Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Ok - here is the explanation on the umbilicals.

There are 2 cables that go from the PSU to the preamplifier. The first one (the larger of the 2) is a 9 pin cable that carries the high voltage, filament voltage , output signal ground and in the case of the Tape preamp - the negative rail for the LTP. This cable is made up of 4 shielded 2 conductor cables and a single larger conductor for output signal ground. All of these cables are teflon insulated, silver plated copper and are built for aerospace use. These are all bundled inside an overall tinned copper braid so that all the power supplies are double shielded. The pigtails that plug into each chassis are the safety earth that goes to the ground pin of the iec power receptacle. This way, it is possible to lift signal ground without compromising safety. The smaller PSU cable is a 4 conductor double shielded cable for the bipolar voltage supplies in the head amplifier or the MC section amplifier in the case of the Phono stage. This arrangement allows the construction of a true star ground for audio. The benefits are: no ground current modulation of the very sensitive head amplifier stage by the much larger currents of the output stages. Its a pain to hand build these umbilicals but it pays off in extremely low audio ground plane impedance and the ultimate goal of better sound. Also, i can accomodate custom lengths if needed. I never thought that my cable construction would require explanation but I'm glad to do it. ;)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I have had the new tubes in for perhaps 60-80 hours and didn't want to speculate or make any sweeping statements regarding these unused ECC83 flat plate vs my NOS ECC 803S which I have been using for the past 4-5 years...

As a reminder here is what my tube dealer stated regarding the 2 tubes...

The Telefunken ECC803S tubes are very difficult to find in NOS condition and the prices have 'gone through the roof' over the last year or two, to the tune of $1,000.00 or more per tube!

I will see what we can do, if you are really interested. In my opinion they are not worth this price.

Have you tried or considered the Telefunken ECC83 smooth plate tube? It can be very close in sound and actually has a wider less compressed sound stage than the ECC803S.

The ECC803S was designed as an upgrade tube for Broadcast-stations in Germany, where a compressed signal was advantageous to the small car or home radios.

I thought that a side by side visual comparison of the two tubes is helpful. On the left of all photos you will see the new ECC83's with the flat plate and on the right is the ECC803S. You will instantly see the difference in size of the two flat plates. The metal at the the inside top of both tubes seems to be different.

Steve Williams

So what have I been hearing?

First off the sound is definitely different. There is no change in my soundstage but there does seem to be more depth. I say this only because singers tend now to be recessed behind the arc of the speakers. The sound is significantly different IMO most in the mid bass. Voices seem to be more real. There is more air around the strings and mouths and somewhat better imaging. The dynamics tend to be slightly better as well when compared to my ECC 803S.

Still very early in the evaluation as I expect more changes as the tubes burn in.

Stay tuned

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-I'm surprised that you have much more getter left on your ECC803S tubes than your brand new ECC83 tubes. I was also surprised that the ECC803S are taller than the ECC83 tubes. I do see the halo ring around the bottom of the getter on your ECC803S tubes which tells me they have been used, but the amount of clean getter left is still larger than the ECC83 tubes.

Steve Williams

well I now have ~100 hours on these new flat plate ECC83's and I must say that I really enjoy them. They have many of the attributes of my ECC803S but enough differences that make them appealing. As the tubes burn in I am finding slightly more timbre in the new tubes as well as an airy openness around the instruments, singers etc. Soundstage with both is essentially the same except for a feeling of more depth as I am finding the performers are slightly recessed behind the front plane of the speakers.The more I listen to the new tubes the more I like them. I almost see a similarity here between vinyl users with multiple cartridges and rolling different 12AX7 tubes. It all depends on the flavor you wish to hear and for this reason I will keep both. Talking with Nick a few days ago about different ECC83 tubes, his preference is for the box plate tubes. The Tesla box plates from the 70's /80's were made on Telefunken equipment and sound very similar and are the best of the ecc83/803s/12AX7 types that he has heard. I have located a pair MINT NOS 1976 Gold Pins Replica of Telefunken Frame Grid Premium ECC83 12AX7- Rožnov n.p. Závod Vrchlabí - Czech. These are fashioned after my ECC803S

Steve Williams

I couldn't resist Nick's suggestion about these Tesla tubes and bought an unused pair which are on the way

If these sound anything like my Tele ECC803S, then this is a winner as the tube costs so much less and can be more readily found than the Telefunken

Here are a few images of the tube

Tesla+E83CC+1971-73+Frame+Grid+Roznov+Zavod+Vrchlabi+1+-+Czechoslovakia.jpg

So this will leave me with 3 different 12AX7 tubes which will work their way through my Lamm ML3 amp

I am most anxious to hear the Tesla. The new Tele ECC83 flat plate tubes I got this past week are starting to open up and sound really good

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I couldn't resist Nick's suggestion about these Tesla tubes and bought an unused pair which are on the way

If these sound anything like my Tele ECC803S, then this is a winner as the tube costs so much less and can be more readily found than the Telefunken

Here are a few images of the tube

View attachment 10854

So this will leave me with 3 different 12AX7 tubes which will work their way through my Lamm ML3 amp

I am most anxious to hear the Tesla. The new Tele ECC83 flat plate tubes I got this past week are starting to open up and sound really good

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they compare to Tele. I am contemplating going from Mullard 6922s to Telefunken but have been recommended to try Genelex which are cheaper and apparently have similar profile of voice...85% of the quality for a lot less.

Wondering if the Tesla similarly is voiced like Telefunken.

Steve Williams

Wondering if the Tesla similarly is voiced like Telefunken.

according to Nick this tube sounds the same as my Tele ECC803S but for a whole lot less money. The Tesla also has gold pins

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
according to Nick this tube sounds the same as my Tele ECC803S but for a whole lot less money. The Tesla also has gold pins

Thanks, Steve. Will check them out.

Steve Williams

Thanks, Steve. Will check them out.

Look at it this way

IF you can even find an authentic matched pair of Tele ECC803S, you will pay anywhere from $1000-$1400/tube so almost $3K

These are theTesla tubes you want...... NOS 1976 Gold Pins Replica of Telefunken Frame Grid Premium ECC83 12AX7- Rožnov n.p. Závod Vrchlabí - Czech.

all for $90 per tube :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look at it this way

IF you can even find an authentic matched pair of Tele ECC803S, you will pay anywhere from $1000-$1400/tube so almost $3K

These are theTesla tubes you want...... NOS 1976 Gold Pins Replica of Telefunken Frame Grid Premium ECC83 12AX7- Rožnov n.p. Závod Vrchlabí - Czech.

all for $90 per tube :)

now that's more like it! Thanks, Steve.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'm in Laguna Beach at a business meeting and Steve has invited me to visit his new room this afternoon. thanks Steve.

really looking forward to it.

just got back to my hotel from Steve's place. I appreciate Steve's hospitality and he was the perfect host and DJ. his home is really beautiful, and the setting is quite special. he is definitely a man at leisure. good for him.

the room was spectacular both in the performance and the look. the system is holographic and alive. I love the sound.....those amps are magical. sure; 30 or so watts has a specific performance envelope, but there is never a sense at all that there is more to be found, or you are missing anything. and the presentation is luscious and involving.....delicate and energetic. the bass was physical and articulate.

I never had any sense that the size of the room was any limitation. the digital was excellent, I expected nothing less. and the tape was really great.

when I consider it took me 6 years to tame my room, and Steve has only been in his room this year I have to say Bravo to what I heard. the acoustic designer did a fine job and is to be commended.

thanks Steve, for a very enjoyable afternoon.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-Sounds like you had a good time. And Steve, another positive review of your new room and your gear. I'm glad the wait to pull this off was worth it.

Steve Williams

It was a fun afternoon to have Mike come by for a few hours of listening yesterday and some critical evaluation of my system. I must admit that it did sound pretty good as the new Telefunken ECC 83's continue to break in. I now have well over 100 hours on these tubes and they do sound wonderful

What I didn't expect was the safe arrival of those Tesla tubes that I ordered last week. They are sure pretty and yes never before used. It was tempting to make the switch before Mike arrived but I wanted to have some hours on the tubes as well as critical listening before others hear them in my system. As a result after Mike left I spent 6-7 hours of listening to these Tesla tubes which according to Nick were made in the Telefunken factory by Tesla and have box plates and gold pins similar to my famed Tele ECC803S all at a much reduced price when compared to the price of the Telefunken tubes (if you can ever find them). They do lack the diamond emblem on the pin side of the tube. What I have heard so far is nothing short of sensational.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing