Eagles:70's Studio Discography now on HDTRACKS in 192 Khz/24 bit resolution

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The JCF Latte will not do 24-bit

From the manual:

A note about bit depth: The D/A will make use of all data presented to it (whether it be 24 or 2
bits) from the AES compatible inputs under all conditions. The AES compatible outputs will
have 24 bits of valid data in the stream under all conditions except internally clocked 192k. This
condition will have 18 bits worth of valid data in the output stream. The lower 6 bits are unmasked
will have static junk data in them and can optionally be disregarded. No dither is used in the Latte anywhere.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Interesting - from the manual this looks to be a native 18bit multibit ADC as the latency is below 10uS. It looks to be using digital sample rate conversion to do 44k1 so 20bits presumably is justified but the bottom 4 bits will certainly be noise.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
And is the 24/96 option true 24-bit?

Lee

Better yet, is the 24/96 a software produced downsampling of the 24/192 capture, or is it a new native capture of the tape (the proper way)?

Its the same old HDTracks Guessing Game.

Ask them and they reply with the canned "We only know what the labels tell us".

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Better yet, is the 24/96 a software produced downsampling of the 24/192 capture, or is it a new native capture of the tape (the proper way)?

Its the same old HDTracks Guessing Game.

Ask them and they reply with the canned "We only know what the labels tell us".

Again..... it has nothing to do with HDtracks! Provenance was given with full disclosure. Now you want to pick what equipment Bernie Grundman uses for transfers?? Give me a break......

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In my ape-brain understanding of bit rate & sampling rate, I was under the impression that more bits was of more importance to sound quality than a higher sampling rate. While the 192kHz rate file is only 18 bit depth, it's unclear whether the 96kHz file is a full REAL 24 bit or not.

Lee

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Again..... it has nothing to do with HDtracks! Provenance was given with full disclosure. Now you want to pick what equipment Bernie Grundman uses for transfers?? Give me a break......

I beg to differ on full provenance. Big time, Analogue Productions knows how
to provide provenance, but unfortunately Chad is not into downloads.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I beg to differ on full provenance. Big time,

"The hi-res remastering of the entire Eagles box set was done using the original analog master tapes by Bernie Grundman Mastering using a JCF Audio Latte A/D converter."

Geez.... what the hell else do you what??

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
In my ape-brain understanding of bit rate & sampling rate, I was under the impression that more bits was of more importance to sound quality than a higher sampling rate. While the 192kHz rate file is only 18 bit depth, it's unclear whether the 96kHz file is a full REAL 24 bit or not.

If they downsampled from the 192/18 to create the 96/24,it will be the SOS.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
"The hi-res remastering of the entire Eagles box set was done using the original analog master tapes by Bernie Grundman Mastering using a JCF Audio Latte A/D converter."

Geez.... what the hell else do you what??

But Bruce, you are telling us they did not use an ADC that was capable of 24 bits, yet it is being sold as such.
I happen to know that Warner has been archiving essentially their entire catalog to 192, so I have no issues with
what I am seeing. But this is being marketed to AUDIOPHILES. Nobody else. The reason so many are sitting on the side lines
is they feel like their is too little information being ofered. I see these types of posts on half a dozen forums..something like
"I would love to buy the 192 khz DL of XYX, but there are no liner notes or additional information."

You GOTTA give the customer what he wants .Period.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
And is the 24/96 option true 24-bit?

Nobody but nobody has true 24-bit at 96k. Its well beyond the bounds of engineering currently - I think 24/1 probably exists though in some instrumentation applications - oil exploration demands something around this level of dynamic range.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nobody but nobody has true 24-bit at 96k. Its well beyond the bounds of engineering currently - I think 24/1 probably exists though in some instrumentation applications - oil exploration demands something around this level of dynamic range.

I still think DSD is the best digital archiving format. SACDs to me are still the best sounding digital.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing