be his phono stage. High-end at its best!!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Re- RCA cables and differential inputs. Most RCA chassis mount jacks currently made are of the isolated type. This means that the outer connection is not connected to chassis/ground. it could be used as the -ve side of a balanced connection if necessary. Its not "theoretically" ideal since there is no shielding at the junction but in practice, it seldom has detrimental effects. The Tape pre has differential inputs and it pays dividends with respect to signal to noise if you can get a differential signal all the way from the head to the preamp.

The way the connections would work is that the tip of the rca connector is wired to pin 2 of the XLR, the ring is wired to pin 3 and the screen of the cable is wired to pin 1 and left floating at the RCA end.

HTH

Nick

Yes, thank you, Nick.
It resembles wiring diagram 17, here, I believe: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Great update to your thread Steve. I was with Larry yesterday and he mentioned that Nick was out installing your tape unit. It is a very nice piece and I am sure your are as happy as you sound. Nick is a great guy.

I have heard Nick's gear with XLF's and they would work nicely with your X2's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nick is a great guy. I have heard Nick's gear with XLF's and they would work nicely with your X2's.

Wow...that musta been quite cool. not that listening at home for you is anything but great too...! Nice system! I have nearly heard that system, except the digital was a Metronome with an ARC Ref 5SE into the D'Agostino's driving the big Wilsons.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I'm sure they would but my Lamms aren't going anywhere. I would really like to hear Nicks however in my system.

Just a different flavor of ice cream. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. We all have reasons for owning different components.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm sure they would but my Lamms aren't going anywhere. I would really like to hear Nicks however in my system.

Just a different flavor of ice cream. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. We all have reasons for owning different components.

I was just going to say the same thing...I suspect the Doshis will present music somewhat differently and have its own very enticing way of them...if they are indeed anything like Shindo, it will have its own spellbinding moments...but that wont make it 'better' just captivating in its own way...and after that, it's all personal as always...

Do please let us know, Steve, how they compare. Its pretty rare to hear from someone with your level of system (incl room) be able to compare such equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing