VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Hi Steve:
You wrote this back in February.
I've had the Stillpoints for a year now. In my experience, they don't work the way you suggested. In fact, they seem to be akin to the heat-seeking missile that seeks out the target rather than flies a straight path.
The Stillpoints will change the sound noticeably (as you might have found out by now, since it's 6 months later) as you move them around. The fullness of timbre shifts, as well as what I call, in woodwinds, the 'dancing' effect (I think Jon Valin calls it 'action'). When the flutes are playing a lighthearted tune (as in 'Peter and The Wolf') they seem to shimmer before you eyes when the Stillpoints are positioned optimally.
When the Stillpoints are in less than optimal placement, you get the notes without the 'playfulness' (or micro dynamic inflection, if that is a more commonly understood word. However, it's more than just micro dynamics. Optimally placed, the bodies of the flutes, the air going thru them and the metal of the flute is also heard. Not optimally placed? The inflections, but not the 'whole picture.'
And this is true whether it's the Ultra Mini Risers of the SS feet. Haven't needed the Ultras and they're overkill in my very good, but not SOTA system. The placement is crucial and there's no denying it or getting around it. That's why some people on Audiogon made the misguided statement that they just 'tighten up the bass.' If that was all they did, I doubt Stillpoint would've developed a whole new technology for these isolation feet. The R&D would've been impractical for just 'better bass.'

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve:
You wrote this back in February.
I've had the Stillpoints for a year now. In my experience, they don't work the way you suggested. In fact, they seem to be akin to the heat-seeking missile that seeks out the target rather than flies a straight path.
The Stillpoints will change the sound noticeably (as you might have found out by now, since it's 6 months later) as you move them around. The fullness of timbre shifts, as well as what I call, in woodwinds, the 'dancing' effect (I think Jon Valin calls it 'action'). When the flutes are playing a lighthearted tune (as in 'Peter and The Wolf') they seem to shimmer before you eyes when the Stillpoints are positioned optimally.
When the Stillpoints are in less than optimal placement, you get the notes without the 'playfulness' (or micro dynamic inflection, if that is a more commonly understood word. However, it's more than just micro dynamics. Optimally placed, the bodies of the flutes, the air going thru them and the metal of the flute is also heard. Not optimally placed? The inflections, but not the 'whole picture.'
And this is true whether it's the Ultra Mini Risers of the SS feet. Haven't needed the Ultras and they're overkill in my very good, but not SOTA system. The placement is crucial and there's no denying it or getting around it. That's why some people on Audiogon made the misguided statement that they just 'tighten up the bass.' If that was all they did, I doubt Stillpoint would've developed a whole new technology for these isolation feet. The R&D would've been impractical for just 'better bass.'

I appreciate your comments and certainly that is the opinion of the Stillpoints gurus here. I do intend on moving things around once I am a little more mobile with my leg

Steve Williams

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I had the opportunity to spend a lovely evening at Chez Williams over the weekend. I am in the process of building a new dedicated listening room, and I am attempting to hear some of the gear that I am considering for my new room. I had the opportunity to hear Steve's system in Northern California about 4 years ago. It was certainly an experience that left an impression. I had to hear it again before deciding how to move forward with my own system. First of all, Steve was a wonderful host, opening his home to me late on Friday night. In addition, a nice Pinot focuses the senses and elevates the listening experience! thanks for that! Well, as you might expect, the system didn't disappoint. It must be amongst the best systems in existence. We began with some familiar recordings. I was impressed with the transparency combined, with that magical SET midrange. As many on this forum are aware, Steve's new room is much smaller that his previous room. However, the depth of the soundstage was quite impressive. What was also impressive was the force and tunefulness of the bass. I couldn't imagine one could get such large speakers to perform that well in a room of that size. Kudos to his talented acoustician. As we moved from CD to Sacd the performance continued to escalate. We ended the session with the Studer tape deck. There are no words for that. Everyone should experience what a properly outfitted tape deck can do. Transparency, delicacy, musicality and most of all dynamic range to die for. I have a few other systems to audition before I decide what will be most practical for me, but Steve's system sets the standard for comparison. Thanks again for the experience.

Brian

Steve Williams

I had the privilege last night to host Philip O'Hanlon at my house for several hours. Most of you know Philip from his company "on a Higher note"

www.onahighernote.com

I am sure that if any of you have attended any trade shows you will know Philip. IMO he consistently has one of the best rooms at any show and his choice of music is so eclectic that he had me hooked for hours last night

Philip however got me going on a lengthy session of computer audio

Philip brought with a Luxman DSD DAC along with one of hie Hard Drives with over 4 TB stored. This apparently was but a small portion of Philip's library as he told me he has over 12 TB of music on his portable hard drives

Last night we listened mostly to DSD as well as some PCM Hi Rez files

I must admit, I was smitten

This will become my next project after I order the USB-X for my Playback Designs and after that it will be easy and I am looking forward to it

I also had opportunity to hear Shunyata's new USB cable which was inserted from the hard drive to the computer. I truly enjoyed my evening last night with Philip and the music to which we listened was breath taking

Steve Williams

I have also committed this past year to recable my system to all Shunyata cables. For the price, the craftsmanship and sound heard IMO rivals the very best of any cables I have heard at 10X the price

Presently I have 8 new Sigma PC's. They come packaged each in their own individual carrying case

Three Sigma HC (two for my amps and another for my Triton)

Four Sigma Analog (two for my preamp and one for my Studer R2R and another for my Doshi tape head preamp)

One Sigma Digital for my Playback Designs

I know the issue of cables, burn-in etc has been receiving a lot of debate here but count me in the camp that believes there is a difference. Here finally are some measurements from the Shunyata website

http://shunyata.com/technical-feat/78-dtcd/288-dtcd

As I get these each introduced to my system I will try to post my thoughts about these new PC's

I can say that the difference between the Sigma Digital and its Alpha predecessor is apparent right out of the box. It is presently burning in. After that cable I will then add the Sigma HC to my amps

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had the privilege last night to host Philip O'Hanlon at my house for several hours. Most of you know Philip from his company "on a Higher note"

www.onahighernote.com

I am sure that if any of you have attended any trade shows you will know Philip. IMO he consistently has one of the best rooms at any show and his choice of music is so eclectic that he had me hooked for hours last night

Philip brought with a Luxman DSD DAC along with one of hie Hard Drives with over 4 TB stored. This apparently was but a small portion of Philip's library as he told me he has over 12 TB of music on his portable hard drives

This will become my next project after I order the USB-X for my Playback Designs and after that it will be easy and I am looking forward to it

I also had opportunity to hear Shunyata's new USB cable which was inserted from the hard drive to the computer. I truly enjoyed my evening last night with Philip and the music to which we listened was breath taking

Steve,
Can you give us some details about the recordings you went through and the DAC model? Long ago I owned a Luxman receiver having a tube and we could see the redish filament through the panel - nice sounding and stilll playing at a friend system.

Steve Williams

This is what Philip brought. He told me it is their entry level DAC for $5K. There are 2 other models but this one was fine

I don't have the USB-X designed for the playback Designs so what we did was to run his hard drive via a Shunyata USB cable into his computer. From the Luxman we ran a pair of interconnects into my Lamm preamp so we weren't using my Playback Designs DAC but rather his Luxman

http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=27

The sound was exquisite

Philip also played for me countless needle drops that he has done and my mouth was open and I was salivating it was so good

Philip has an interesting way of recording his needle drops and all of his digital files that he makes

He uses a Grimm A-D for ripping the files into DSD and from there he runs it into a Tascam which can record up to 2X DSD

His files had me wanting more as the evening wound down

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Philip also played for me countless needle drops that he has done and my mouth was open and I was salivating it was so good

That's exactly how I decided to go back to vinyl in 2010 . Once I heard great needle drops...I wanted more...like the real thing....dropping my own needle on the vinyl. ;)

Steve Williams

Well after 3 days of additional burn in I finally replaced my Shunyata Alpha Digital PC with the newly released Sigma Digital. All I can say is wow. This new cable is like an Alpha Digital on steroids. Not really much change in size of the soundstage but with the ?TRON™ digital circuits the noise (which BTW I didn't know I had) now seems virtually non existent. The instruments seem to be isolated in space with a great deal of air and ease around the instruments and vocals etc. I am finding that there is more of a sharpness to the sound which I never noticed before with the Alpha Digital (which I must say is a wonderful cable for the price). I wonder if this too is as a result of the digital filters. The bottom end on this Sigma Digital has reduced some bloating such that the strings on the bass and the bass guitar now seem much more distinct rather than them running together and leading to some bloating. I take it that this is also related to the digital ?TRON™ circuits.

In the photo shown above you can see the difference in size between the two cables which is significant

I had the privilege of hearing the prototype to this new Sigma Digital and there were according to some listeners some issues with the top end being not as airy or open as the Alpha Digital. I can say that having heard this new Sigma Digital I can not hear any of those issues previously reported as both top and bottom ends are open and rich with music and air. This cable is certainly a keeper.

From the Shunyata website....

?TRON™ SIGMA Series of power cords are the most technically advanced products of their kind, incorporating multiple technologies that showcase Shunyata Research’s pioneering work in the area of Distributed Power Conditioning. SIGMA power cords work far more efficiently than traditional power conditioners because they intercept noise at its very source -- the component power supply, and prevent it from being shared with other electronics in the system via CCI (Component-to-Component Interference).

DEFINING FEATURE
The defining feature of each SIGMA power cord are Shunyata’s highest performing ?TRON™ circuits, which measurably reduce noise at the first point of electrical contact with component power supplies. No power conditioner in the world can capture noise at the first stage of a component's electrical circuit and isolate that noise from other components. This ultra-efficient means of noise reduction virtually eliminates CCI (Component-to-Component Interference) and protect electronics in the system from being affected by commonly shared noise.

Essentially, SIGMA Series power cords function as independent, high-current power conditioners. All three SIGMA power cord models cancel the specific frequencies of noise associated with the class of components they are designed for -- Digital, Analog or High-Current.

SIGMA model power cords are entirely non-reactive. They present no interference or impedance challenge to electronic power supplies (Unlike most power conditioners). What this means is, SIGMA power cords are complementary to all electronic power supplies within their named classification and allow all components to perform at peak efficiency both in terms of current delivery and lowered noise.

EXCLUSIVE PARTS AND CONSTRUCTION
SIGMA DIGITAL and ANALOG model power cords are all constructed using Shunyata’s finest VTX wire formed into massive gauge conductors, making them compatible with high-current electronics, but the SIGMA HC is uniquely designed for the world’s most demanding amps and power conditioners with an even larger 6 gauge conductor complement and unique internal construction. Each SIGMA power cord is designed and tested for optimum delivery of DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery).

FEATURES

A Power Conditioner in a Cable!
The ?TRON™ SIGMA contains a hybrid ?TRON™ circuit that measurably reduces power noise generated by the component itself. Essentially it is a power cable with a power conditioner built in, but without any of the negatives normally associated with active power conditioning boxes.

3 Different Versions
- SIGMA DIGITAL
- SIGMA ANALOG
- SIGMA HIGH-CURRENT

?TRON™ CONDUCTORS?
- Certified CDA-101 Copper?
- VTX™ (virtual tube) Conductors
- SHUNYATA CopperCONN™ CONNECTORS
- Pure Tellurium Copper Base Metal
- Nickel plated for corrosion protection
- Superior Contact Grip
- Alpha Cryogenic Processed

EXCLUSIVE PARTS AND CONSTRUCTION
SIGMA DIGITAL and ANALOG model power cords are all constructed using Shunyata’s finest VTX wire formed into massive gauge conductors, making them compatible with high-current electronics, but the SIGMA HC is uniquely designed for the world’s most demanding amps and power conditioners with an even larger 6 gauge conductor complement and unique internal construction. Each SIGMA power cord is designed and tested for optimum delivery of DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery).

Suggested Applications
High-Current Amplifiers
High-Current capable power conditioners (HYDRA TRITON)
High-Performance Projectors
Recording Panels (Neve 88 and others)
High-Current Subwoofers (Wilson’s Thors Hammer etc)

SPECS
STANDARD LENGTH
- 6.0 feet (1.75M)

COLOR
- Black

CABLE DIAMETER
- 1.32 inches (33.53 mm)

NOISE REDUCTION TECHNOLOGY
- Hybrid ?TRON™ Digital, Analog & HC Filters

ELECTRICAL CONDUCTORS
- Shunyata ?TRON™
- 8 AWG VTX™ Conductors
- 6 AWG VTX™ Conductors (High-Current)

And if you compare these specs to the Alpha Digital you can see that there is a difference in diameter (1.32 inches vs 1.05" and that the sigma digital is an 8AWG VTX whereas the Alpha Digital is 10 AWG Coincident Concentric Conductors.

I know that recently there have been ongoing debates regarding the efficacy of burn in with respect to cables but two observations at my end

1. Out of the box and before burn in the Sigma Digital clearly bested the Alpha Digital however it wasn't until after an additional 3 days of burn in that I believe I can now hear the true potential of the Sigma Digital

2. After 3 days of burn in the reduction in noise became so much more evident and I am certain that it is these digital filters that are removing noise from the system and until you hear the change you won't know what you're missing

Definitely a cable to audition however bear in mind that the Alpha Digital is remarkable for its price.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Today I will begin to burn in my new Sigma HC pair of PC's for my amp and will report on my findings in the next 3-4 days

Steve, thanks for posting. I have all Anaconda Zitrons...sounds like I am going to have to try a few of the Sigma's !

Steve Williams

John you won't be sorry

I am replacing my Anaconda C19 from wall to Triton with the Sigma HC. I will have completely switched to all Shunyata PC's with the new Sigma cables I have

I've also noticed that Anaconda, Python and Cobra are archived on the Shunyata site

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are you onteresting in finding a new home for your older PC's?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

www.onahighernote.com

http://www.thehighernote.com/blog/2...on-that-i-should-make-you-an-offer/#more-2534

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing