Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I hope it is okay to pass along a Critical Mass Systems review just published on Positive-Feedback.com. The rack and amp stand combination David evaluated is the same combination Steve has in his room but, on a smaller scale. Like Steve, the front end and amps are on a Black Diamond MK III. The balance of the signal processing components are on Black Platinum MK III and the power conditioner on a Black Sapphire MK III. I wonder if Steve feels David’s results bear similarity to his although the components are quite different…………

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-...iii-rack-system-and-black-diamond-amp-stands/

Terrific review Joe

I couldn't have said it any better

IMO the only way to know how these racks truly perform is to hear the difference in sound that they make in one's one system. TBH the overall effect is simply stunning as to how quiet my room has become.
Now you have me wondering about a MAXXUM filter under my turntable rather than this measly Black Diamond filter I use ;)

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Terrific review Joe

I couldn't have said it any better

IMO the only way to know how these racks truly perform is to hear the difference in sound that they make in one's one system. TBH the overall effect is simply stunning as to how quiet my room has become.
Now you have me wondering about a MAXXUM filter under my turntable rather than this measly Black Diamond filter I use ;)

LOL.....Ouch.......LOL...........Ouch.

Steve Williams

Finally this MasterBuilt USB cable has shown up for evaluation Ultra. It will be an easy test to compare my existing USB cable with this MB USB Ultra. First impression is that it is built like a tank. I started a thread here which will be used to discuss my evaluation of this cable as compared to my existent USB cable

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5282-1.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

Steve Williams

The past 2 weeks have been very educational and I must say a lot of fun for me as it has rekindled a lot of enjoyment in the digital side of my system. I have always enjoyed my Playback Designs MPS-5 notwithstanding the knowledge that it is not a current DAC. However with the addition of Andreas USB X, then the USB X-ll and now the USB X-lll box I have been able to play DSD128 and now DSD 256 files. The USB Xlll box also has a separate power supply which makes me wonder if a lot of the improvements I have been hearing has been have been as a result of this separate power supply.

Also I had been perusing the PD website to be certain I had the current firmware I was interested to see that Andreas was offering an upgrade to the MPS-5 as described here....

This hardware upgrade replaces most of the clock generator circuitry on the digital board of the MPS-5 and MPD-5 products with new technology that offers much improved clock jitter performance. When combined with a software upgrade to version 027 or newer it will offer dramatic improvements in sonic performance, sound stage accuracy, low and high frequency consistency. Please inquire with your dealer for more details and how to get your product updated.

I sent my unit back to Andreas and within a week it was back in my hands with not only that upgrade but also all new caps. Spent 4 days running signal through the unit but what I'm hearing is a slightly more forward presentation with some added clarity. I had asked Andreas if he was using a femto clock but his comment was the femto was passe and he was using MEMS. I know this caused some discussion in another thread which I went back to Andreas and asked. He had absolutely no hesitation in his decision to use he MEMS. Honestly if Andreas feels good about his decision who am I to question especially since I've known him for the past 15 years.

If for no other reason my plan on keeping the MPS-5 was as an SACD player. I have been searching alternatives in a new DAC as well as a server and have been most interested in Mike L's recent experience with Ed Hsu and SGM/Formula but for now I have found some new excitement on the digital side of my system. I have however been playing only vinyl and tape over 90% of the time. Over these past 7-10 days I've been almost all digital.

For the record I have been using what I have thought to be well built and sturdy USB cable....The Wire World Platinum Starlight 7 in a 1.5 meter length. I have a modest NAS library of ~7TB's which I stream "wireless" to my Mac laptop and then out via this Wire World cable to the USB Xlll box which then attaches via an optical glass cable to the MPS-5.

To me I have always found the top end of the playback of these digital files to be somewhat bright on the top end yet overall recessed. I felt that I was in center rear orchestra seats as I was always leaning forward to get the feeling I was listening closer.It was as if there was something between me and the music. It was very pleasant but nothing that has rocked my boat to the point that I was playing more digital until recently.........

Most of you know that I have drunk the Master Built cable Kool Aid. There was a member here who posted recently that once you hear Ultra you cannot ever go back. For my ears and my system I have found the Master Built Ultra cable far superior to anything I have personally ever used or heard in other systems. What I love about it, is the fact that it is so neutral but yet you are hearing more information to the point that I am having to turn down the gain because the Ultra cable gave a feeling of a louder signal even though my preamp was set to the usual position. People have asked me to describe what I hear with this cable and the best way I can describe it, is with the following analogy.......we all have 16 x 9 widescreen 1080P TV's i am sure which if we here to see only this we would be eternally happy......but then along comes 4K and even though we still have the same 16 x 9 screen there is now 4 times the pixels and hence more information. This is what I hear with this cable. The picture is the same but I am hearing so much more clearly. What matters most for me is timber and this cable is so natural from top to bottom that I am always shaking my head in disbelief.

Having said that I have honestly never believed there would be an audible difference in USB cables. I had been reading reports out of Germany the buzz on the MB USB cable but Reference Series that was garnering huge excitement. I asked how could there be a difference if this is a cable that transmits 0's and 1's?

I started the following thread here on WBF..... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ound-Different&p=447978&viewfull=1#post447978

Over the past 5 days I have come to the conclusion that (for my ears and my system) there is not only an audible difference but that the difference is so noticeable that I would bet everyone could pick this USB cable over my Wire World cable 10/10 times

Now all of this for you pseudoscientists reading need to know that this was all done sighted by me and the final arbiter was my ears. So go ahead and hit me with the usual expectation bias argument and the lack of ABX studies etc, etc, etc. I don't give a crap about any of that and set out in the following way

I played my MPS-5 non stop for 3 days until I was confident that most discernible change had been made

Once done, I began listening to my digital library via the Wire World USB cable as described

Once I was comfortable with listening to many files that I know very well I disconnected the Wire World cable and inserted the MB Ultra USB cable a procedure that took less than 10 seconds. No changes were made to the gain control. My immediate thought in listening now with the ULTRA USB cable was everything sounded mediocre. It was 2 dimensional, and very polite. There was nothing that I could say with any certainty that this cable was better than the Wire World cable that I had just removed. I remembered that Leif told me that this was a brand new cable and had never had signal run through it. So before I threw up the white flag and say "bogus" I went downstairs foe the next 4 hours and watched television as I ran signal through the Ultra USB cable upstairs. After dinner I decided to listen again to prove what I thought, that there would be no difference in USB cables. All I can say was I completely wrong. I hate to use the old cliches but I have to say that whatever I had thought was present always with the Wire World cable was now gone with this MB Ultra cable. I felt so much closer to the music. The layer that was between me and the music was now gone. I was now sitting in row 3 center orchestra. The soundstage now was so much larger and so much more 'natural'. The clarity was so much better and once again I was hearing words in songs that were so much more discernible than with the Wire World cable. I was also having to turn down the gain control because the music sounded so much louder with this cable. The resonance in the strings brought goosebumps and made the hair on my arms stand up. The timber in the instruments was remarkable.In spite fall of this there was nothing that stood out. There was no top end brightness or bottom end bloat but rather top to bottom gorgeous music that got me involved from start to finish and with no fatigue. One album I played was Flamingo Fever in 24/192 and I have never heard it as I did today. Everything I threw at it I was smiling and tapping my toes.

Of course I was excited but to further the test of such a nature I felt I had to do an A/B/A test and yesterday after listening to the USB Ultra cable I once again was able to pause the music, mute the volume and change back to the Wire World Cable all in under 10 seconds and began listening. I'll be darned but I was back in the rear orchestra leaning forward again with the feeling that the same layer was again between my ears and the music. I played this for several hours and for the past day I have been doing now A/B/A tests with each file I play. On each occasion the MB Ultra USB cable has excited my auditory nerve to the point that I did not feel I was listening to the digital that I have known. Certainly I have not heard many of the excellent USB cables that are discussed here at WBF but for those of you who are going "balls out" with your digital system I have to suggest that one audition this Master Built Ultra USB cable before you make any comments here. Simply put you must try it in your system but be warned that once you hear it, it will be very difficult to part with. The cable does not come inexpensive as it has an MSRP of $12K for the first 1.5 meter and $1400 per each additional half meter.

Yes that is an unbelievable amount of money but all I can say is that once again I am perplexed by what this cable can do nor do I have any idea how except Leif has suggested that the MB engineers have found some very unique way of isolating the data from the power. Suffice it to say that whatever and however they did it, the sound is so much better than the Wire World cable that there is no way I personally can go back. In Germany the exciting reports are coming with the use of the Reference Series USB cable so this is IMO and for my ears and my system a total game changer. I have found myself immersed in the sound and can't stop listening as this one cable has brought me so much closer to the music

Finally before all the arguments start I can only say that I am aware of all the standard arguments that will be made I say get a loaner in your system and do the evaluation and then come back here and let's talk. For me this is a remarkable cable and everyone should hear it before they speculate and comment. Please bear in mind that I am not a reviewer nor do I profess to be. Rather these are my thoughts in my system and with my ears which I have trusted all the years I have been in this hobby

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Yes, all the markers...closer to the music....is what a "noiseless" system can do...congrats. It is reality,it brings digital to a new exciting level.

P.s. Steve, That cable should really shine after 70 to 100 hours...sound stage should really blossom.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Thanks Roger

In fact when I posted my thoughts above I did think of you as the changes I heard must be somehow related to noise reduction. It is impressive when the cables are switched rapidly and the music resumed that with every MB Ultra cable I have used in my system , there comes with it the impression that the sound volume has increased even though no change has been made to the gain control. It truly transforms where I am sitting from the rear orchestra to the front 3 rows. My digital set up is very simple as compared to many others here and as mentioned I haven't listened to digital much since I got back into vinyl however over the past 4 days I have not only been immersed in digital, I am also loving it. I have also lost that top end brightness I had with the Wire World cable as well as the feeling that there was always something between me and the music. It is still very difficult for me to wrap my head around it. I do suggest that for those interested in a demo to contact Leif for a loaner. This USB cable for me has opened my eyes and ears as I just don't know why the sonic change is far from subtle.

Roger, yes I have not stated the fact that continued burn in of this cable seems to make the sound stage blossom. It just doesn't sound like the digital that I have ever listened to in my system

Steve Williams

There remains one unknown for me as to why I hear the changes I do even though I still believe that the reduction in noise is the major reason. The unknown is if the USB Xlll box is a factor only because this new USB Xlll has its own separate power supply. Could this also be affecting what I am hearing? Probably unlikely inasmuch as there are no benefits heard with the Wire World cable when played through the USB Xlll box

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I don't use USB but my own experience with the MB Ultras (IC & PC) on my CD players mirror yours. There is reduction of noise and added details presented in a natural way that adds enjoyment to listening.

Jack came by to listen last week and told me he understands the reason I have not set up the analogue part of my system yet.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks Roger

In fact when I posted my thoughts above I did think of you as the changes I heard must be somehow related to noise reduction. It is impressive when the cables are switched rapidly and the music resumed that with every MB Ultra cable I have used in my system , there comes with it the impression that the sound volume has increased even though no change has been made to the gain control. It truly transforms where I am sitting from the rear orchestra to the front 3 rows. My digital set up is very simple as compared to many others here and as mentioned I haven't listened to digital much since I got back into vinyl however over the past 4 days I have not only been immersed in digital, I am also loving it. I have also lost that top end brightness I had with the Wire World cable as well as the feeling that there was always something between me and the music. It is still very difficult for me to wrap my head around it. I do suggest that for those interested in a demo to contact Leif for a loaner. This USB cable for me has opened my eyes and ears as I just don't know why the sonic change is far from subtle.

Roger, yes I have not stated the fact that continued burn in of this cable seems to make the sound stage blossom. It just doesn't sound like the digital that I have ever listened to in my system

There remains one unknown for me as to why I hear the changes I do even though I still believe that the reduction in noise is the major reason. The unknown is if the USB Xlll box is a factor only because this new USB Xlll has its own separate power supply. Could this also be affecting what I am hearing? Probably unlikely inasmuch as there are no benefits heard with the Wire World cable when played through the USB Xlll box

Hi Steve, What you describe IS noise reduction. I know some thought I mad when I said in some ways digital is better than analog,but I stand by that. I always thought digital was incomplete compared to analog. The lack of "space",as I heard very few DDD recordings beyond the speakers and less ambient information or microphone bloom. Now I get all of that and more,as the room literally disappears side to side and top to bottom. On live recordings it is just beautiful.
The volume gain is especially noticeable on break-in ,but seems to settle in time,but the increase in dynamics,power,saturation, overall gain in clarity will @ some point overwhelm your normal gain level. This phenomena seems to very by recording,but the majority are transformed in such a way. As for the sound stage it becomes without boundaries and the bass low end is just dynamic and powerful...explosive. The imaging is lifelike but in miniature,but the closer to the music feeling does mitigate this...the illusion becomes really ...way wow.

Enjoy your digital as it can always get better...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
So even with just 0's and 1's reducing noise can so dramatically improve the sound?

Well my SPDIF cable had similar effects....but until I strapped my tube DAC and transport only then did the quantum leaps begin. I continue to believe every bit 0's and 1's are there,just to be revealed. Reducing noise in the cable itself can produce a effect as you describe. Is it jitter? I don't know the technical description.....the MB engineers do. I am sure it is all some form of noise reduction,because my extreme grounding exhibits what you and so many others describe. I think the best digital cables are 75 ohm...maybe Leif can address that.

Jkenny writes about this..

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23071-Close-in-phase-noise

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Well my SPDIF cable had similar effects....but until I strapped my tube DAC and transport only then did the quantum leaps begin. I continue to believe every bit 0's and 1's are there,just to be revealed. Reducing noise in the cable itself can produce a effect as you describe. Is it jitter? I don't know the technical description.....the MB engineers do. I am sure it is all some form of noise reduction,because my extreme grounding exhibits what you and so many others describe. I think the best digital cables are 75 ohm...maybe Leif can address that.

Jkenny writes about this..

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?23071-Close-in-phase-noise

Hi Roger,

As usual MasterBuilt engineers don't share very much info lol. All I know is they say these USB cables are constructed different than your typical USB. As you say "Noise is the enemy" and MB has spent years perfecting this to the best of their ability. I wish I knew more:(

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

As usual MasterBuilt engineers don't share very much info lol. All I know is they say these USB cables are constructed different than your typical USB. As you say "Noise is the enemy" and MB has spent years perfecting this to the best of their ability. I wish I knew more:(

Thanks for sharing Leif.....I think we all wish we had more info on this interesting topic. :) Congrats on such fine cables!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So even with just 0's and 1's reducing noise can so dramatically improve the sound?

YES! Digital's enemies are noise and jitter. More on that in my own system thread, in an upcoming post. And congrats on the results you got; and now get off of USB :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Tasos

Only problem is the input to the USB xlll box is USB

I would call this a problem of choice - plenty of beautiful DACs to choose from, like the Vivaldi

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Congrats Steven. I would concur and I am not sure why, but everything makes a difference including USB.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Wow is an understatement!

I have to say thank you to Steve for inviting me to your house today. I finally after many years got the opportunity to hear his fantastic setup. I also met Kathleen his wonderful wife. I told him the same thing that I am writing and that is the pictures do not do the system justice, or indicate how well built the room is and how pristine his system is. I didn't bring my Canon pro camera and that was a mistake. I took some pics with my iPhone but they were blurry due to not using the flash.We listened to different songs both vocals and instrumentals. Listened to streaming, CD's, and even open reel. No vinyl was played. Hopefully if I am invited back again we can accomplish that part. The system as a whole is the "BEST" system I have heard so far in my lifetime. The room alone makes you realize that a lot of research and time was put into building it. Good job Steve, you did it right!

Attachments

• 34745232435_8c86405928_b.jpg
    34745232435_8c86405928_b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 34745232875_3107aeef62_b.jpg
    34745232875_3107aeef62_b.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 33936075463_f0006cef01_b.jpg
    33936075463_f0006cef01_b.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 332

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing