What Would Be The Best All-In-One Tool To Buy

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Steve.

In order to get the best bang for one's buck what multipurpose "all-in-one" tool make and brand would you recommend for home improvement or does such a tool exist

That's an interesting question. For home improvement, I don't think "one" tool exists. With that said, I will place the top three tools on a list as "must have" non-powered tools for any home improvement project.

The first tool that came to mind was a Leatherman even though I wouldn't really consider it a "home improvement tool". More like a useful tool to have available when you don't want to break out the full Monty of tools to get a small job done. I have about 5 or 6 of these type tools in different "kits" throughout the house. Some examples for me are; one in the fishing box, one in the "tool kit", one or two in the kitchen junk drawer, one in the electronic tool kit and I even have one I keep in each vehicle. Each one of them is a little different with different specific functions/tools but only one of them would I deem handy for around the house. That would be in my "tool kit" for those jobs where I don't want to keep traveling up and down the stairs and/or a ladder just to grab another tool [think heating A/C unit in an attic or crawlspace]. It's actually not a Leatherman though, it's a Victorinox VN-53936 multi-tool. The exact tool I'm talking about can be seen below.

Below is a list of tools that this particular one has available at your disposal. http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/VN...rmy-SwissTool-X-4-12-inch-Closed-Nylon-Sheath

Pliers
Screwdriver (2mm)
Screwdriver (3mm)
Wire cutter (for wire up to a hardness of 40 hrc)
Screwdriver (5mm)
Bottle opener
Screwdriver (7.5 mm)
Large blade
Scissors
Metal file
Metal saw
Wood saw
Reamer/punch
Phillips screwdriver
Chisel/scraper
Strong crate opener
Wire bender
Wire stripper
Wire scraper
Wire crimper
Can opener
Ruler (9 inches)
Ruler (230mm)
Hard wire cutter

Just don't plan on cutting a high tensile strength wire with the wire cutter. Mine didn't like that too much. Other than that, this has got to be the most user friendly, functional, strong and dependable multi-tool I have in my arsenal. It's easy on the hands for those tough jobs, well thought out and you actually use the tools provided for normal household type jobs. Though I would still prefer to have the right tool for the job, this one covers most of the commonly used tools one would need for basic projects.

Next on the list is one tool I have that I'm sure most of you probably wouldn't think of, though I may be incorrect with that assumption. It is your everyday utility knife. There is, however, one brand and type that I insist on having with me. The Kobalt closeable utility knife. This knife can be seen below.

Please allow me to digress. I have owned an estimated 100+ utility knives of all types, brands and design. This one is the most user friendly, dependable and longest lasting one I have ever used. The blades actually stay in place when cutting. Many, many of the ones I have used have had the blades slide out on me after some use when cutting into something thick, gooey or multi-layered. Other designs wear at the hinge and they will slip and close during use after some heavy usage and then you have the designs to where the hook wears out or breaks easily and/or the screws that hold the clip on strip out easily with constant usage. Some other designs will become difficult to close while wearing gloves [rubber/leather etc...] and the risk for cutting said gloves becomes greater because of the design to close the knife.

The above knife is the best of all worlds and a blade change out can be had within 2 seconds max. This is whether you want to flip the current blade, install a new one or change a razor blade to a carpet cutter blade. 2 seconds and you are done and the blade is locked in place. My only gripe with this particular knife is that it doesn't pry open cans of paint quickly like some of the other models did. I keep this on me at all times. It doesn't matter whether I'm formally dressed, working, playing or just relaxing. I use mine many, many times everyday. Something always comes up to where you or someone else needs a knife and this one is always sharp [due to the disposable blades] and this is an indispensable tool for home improvements.

The third and final tool to make this list is a 6-in-one painter's tool. I personally use a fleet of Purdy's and Hyde's because of the durability and handle. Below are pictures of a quality painter's 6 in 1 tool with the preferred type handle(s). This is one tool you do not want to skimp on for any home improvement project.

These are great for helping to clean out rollers, removing caulk in all of those stubborn areas [along with the utility knife aforementioned] even in corners, makes a great rough chisel and center punch, will help separate pieces of framing/flooring/tile, clean and scrape out grout, assist in prying/removing nails and screws from framing wood or most any other material, assist in resetting nails into sheet rock, removing wallpaper, scouring/breaking brick, spreading out small amounts of material, bending metal......oh, the list goes on and on but I think you get the gist.

These would be my top three must have [non-powered] tools for any home improvement project or tool box.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing