Homemade Egg Drop Soup

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Keith. I don't know whether or not you have ever made this before but I'll go ahead and ask anyways. :)

I have tried various powdered pre-mixed packages and I've even attempted homemade recipes that I have ran across in my cookbooks and online. Unfortunately, none of them turned out tasting particularly good. The texture was off, they were all generally bland and the "gelatin" aspect of the soup was either too thick or too runny. I tried to make this homemade about 30 or so times a couple of years back and since then, I have just flat out given up. I would really like to know how to make it, what techniques or secrets there are or just plain what I may be doing wrong. It seems like a simple soup and it very well could be. Just not for me.

Do you have any advice, recipes, techniques or tips?

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am almost convinced there is a conspiracy among chinese chef to never teach foreigners how to cook their dishes :). Almost nothing in cookbooks teach you how to make anything close to what you eat in restaurants in my experience. Gary will teach us otherwise I am sure but that is my stance and I am sticking to it :D.

On egg drop, we made it once and it was good but it was half way down the path of hot and sour soup!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Sorry Tom, I am Chinese. I am not allowed to teach foreigners how to cook our food! ;)

However, I don't think egg drop soup is hard to make. If your chicken stock is too bland - make a better chicken stock (don't use that powdered stuff). If it's too thin - add more cornstarch. About the only tricky bit is the egg itself - about the only tip I can offer is that the egg mixture should be thinned out with water (so that it disperses more easily) and the stock should be about 75-80C and spinning around like a whirlpool when you add the egg mixture. If it is too high, the egg will set into a a thick rope the moment it hits the water and not the thin wispy ribbons that you want.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing