Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Amazing pic of the sunset...wow !

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
My good friend Philip O'Hanlon after our listening session.

View attachment 18604

Steve I was wondering if you used the Typhons with the MM during your listening sessions. If so, did you try removing the Typhons to see if they affect the sound of the MMs? Have you noticed the MM sound changing as they settle or warm up?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Caelin

For me the Typhons have become something impossible for me to live without and as a result I have not removed them from the system

When we turned the amps on and warmed them up for a while before listening, my initial thoughts were just so so however as Philip played each track o his late Demo Disk 17 we could hear the changes in the sound.I kept commenting to Philip that as we played each track there seemed to be more body and fullness to the sound. The change in dynamics was staggering. As a result I left the amp on for 24 hours before listening again and it was night and day different.

I really believe that even though there seems to be some controversy about the amp people need to just have a listen. If anyone lives near me and want to come by for a listen, just message me. Not sure how long I will have the Mola Mola amp but Philip promised to bring the preamp over on loan this week. I have gotten word from Lamm that my amp is fixed and hopefully will ship out early this week

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin

For me the Typhons have become something impossible for me to live without and as a result I have not removed them from the system

When we turned the amps on and warmed them up for a while before listening, my initial thoughts were just so so however as Philip played each track o his late Demo Disk 17 we could hear the changes in the sound.I kept commenting to Philip that as we played each track there seemed to be more body and fullness to the sound. The change in dynamics was staggering. As a result I left the amp on for 24 hours before listening again and it was night and day different.

I really believe that even though there seems to be some controversy about the amp people need to just have a listen. If anyone lives near me and want to come by for a listen, just message me. Not sure how long I will have the Mola Mola amp but Philip promised to bring the preamp over on loan this week. I have gotten word from Lamm that my amp is fixed and hopefully will ship out early this week
Philip has sent me a set of amps and preamp which should arrive tomorrow. I have the similarly priced Constellation to compare it with along with my favorite tube amp in addition to the class D Rowland's. The preamp has the optional phone stage which I will be using with the superb Kronos / ZYX phono setup.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Philip has sent me a set of amps and preamp which should arrive tomorrow. I have the similarly priced Constellation to compare it with along with my favorite tube amp in addition to the class D Rowland's. The preamp has the optional phone stage which I will be using with the superb Kronos / ZYX phono setup.

Look forward to your comments...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

+2

Steve Williams

Spoke to Vladimir today. He told me my amp is operational. Nothing wrong with either the right channel amp or the right channel power supply but rather 2 tubes that gave up the ghost. He is checking on all my tubes today in order to return complete sets of tubes and the amp will ship out tomorrow and I will have it back on Monday or Tuesday.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Spoke to Vladimir today. He told me my amp is operational. Nothing wrong with either the right channel amp or the right channel power supply but rather 2 tubes that gave up the ghost. He is checking on all my tubes today in order to return complete sets of tubes and the amp will ship out tomorrow and I will have it back on Monday or Tuesday.

GREAT news Steve! I am sure you are breathing a sigh of relief.

Was there any way to diagnose a tube problem at home without having go through the whole process
of packing it up and sending back to Brooklyn? Seems like a massive headache and expense just to find out
it was tubes.

BTW I just packed a 100lb Conrad Johnson amp and it took me a day to recover!

Steve Williams

Fortunately my son was able to help me crate them up and get them downstairs to be picked up

I knew that "a" tube had blow but didn't realize it was more than one. I wish I could have Andre. I t would have saved a huge back and forth shipping expense

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Fortunately my son was able to help me crate them up and get them downstairs to be picked up

I knew that "a" tube had blow but didn't realize it was more than one. I wish I could have Andre. I t would have saved a huge back and forth shipping expense

Gotcha..but I am just a bit unclear why you could not just replace the blown tubes...in other words, are tubes kicking it
user diagnosable?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I actually replaced the tube that I saw went out but when I did I kept blowing a fuse and I couldn't trouble shoot it any further because the fuse kept blowing

With the high cost of shipping those monsters you might want to invest in a good rebuilt tube tester.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I actually replaced the tube that I saw went out but when I did I kept blowing a fuse and I couldn't trouble shoot it any further because the fuse kept blowing

Ah..that explains it..got it now. Yes, the fuse is a protection scheme. Now I understand what you ran into..

ARC amps also take fuse out if a tube blows.

Steve Williams

With the high cost of shipping those monsters you might want to invest in a good rebuilt tube tester.

now if you had one lying around ;)

I must admit in the all the years that I have had tubes in my system this was the first time I couldn't trouble shoot it and had to send it back for evaluation.

hifikontoen

Dec 19, 2011
[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0146_zps1e64fc12.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0147_zps773d0393.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0150_zps8c5592db.jpg.html] [/URL]
It seems like you have done a good job regarding acoustics.
The smart way to avoid acoustic problems having large speakers in a not so big room.
Respect.

Steve Williams

The Boys Are Back In Town.......

Well after a few weeks of waiting, my right channel and its power supply returned yesterday and it was sure good to see the glow of tubes. Expensive turn around as the only thing wrong was a few blown tubes.Nonetheless the amp was given a thorough evaluation by Vladimir and no other issues.

A huge shout out is necessary to my good friend Philip O'Hanlon who made certain I was not without music by kindly bringing over a pair of Mola Mola amps which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a fun experience Philip and although I didn't get to hear the Mola Mola preamp together in the system I will be getting a chance to hear them at Philip's house when I return the amps.

I've had the system on all day yesterday and today before finally listening and it hasn't skipped a beat.

IMG_2931.JPG

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Great news Steve. I'm happy that you have your system up and running again! I never asked you if you listen with the grilles off all of the time?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing