Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I still buy them - rip them once and put them in storage. Still lots of good 44/16 content which cannot be bought downloadable in full resolution.

Same here on the disks -- so much stuff not avail any other way. And been happily using J River for years too.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Doc, congrats on moving to server land!

for LP- just avoid unipivot arms which are a hassle. A nice, fixed bearing arm like a Brinkmann or AMG and its really pretty set and forget. The record collection is honestly the harder part, but I don't focus on Music Direct audiophile approved 45s and stuff. I enjoy finding inexpensive, original recordings that sound really good. The nice thing is you listen to entire albums, not "cuts." Its really a totally different experience and I enjoy having both mediums.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have posted here many times before that one of the best things in being involved in this hobby for the past 50 years has not only been the love for music and great sound but so also the cultivation of great friendship. Recently myself and two of my very good friends and audiophile buddies took a weekend trip to the Pacific Northwest for a weekend of listening bliss which I have previously documented here in this blog.A greater time could not have been had. Well along come two members here from down under who are on an around the world tour to hear sound systems and to attend the Munich show.They started off in Sydney, flew to Auckland where they hopped on a Swiss Air flight to LA. After a lengthy flight they arrived in Los Angeles on Tuesday. One of these members I have communicated with on many forums over the years and exchanged information with is Nevillekapadia. I have never met Neville in person until yesterday. Neville was accompanied by a very close friend and audiophile. Zarir is a physician in Sydney, trained as an anesthetist as well as an intensivist. I must say that two finer people would be very difficult to find. It was a privilege to have them spend the past two days with me.

Yesterday we were to have gone to Philip O'Hanlon's house to hear his Vivid G1's but Philip had to visit the East Coast on Tuesday through Friday and then he will be leaving for the Munich show. Nonetheless we still had a great day as we took a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to La Jolla where we visited Alexandre and Fabio's new store Alma Music and Audio. We spent the entire afternoon there listening to six great rooms as well as fine music. Much to my surprise I had a chance to audition the Auralic Aries which is receiving some pretty rave reviews on the internet. I must say I was not disappointed. I was also able to hear the new MSB Analog DAC with Analog Power Base and Premium QUAD USB2 and was also very impressed.

Last night after dinner we returned to my house to listen for a few hours. We had fun starting with Redbook, a bunch of demo disks and then some hire files and DSD, 2X DSD files and some tape. Today we spent the entire day listening to everything and finishing with all tape as well as listening to some music that Neville and Zarir brought with them including music from Australia.

I must say that a more knowledgeable pair of audiophiles I have yet to meet. They knew every musician, every album as well as just about every piece of high end gear. It was fun in between the music to see photos of gear they have seen in Japan and Munich and that which they own now. Their systems are very unique and well thought out

Neville and Zarir are now on their way back to Los Angeles and tomorrow they are off to the Pacific Northwest to do what the Tres Amigos did 2 weeks ago. They will visit Bruce on Friday afternoon and Mike Lavigne on Saturday, On Sunday they leave for Munich and the audio show after which they are off to visit a bunch of audiophile friends in Japan and then finally back to Sydney.

Thanks to you guys for a wonderful two days

Bruce and Mike, you are going to have a blast

IMG_3220.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thanks Steve.

sounds like you and the guys had a great time in SoCal.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting Neville and Zarir and doing some fun listening and learning. what a trip they are on!

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Well what a start to an around the world trip meeting and making more audiophile friends.

This was a trip that had been in planning for close to 3-4 years back. And now it is finally happening.

We can’t believe that we are here in South Cal., till we entered the doors of Steve William’s music room.

Before I start on the enjoyment part, a BIG thank you to Steve and his better half for sharing their time with us, and the hospitality that they showed was immense. Our heart full gratitude.

So what does traveling 7500 miles to spin disc and reels in Steve Williams music den feel like? It was well worth every mile of travel. What a fabulous set up and musical journey Steve shared with us, starting with Alma Music in La Jolla.

It was great to meet with Fabio and his team at Alma Music as we went through sound rooms one by one. An afternoon of sheer delight hearing YG's, Evolution Acoustics, Dartzeel Integrated, Avantgarde, Audiopax, Kronos, Audionet, Dan’Dagostino beautiful integrated and a great choice of vinyl music available as well in the showroom. Highly recommend a visit to those staying in the neighborhood.

But spending the rest of the time in Steve’s man cave well over these last 2 days was epic. The attention to detail in his room was exemplary and reflects the passion he has. I would not know where to start with the audio performance…was it the bass grip of the ML-3’s on the Wilson’s, the sound staging and the disappearance of such large speakers, or was it the top end…..and the voices that you thought was the pinnacle of the system? I just found the complete range coherent and seamless through the full listening spectrum and forgot all about the hardware; just enjoying the musical performance.

What a treat the demo discs, high rez files and most of all the tapes, which were in another league.

Though I’m not so sure about us being so knowledgeable on audio as Oneobgyn mentions. Though he certainly is. Though our travels further on will add to the experience and learning. And that's what this hobby is all about- the sharing of our experiences to have fun and learn.

Thank you Cathy, Steve and Alma Music (Fabio and team) for making these last 2 days of jet lag disappear in to oblivion.

Tomorrow we awake at 4.00am to catch a flight and add close to another 1000 miles on to this epic adventure. We land in Seattle to spend time and make acquaintances with other audio legends that we have communicated only before by email. We look forward to meeting with both Mike and Bruce.

So it’s onwards and upwards as the DUo (Down Under two) Amigos head North-West.

Nev

Zarir

Member Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I can only reiterate Neville's description of the first two days of our long planned dream audio trip. Cathy and Steve's generosity and hospitality has really made the start of this holiday exceed our expectations. Whilst the audio side of things has been spectacular, meeting and starting to get to know Steve and Cathy, and meeting Fabio and his knowledgeable team was equally enjoyable.
We are looking forward to getting to know Bruce and Mike and to get a chance to listen to their amazing systems. The Three Amigos reports suggest that we are in for a treat.

So thank you very much Steve and Cathy and I will hold you to your promise of visiting us in Sydney thereby giving us the opportunity of showing you some Aussie hospitality.

Zarir

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Nev , great to hear that things are going smooth and that the experience, both personal and all things audio have exceeded expectations . Look forward to meeting you at MOC and getting further insights . Enjoy Seattle , matey !

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Neville
I am truly envious
Safe journey home
Cheers
Pradeep

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Too bad you are not stopping on the east coast.

Little known fact - Neville and I went to the same school (although he was there a few years before me :D )

Well what a start to an around the world trip meeting and making more audiophile friends.

This was a trip that had been in planning for close to 3-4 years back. And now it is finally happening.

We can’t believe that we are here in South Cal., till we entered the doors of Steve William’s music room.

Before I start on the enjoyment part, a BIG thank you to Steve and his better half for sharing their time with us, and the hospitality that they showed was immense. Our heart full gratitude.

So what does traveling 7500 miles to spin disc and reels in Steve Williams music den feel like? It was well worth every mile of travel. What a fabulous set up and musical journey Steve shared with us, starting with Alma Music in La Jolla.

It was great to meet with Fabio and his team at Alma Music as we went through sound rooms one by one. An afternoon of sheer delight hearing YG's, Evolution Acoustics, Dartzeel Integrated, Avantgarde, Audiopax, Kronos, Audionet, Dan’Dagostino beautiful integrated and a great choice of vinyl music available as well in the showroom. Highly recommend a visit to those staying in the neighborhood.

But spending the rest of the time in Steve’s man cave well over these last 2 days was epic. The attention to detail in his room was exemplary and reflects the passion he has. I would not know where to start with the audio performance…was it the bass grip of the ML-3’s on the Wilson’s, the sound staging and the disappearance of such large speakers, or was it the top end…..and the voices that you thought was the pinnacle of the system? I just found the complete range coherent and seamless through the full listening spectrum and forgot all about the hardware; just enjoying the musical performance.

What a treat the demo discs, high rez files and most of all the tapes, which were in another league.

Though I’m not so sure about us being so knowledgeable on audio as Oneobgyn mentions. Though he certainly is. Though our travels further on will add to the experience and learning. And that's what this hobby is all about- the sharing of our experiences to have fun and learn.

Thank you Cathy, Steve and Alma Music (Fabio and team) for making these last 2 days of jet lag disappear in to oblivion.

Tomorrow we awake at 4.00am to catch a flight and add close to another 1000 miles on to this epic adventure. We land in Seattle to spend time and make acquaintances with other audio legends that we have communicated only before by email. We look forward to meeting with both Mike and Bruce.

So it’s onwards and upwards as the DUo (Down Under two) Amigos head North-West.

Nev

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve, Neville & Zarir,

Thank you so much for stopping by!
I hope you guys all had a good time there... We try to have different systems, with different results, so people will always find something to their taste. And now that you've heard the MMthrees with the baby darTZeel, you'll have a good baseline for what must be an incredible experience with Mike's MMseven and the big monoblocs! :)

thanks again,
alexandre

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Too bad you are not stopping on the east coast.

Little known fact - Neville and I went to the same school (although he was there a few years before me :D )
Wow...another Champion

Sam Lord

Jun 17, 2013
For me however the more important issue was Peter's comment (on which I agree) that horizontal movement of a speaker is not a good thing.i wish I could tell you why i had that magic moment with Ultra 5's under my speakers and subs but just an OK moment under my amps
Movement in the horizontal plane cannot possibly be good for speakers, it's the same problem as if using casters. Perhaps the weight of your speakers affords no such movement in your case, but in general, an unwanted attribute for speakers.

All right folks, let's put this matter of horizontal movement of speakers to bed. First recognize some facts:

A) All matter on heaven and earth moves.

B) All matter is constrained in an infinite web of forces which cause forced damped oscillating motion in constantly changing directions.

C) If your speakers are well fixed to a strong heavy floor with spikes or bolts or glue, they will have horizontal motion that increases with the height of the cabinet, according to the flexing of the floor, the behavior of the contacts between cabinets and the floor, and the flexing of the cabinets.

The result of C) in a good system *without* bearings like Stillpoints can be modeled by the cabinets attached to the floor with very stiff springs. When a woofer moves in response to an input signal, it moves mostly horizontally. So basically the cabinet rocks on its stiff springs in a damped pendular oscillation until it rests. Another transducer, let's say a midrange dome, does the same thing. And external air pressure from ambient music does the same thing. Result? Three oscillating pendular motions of the cabinet: the thing is like a Reagan doll waving in the window of a moving car. The excursions are too small to see but they damn well matter at audio frequencies.

Instead of springs under the cabinets, imagine you had them on essentially perfect (ultra low friction) ball bearings. The vertical component of the pendular motion is unchanged. But the horizontal component, which has by far the greatest energy, is no longer a spring because it isn't constrained, it travels freely. So now the cabinet accelerates horizontally as the SUM of the horizontal forces, it no longer oscillates!

Well that's great for sound, but what if your cabinet gradually rolls across the room? You fix that by making the bearing surface slightly concave, so the cabinet *returns* to its lowest-energy, bottom position, its ground state. But...that means you've simply created another kind of spring beneath the cabinet! It is, but now it has a period outside the audio range, let's say 0.2Hz. Now that doesn't make a perfect base for your cabinet, but the best possible one that is affordable.

To recap:

1) Horizontal cabinet movement *is* desirable, provided it is 1) not oscillating near audio frequencies; 2) not pendular; 3) in a spring system with a very low resonant frequency; and 4) constrained to a reasonable distance of travel.

2) Effective bearing systems enable the speaker to create far less distortion from cabinet movement than previous methods.

3) High mass is still a proven and predictable method of reducing loudspeaker distortion. Also the stiffness and damping of the floor and of the cabinet still matter, but still.....points.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Met another WBF member yesterday for a few hours of listening. Hi-FiGuy stopped by and brought several hundred CD's with him as we reminisced through the 70's and 80's.

Mike knows his music and really enlightened me yesterday with a few tidbits.

He has chronicled it here....He promises to be back. Hopefully he will bring his music with him as it had me locked in a place in time. Thanks Mike for a fun few hours. Next time will be longer

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Had-a-blast!!!&p=317512&viewfull=1#post317512

IMG_3251.jpg

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Steve, a very good and better IMHO software than JRiver is Roon, it runs on both Mac & Win and integrates Tidal etc, some friends put me onto it and it sounds superb. The library management is the best yet and it suggests other music you may like.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Steve, a very good and better IMHO software than JRiver is Roon, it runs on both Mac & Win and integrates Tidal etc, some friends put me onto it and it sounds superb. The library management is the best yet and it suggests other music you may like.

I haven't used Roon, but does it support DSD or do you have to convert to PCM? Just curious. I have played around with JRiver and found it to have a very confusing interface/setup.

Sam Lord

Jun 17, 2013
The general consensus at Computer Audiophile Forums is that JRMC is the most versatile and stable platform but that HQPlayer has superior sonics. That is my software and I use a SotM miniserver to feed my usb audio input of my DAC (an Oppo 105D player). I import files and build playlists with JRMC but resample and stream in HQP with a basic computer, a Mac Mini. I urge others to try this.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

The general consensus at Computer Audiophile Forums is that JRMC is the most versatile and stable platform but that HQPlayer has superior sonics. That is my software and I use a SotM miniserver to feed my usb audio input of my DAC (an Oppo 105D player). I import files and build playlists with JRMC but stream with a basic computer, a Mac Mini. I urge others to try this.

Thanks all. I appreciate the short advertorials here on my system blog but for now I am eternally happy with J River

crion

Oct 29, 2014
If you are starting fresh I believe Roon has the shortest get-up-and-play of the ones mentioned. It really gets you fast to the actual music listening with nice rich meta-data which is updated on-the-fly in the background.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing