Koetsu Stone Bodied Cartridges anyone heard the differences?

108CY

May 4, 2013
I love my Koetsu Coral Stone its superb but always wondered about trying the others in the range eg Tigereye, Blue Onyx has anyone heard them and the others in the range also the diamond cantilever option.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I love my Koetsu Coral Stone its superb but always wondered about trying the others in the range eg Tigereye, Blue Onyx has anyone heard them and the others in the range also the diamond cantilever option.

I love my Coralstone too. If I try another, it will be the Blue Lace.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a Jade and have heard quite a few of the others. My brother has a Blue Lace. Mullard88 has many stone bodies including a vintage long body Onyx, a Coral Stone and a Diamond cantilevered Tigereye. A friend who lives down the street from me has Coral Stones in Stereo and mono. The guy here who has a whole lot of experience with all stone bodied models is our resident NBA fanatic Jadis.

Although the innards are all the same they do sound different because of the MOHs scale differences of the bodies. To my ears the Coral is most balanced, the Jade the fastest sounding, the Blue and Tigereyes the most delicate and refined top ends.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
After hearing most of the stone bodies mentioned here, it's really hard to pick or say which is the best or what to 'upgrade' as upgrading simply connotes going up the price ladder, and not necessarily in performance vis-a-vis the price difference. The Jade to me offers the best value based on its price and to this day it's still on my wish list. Most stone bodies are faster than the wood bodies and among the stones, my take is that one normally cannot go wrong with any of them. It may be system dependent too, because in mine, the Blue Lace sounded the speediest, the CBS DM Mastersound of Friday Night in SF remains the most riveting I have heard in my system with it. The Jade is the most heavenly in terms of vocals (on Carol Kidd's When I Dream), and the Coral Stone is so good I cannot really put in a signature in it, it's just fantastic all ways.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Jade jumped up to 15k last I looked. It might not be the value it once was. Yup, I think it is very arm dependent. The best I've heard Koetsus are on Koetsus, SMEs and Triplanars. They are perfectly fine with my Grahams but somehow not as solid in the punch area. Just a little bit looser. Maybe they like gimbals?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Jade jumped up to 15k last I looked. It might not be the value it once was. Yup, I think it is very arm dependent. The best I've heard Koetsus are on Koetsus, SMEs and Triplanars. They are perfectly fine with my Grahams but somehow not as solid in the punch area. Just a little bit looser. Maybe they like gimbals?

Or air bearing arms. :D Stable and friction free. :D But yes, Koestus sounded good on its own designed arm, SMEs and Triplanar too as I can attest.

I noticed too that not only the Jade has increased in price but also most of the lower models. Prices were a lot lower when I carried the line here.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What's the deal with the diamond cantilever option ? Is it worth it ? Is the cantilever made of a single diamond crystal or is it diamond dust bonded to some other cantilever material ?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's the deal with the diamond cantilever option ? Is it worth it ? Is the cantilever made of a single diamond crystal or is it diamond dust bonded to some other cantilever material ?

hi christian,

i haven't exactly done an a/b comparison of a diamond cantilever vs a non-diamond one so i can't really gauge on the worth of the $4k option. i was told that the diamond cantilever is a whole piece affair up to the stylus, so it was carved or machined from 1 piece without any joints or bonding. as such it is brittle and the stylus can be snapped from the cantilever with some violent bounce. i actually had one customer who did this, ouch ouch ouch. My heart almost sank when he told me about it and the cost is painful as well out of the pocket. i was told by my regional distributor that this diamond cantilver/stylus represents the ultimate in the design philosophy of fumihiko sugano on cartridges.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Or air bearing arms. :D Stable and friction free. :D But yes, Koestus sounded good on its own designed arm, SMEs and Triplanar too as I can attest.

I noticed too that not only the Jade has increased in price but also most of the lower models. Prices were a lot lower when I carried the line here.

You never invited me when you had all the precious stones around! :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for the info Phil. More the reason to have your records spin flat (Vacuum or Perimeter/center weights) to be kind to the diamond cantilever.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the info Phil. More the reason to have your records spin flat (Vacuum or Perimeter/center weights) to be kind to the diamond cantilever.

anytime, christian. :)

from what i heard, whiskey, scotch and the like are also not recommended before playing with the diamond cantilever/stylus. :D

Emil

Jul 5, 2012
Guys,

Where do you buy screws for your stone body Koetsus? As you know Koetsu use M2.6, JIS screws in opposite to the standard M2.5, DIN ones. I had my Blue Lace rebuilt earlier this year and my screws from Koetsu USA (no more available via Acoustic Sounds) have been changed with the transport aluminum ones from the Koetsu office.:(

I tried a pair of Lyra screws (same size and thread standard), but I did not like the result, too.

Thanks in advance,

Emil

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guys,

Where do you buy screws for your stone body Koetsus? As you know Koetsu use M2.6, JIS screws in opposite to the standard M2.5, DIN ones. I had my Blue Lace rebuilt earlier this year and my screws from Koetsu USA (no more available via Acoustic Sounds) have been changed with the transport aluminum ones from the Koetsu office.:(

I tried a pair of Lyra screws (same size and thread standard), but I did not like the result, too.

Thanks in advance,

Emil

What about Soundsmith?

Emil

Jul 5, 2012
What about Soundsmith?

They have the standard diameter 2.5, can't be tightened with a torque driver and the extra head weight would not please all tonearm designs.

I found that the cartridge works best at 0.3 Nm, done with WERA torque driver.

The best bolt material is that of van den hul and naim Aro bolts, sadly not the required M2.6 JIS.

Emil

Jul 5, 2012
Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Emil

OK guys, what kind of bolts are you using with your precious Koetsu?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
OK guys, what kind of bolts are you using with your precious Koetsu?

For me, nothing fancy, just a pair of gold plated bolts and nuts for my Rosewood Signature. I forgot where or how I got them. :)

DSCN0180.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have always lusted for a stoned Koetsu (the Coral or the Blue Lace will do), right now I use a Blue Angel Mantis with Ruby (well now aluminium due to an accident while cleaning the plinth) canteliver that keeps me close to whar I expect from the earlier.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's a nice looking cartridge. And this is the first time I can say the same about bolts.

Thanks Emil. My last bolt was black colored and it was an allen bolt. And for some reasons, I put the nuts on top rather than below. This time, I wanted to do it 'right' and make it look better.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Jadis, I hope you are reading this and can offer me some advice on a Koetsu purchase (since you are a great authority on Koetsus according to Jack). Between the Coralstone and the jade which will you choose, taking value into consideration? On an overall scale of 10 and if the Coralstone were 10, what would the Jade be?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing