MG Audio Planus CU2

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I stumbled onto this forum quite by accident (I can hardly remember where I saw the link), but I'm glad I did. I saw Priaptor's recommendation of the MG Design Planus interconnects and with a 30-day guarantee and that pricing, how could a body go wrong??? Mine will be arriving shortly and nothing could please me more than for them to surpass my Valhallas. I've observed an insane pricing of cables over the past 20 years (remember when the MIT interconnects, introduced in issue 47 of TAS, circa 1987 cost just $480???) and I'm pretty disgusted by it. If inflation was based on audio prices, we'd be in complete global collapse. Nonetheless, I've bought a number of pricey wires over the years, just to hear if they were worth it in my system (and always keeping in mind that if the interconnects and speaker cables were superior to my speakers, I was not going to hear what they could really do. That's the thing: everything in your system needs to be equivalent to everything else. It only takes one link in the chain to give the wrong impression of the better component not being as good as it is because of a wire, or a CD player that doesn't show off your wire's abilities). These days, EVERYthing counts more than it ever did, because everything is so expensive, one can't afford to make a mistake unless the manufacturer offers a 30-day guarantee. I'd like to see a speaker manufacturer who does that. Hah!

If the CU2s are even equal to Valhalla, which, I'm led to believe they will be, if only due to their having a more filled in upper bass/lower midrange, one of Valhalla's weak areas (not dynamically, just tonally. There's just a bit too much Kate Moss and not enough Cindy Crawford in those realms, although, dynamically, one wouldn't notice it), I can live with a slight loss of transparency.I prefer the full tonality of an instrument to "absolute" transparency, although I'd like both.For less than 3k, that is. I'm glad the CT-1s are priced as they are: the days of greed is good have turned to greed corrupts (just look at how many senators, governors and congressman have ended up (nearly) behind bars for corruption (based on money). And, I'm unwilling to pay 4, 5, or 6k for interconnects, period. That is, unless my speakers are 30k, or Magnepan 3.7s (how cool is it that a $5.5k speaker has all the transparency of some of the 30K speakers! GO, MAGNEPAN!!!!!!!), or 14k Nola Micro Grands. Without superb speakers, electronics - and lets not forget - the room itself has to be well-balanced - I'm unlikely to hear the full effect of the expensive stuff, but even then, I wouldn't want to pay the there's-a-sucker-born-every-minute-stupid pricing of many of today's components. It almost seems there's a race to see who can bring out the most expensive speaker these days. Yes, I've heard the "exotic materials" argument, too. I've never seen so many speakers over 20k, and all since around 2005, when Magico started the stampede. Before that, they were a few speakers in that range (mainly Wilsons) but otherwise, that kind of pricing for standmounts - and even floorstanders - was uncommon. And the electronics? especially digital, truly sickens me. 70K for digital when a 8K turntable can breathe the Breath of Life as well (ignore the ruler-flat bass: that's not my thing) as any digital setup.

Back to the Planus. If the coppers are great, I'll spring for the silvers, too. it would be a real hoot to pay 2k for two lengths of interconnects that equal Valhalla, or any of the other high-priced spread. Sure, you'll likely get that last "ping" and "ting" for 15x the price - until something better comes along. I was once on the mountaintop and I still wasn't satisfied. Versa 2.3, Goldmund, Watt/Puppies, MIT, ARC, VAC. which, at the time were IT. I'd rather approach "IT" with a good 20K system, not a 50K system, 100k or 200k system, just on economic principle. But more power to those of you who can afford it. I just can't justify (or afford) it anymore.

So, Velociraptor ;), I mean PRIAPTOR, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I just put the new Planus III AG speaker wires in yesterday. They are a new geometry and use silver instead of copper planar wires. They are fabulous. I would say they are a big upgrade especially when used with their new AG II ICs. The new speaker wires do NOT sound like I have heard silver sound in the past. I have heard silver wires before. They can be bright and edgy. The Planus III AG are very transparent but handle HF with delicacy. In fact, they make the Planus III sound more like what I thought silver wires "SHOULD" sound like. The AG speaker wires don't overemphasize the leading edge but still gives up significantly more detail in the music; total win-win!!

http://mgaudiodesign.com/Planus3AG.htm

http://mgaudiodesign.com/Planus AG2.htm

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From http://mgaudiodesign.com/Planus3AG.htm:

"In terms audiophiles like to use, Planus III AG does everything better than Planus III. The soundstage is wider, deeper and more three-dimensional. The dynamic shading is more evident, with more impact on dynamic passages. It better captures both the leading edge and decay of the fundamentals and overtones. One gets a better sense of pace and timing. The music comes from a blacker background and the retrieval of detail is just stunning -- without any glare or brightness."

Interesting. When we tried the Planus III SCs and Planus AG1 balance interconnects, these are exactly the areas we felt were lacking compared to the new Audience Au 24SE cables.

Last edited:

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
they discontinued planus III ag and launched IV and IV ag. Pretty short life span for a seemingly very promising product. Oh, they significantly increased prices, too. Anybody has first-hand info on what is going on? Is there any difference between III and IV or is it just a funny game to raise prices? Looks that way to me...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing